Chewbacca Sound

How and what to teach and learn.
CaptainBalrog

Chewbacca Sound

Post by CaptainBalrog »

Hi

I've been playing a little bit for a few years but since this covid thing started I've been playing a lot.

I've expanded my range a fair bit and improved my tone too but just recently I've developed this strange Chewbacca like sound that happens every now and again. Weirdly this seems to be a relaxation problem. I used to find that if I made weird noises it was because I was trying too hard and getting tense but now I'm pretty relaxed when I play.

It's really hard to describe the sound but the closest approximation really is Chewbacca. It's a sort of flappy sensation too.

I'm sure I've heard it done deliberately as well, possibly by Trombone Shorty. My issue is that when it comes I have no control over it at all! It could be a mixture of relaxation and fatigue I suppose. It rarely happens right at the start of a session.

Anyone experienced this? If so some advise on how to get past it would be most welcome!
Burgerbob

Re: Chewbacca Sound

Post by Burgerbob »

Sounds like a double buzz to me.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Wilktone

Post by Wilktone »

I was thinking the same thing as Bob, it sounds like a double buzz. I've had issues with that myself in the past, but what was happening with me and my correction might not necessarily be the best thing for you. That said, it's usually related to the lower lip and getting that lip into (and keeping it) in its correct position by strengthening your overall embouchure formation might help. It also might be that your mouthpiece placement on the lips is too close to 50/50. One lip or another should predominate and if it's too centered vertically the lips can fight for predominance and cause a double buzz.

It also might be something different. Can you post video of your chops while playing? I'd need to see and hear what's going on to make a more accurate guess.

Dave
--
David Wilken
https://wilktone.com
Basbasun

Post by Basbasun »

It does not sound like a double buzz to me. Years ago I had a problem that really sounded like Chewbacca. I had my upper lip sawn together after a blow on on my face, I did not tuch the horn for four weaks . When I started to play (it did hurt like hell) I had problem with my embouchure. I did continiou to play and finaly had some sucses. But sometimes when I was tired my upper lip was blown int the mpc and the soft tissue inside my upper lip did vibrate in a lower frequency than the tone i was playing, My upper lip was still weak. I still have a scar that still feels numb in my lip, but I am stronger, the upper lip works and no more Cewbacca sound. For years I had a very easy time to make double buz, (thanks to the scar) actually made some money on it, but that is not the same sound. For double tones is when the left and right side of the embouchure makes different tones, the Chewbacca (as I understand it) is the inside of the upper lip (for me) is going in far in the mpc and start to vibrate, in a lower frequency. Super soft lång tones can be the way to go to start with. But then work up to loud er and louder.
CaptainBalrog

Post by CaptainBalrog »

Hi folks

Thanks for the replies.

I've watched a few videos that demonstrate the double buzz and it does sound similar. However it could also be this other thing that Basbasun mentions.

Over the last few days I've found that taking a long time to warm up gradually really helps. But it's still there a bit.

I'll see if I can post a video. I should be able to share a link from google photos or something.

Cheers
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

Play only very softly for at least two weeks, so that it never happens. Then gradually introduce more volume but NEVER enough to cause that sound. In about a month you should be safe.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
BrianJohnston

Post by BrianJohnston »

Sounds like you'd fit right in with the Northwestern Trombone studio. (Some of you will understand)
Fort Wayne Philharmonic
Sniffynose

Post by Sniffynose »

I posted this in another area, but it may be helpful for your situation so I’ll paste it here.

Perhaps you could try the P.E.T.E. - Personal Embouchure Training Exerciser
http://www.warburton-usa.com/index.php/pete

After playing about 16 years worth of live shows every weekend with Latin and R&B bands I found that I had a bit of a ‘hole’ in the middle of my tone. My playing was airy sounding when quiet and too aggressive when loud.
I tried Caruso‘s which were heading in the right direction but not producing results fast enough.
One day while discussing my problem with a colleague he mentioned that perhaps I have a bit of a spread in my Embouchure. This really got me thinking! So after some research I came across the PETE trainer. I bought one right away and it solve my problem in about three days. I couldn’t believe it!
I have a nice tight buzz again and my beautiful sweet sound is back. Control in my middle, high and extreme high register is better than it’s ever been. I can play ballads better than ever and even sound a lot like Bill Watrous.
I hardly use the tool anymore but the results have remained. I go back to once in a while because it’s great for endurance and staying on top of things.
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

I youtubed chewbacca and that doesn't sound like a double buzz to me but of course we haven't heard what you sound like.

Chewbacca sounds like the tight strangled sound you get if you try to play loud with your teeth closed. You can close your teeth and play pianissimo like the trumpet players do when they're working on whisper tones but if you get louder and don't open it sounds awful. Well, it does when I do it, so I don't.

So now we have three theories: double buzz, embouchure too spread, teeth too closed. I bet there are three more if we think about it.
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

Another thought. I've played with someone who generally plays well but occasionally gets a tight strained sound that is kind of chewbaca like.

He has quite a bit of motion and it is opposite to mine - while I as a high placement 3A move up when I ascend, he moves down to ascend. A lot. As I understand it, that would mean his placement should be medium or maybe even low. But he believes that mouthpiece placement should be high and has used the phrase "the nose knows."

If there's any relation to the OP's occasional problem, maybe when the OP relaxes the mouthpiece placement drifts from optimal? Just speculating. If that's the case Doug would likely spot it in ten seconds.

Return to “Teaching & Learning”