Returning to the trombone

How and what to teach and learn.
PosauneCat

Returning to the trombone

Post by PosauneCat »

Hey folks!

Short intro, I’m new here. I did undergrad work at Eastman where I was a performance and lit major on trombone with a minor in musicology. After that did grad work in musicology and theory. My professional trombone career was short lived in NYC doing studio work and shows. I stopped playing about 30 years ago because I went in a different direction playing piano (my second instrument) composing, and teaching. Now I am trying to get my chops back, largely for fun, but also to record parts in some of my mixed media digital works.

Anyway...So far so good! I’ve been playing for about 5 weeks and I’m pleased with my progress. Like riding a bike to an extent, actually more like remembering riding a bike! :-) My embouchure started developing quickly and I believe correctly. What I can’t remember from my earliest days (I started play bone when I was 14) is how long it takes to improve range. I’m comfortable with F above middle C but uncomfortable going any higher yet. Low range is pretty good...I played bass trombone for a number of years.

So can some of you younger guys or teachers give me a refresher on high range development and how long it takes to really start to improve.

Thanks,
PC

PS, Im understandably impatient because my brain knows how to play the trombone, my face, not so much.
Last edited by PosauneCat on Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doug Elliott

Re: Returning to the trombone

Post by Doug Elliott »

I think your progress so far is pretty much to be expected. If you're interested, I give lessons by Skype, specializing in correct embouchure formation and mechanics. In one lesson I can make the range you have much easier and probably add at least a 5th.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

If you're interested, I give lessons by Skype, specializing in correct embouchure formation and mechanics.
:clever: Do this
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Vegasbound

Post by Vegasbound »

Have a lesson with Doug
PosauneCat

Post by PosauneCat »

Hi Doug, can I get your contact info?
Doug Elliott wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:27 am I think your progress so far is pretty much to be expected. If you're interested, I give lessons by Skype, specializing in correct embouchure formation and mechanics. In one lesson I can make the range you have much easier and probably add at least a 5th.

Return to “Teaching & Learning”