Picking up the horn after a very long time

How and what to teach and learn.
PosauneCat

Picking up the horn after a very long time

Post by PosauneCat »

I recently took a virtual lesson with Doug Elliott and it was really fascinating. I knew virtually nothing about Reinhardt’s Pivot System, so it was a real learning experience. Doug’s understanding of it, and ability to impart that knowledge, is quite profound. The first thing I’m experimenting with is a higher placement of my mouthpiece per Doug’s advice. Then there is the actual pivot, in my case moving slightly to bottom-left for lower range and top-right in the high range. I can tell it works because it already increased my range. It’s been so long since I played for real (like 30 years ago) that I have no recall of my high register technique back then. I may have pivoted without being aware of it, because I know I had a solid high F which I first used in Beethoven’s 5th. I must say though that I’m not sure I can ever comfortably get into that range again.

There is so much talk online about the high register being all about air velocity, or as Doug explained, it’s really about the shape of the mouth cavity and tongue placement (I hope I got that right, Doug). I’ll admit that my brain is my biggest impediment because I just can’t wrap my head around how to do it. I get the concept, but it feels utterly foreign in practice. In my current state the only way I feel like I can go higher is with more pressure, and, yes, I know that’s wrong.

Another thing that I find baffling is people who can lip buzz (no mouthpiece) through their full range. I can’t do it at all. I guess it’s important to be able to do that, so I’m not sure I’ll ever truly be able to get it together again. What’s really hard about coming back to something I used to do well is that I never had to even think about many aspects of technique when I was younger. It all developed naturally over time. As you get older your thinking becomes more critical and analytical (though there is ample proof these days that many people never experience that...just watch the news, or 95% of the embarrassingly stupid videos on YouTube, or the Idiocracy that is our government). However, that too can be another impediment for some of us. You know what they say about old dogs and new tricks, right? :-)

I’m just trying to get some chops back to play for fun, not profit, my life and livelihood are not dependent on being good anymore, thank god! My advice to anyone under 25, do not stop playing. It’s much easier learning to do this the first time than the second!!
BGuttman

Re: Picking up the horn after a very long time

Post by BGuttman »

Buzzing is funny. Some do it with or without the mouthpiece. Some need the mouthpiece. Some can't do it at all. I find my ability to buzz with mouthpiece or even free buzz correlates to how much practice I have been doing. So don't be upset that you can't buzz right now. Just work on getting your playing back in shape and it will come.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
PosauneCat

Post by PosauneCat »

Thanks for the encouragement!

Mike
BGuttman wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:58 am Buzzing is funny. Some do it with or without the mouthpiece. Some need the mouthpiece. Some can't do it at all. I find my ability to buzz with mouthpiece or even free buzz correlates to how much practice I have been doing. So don't be upset that you can't buzz right now. Just work on getting your playing back in shape and it will come.
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

I took 10 years off. I got about 70% back. It comes slowly, you just need to put in time doing the right things.

For buzzing, I can buzz high without the mouthpiece but not low. On the horn, my high range is natural but I have to work on the low range.

Just keep working and get some friends to play with.
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

PosauneCat wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:11 am I recently took a virtual lesson with Doug Elliott and it was really fascinating. I knew virtually nothing about Reinhardt’s Pivot System, so it was a real learning experience. Doug’s understanding of it, and ability to impart that knowledge, is quite profound. The first thing I’m experimenting with is a higher placement of my mouthpiece per Doug’s advice. Then there is the actual pivot, in my case moving slightly to bottom-left for lower range and top-right in the high range. I can tell it works because it already increased my range. It’s been so long since I played for real (like 30 years ago) that I have no recall of my high register technique back then. I may have pivoted without being aware of it, because I know I had a solid high F which I first used in Beethoven’s 5th. I must say though that I’m not sure I can ever comfortably get into that range again.

There is so much talk online about the high register being all about air velocity, or as Doug explained, it’s really about the shape of the mouth cavity and tongue placement (I hope I got that right, Doug). I’ll admit that my brain is my biggest impediment because I just can’t wrap my head around how to do it. I get the concept, but it feels utterly foreign in practice. In my current state the only way I feel like I can go higher is with more pressure, and, yes, I know that’s wrong.

Another thing that I find baffling is people who can lip buzz (no mouthpiece) through their full range. I can’t do it at all. I guess it’s important to be able to do that, so I’m not sure I’ll ever truly be able to get it together again. What’s really hard about coming back to something I used to do well is that I never had to even think about many aspects of technique when I was younger. It all developed naturally over time. As you get older your thinking becomes more critical and analytical (though there is ample proof these days that many people never experience that...just watch the news, or 95% of the embarrassingly stupid videos on YouTube, or the Idiocracy that is our government). However, that too can be another impediment for some of us. You know what they say about old dogs and new tricks, right? :-)

I’m just trying to get some chops back to play for fun, not profit, my life and livelihood are not dependent on being good anymore, thank god! My advice to anyone under 25, do not stop playing. It’s much easier learning to do this the first time than the second!!
It"s not necessary to have a wide buzzing range, most people never develop their full range. Keep in mind I've been doing it for several decades.

If you need a quick review let me know.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
PosauneCat

Post by PosauneCat »

Thanks, Doug. I will definitely want to schedule another time with you once I give this enough time.

Mike

Doug Elliott wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:57 pm
PosauneCat wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:11 am I recently took a virtual lesson with Doug Elliott and it was really fascinating. I knew virtually nothing about Reinhardt’s Pivot System, so it was a real learning experience. Doug’s understanding of it, and ability to impart that knowledge, is quite profound. The first thing I’m experimenting with is a higher placement of my mouthpiece per Doug’s advice. Then there is the actual pivot, in my case moving slightly to bottom-left for lower range and top-right in the high range. I can tell it works because it already increased my range. It’s been so long since I played for real (like 30 years ago) that I have no recall of my high register technique back then. I may have pivoted without being aware of it, because I know I had a solid high F which I first used in Beethoven’s 5th. I must say though that I’m not sure I can ever comfortably get into that range again.

It"s not necessary to have a wide buzzing range, most people never develop their full range. Keep in mind I've been doing it for several decades.

If you need a quick review let me know.

Return to “Teaching & Learning”