Correlation between whistling and embouchure

How and what to teach and learn.
PosauneCat

Correlation between whistling and embouchure

Post by PosauneCat »

Is there any meaningful correlation between whistling and embouchure? It seems to me that there is in terms of tongue placement at least, and maybe aperture. This is anecdotal, but when I was younger and playing all the time I could whistle like crazy. My range was great. I could whistle the opening horn solo from Till Eulenspiegel. Years after quitting the horn I noticed I couldn’t whistle anymore which leads me to believe even more that there is a correlation.

Mike
harrisonreed

Re: Correlation between whistling and embouchure

Post by harrisonreed »

Yes. The tongue and throat form what is called the formant, shaping the speed and direction of the air, and influencing the overtones.
baileyman

Post by baileyman »

PosauneCat wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:00 pm Is there any meaningful correlation between whistling and embouchure? ...

Mike
Sure seems that way to me.

I spend a great deal of time controlling my pitch using a whistling style tongue motion. It dominates pitch choice over quite a range over which the chops feel like they're not doing very much. (I'm certain they're doing something along the way, but it does feel like it's all tongue tuning the mouth cavity, just like whistling.)

The primary difference seems to be that whistling aperture seems relatively fixed, at at least mine is, so whistling range is fairly small. (Maybe I need to work on it and find new apertures.) The chops readily adjust to different ranges and within ranges the tongue can select any pitch accurately and rapidly.

Incidentally, the whole scheme works on freebuzz and readily transfers to the piece and the horn in almost every range. The extremes are different somehow, but maybe that just means more time and repetitions.
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

I still can't whistle. When we had this discussion about a month ago I gave it another shot. I practised my pitiful attempt at it every day as I did my lunch hour walk.

After two weeks straight, zero improvement.
Doubler

Post by Doubler »

timothy42b wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:31 pm I still can't whistle. When we had this discussion about a month ago I gave it another shot. I practised my pitiful attempt at it every day as I did my lunch hour walk.

Lunch hour? Aren't you supposed to whistle while you work ?
Current instruments:
Olds Studio trombone, 3 trumpets, 1 flugelhorn, 1 cornet, 1 shofar, 1 keyboard

Previous trombones:
Selmer Bundy, Marceau
Wilktone

Post by Wilktone »

timothy42b wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:31 pm I still can't whistle. When we had this discussion about a month ago I gave it another shot. I practised my pitiful attempt at it every day as I did my lunch hour walk.

Can you hiss air and get it to sound an airy pitch without puckering your lips? I can't whistle very high pitches, but I can hiss the air and derive similar benefits from checking tongue position for notes.
--
David Wilken
https://wilktone.com
PosauneCat

Post by PosauneCat »

Wilktone wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:24 pm

Can you hiss air and get it to sound an airy pitch without puckering your lips? I can't whistle very high pitches, but I can hiss the air and derive similar benefits from checking tongue position for notes.
I have a great hiss. That's about all I have right now. :)

Return to “Teaching & Learning”