How much to charge for secondary instrument lessons?

How and what to teach and learn.
Cougar7

How much to charge for secondary instrument lessons?

Post by Cougar7 »

Hello all,

First post here (I did post a couple times on the old Trombone forum). I teach trombone lessons but a youth in the neighborhood has interest in learning the trumpet and the parents want to know how much I charge. I have played trumpet and I was a junior high band teacher for a couple years, but I am by no means a great trumpet player (I could probably play it for a small volunteer local community band/orchestra, but probably not for a more serious community group without some practice).

I feel like I shouldn't charge how much I charge for trombone lessons, but about how much less do you guys think I should charge? Half the rate, 3/4ths as much, 2/3rds as much? I know it's not necessarily something you can answer for me, but I want to know your opinions. Have you been in this position before, teaching lessons to a beginner on an instrument you are familiar with but with which you aren't as good as you are on trombone?

Thanks!
harrisonreed

Re: How much to charge for secondary instrument lessons?

Post by harrisonreed »

It depends on how well you can play the trumpet, I think.
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

Your time is your time. As long as you are capable to teaching effectively for the level of the student it makes no difference how well you play it.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
Neo Bri

Post by Neo Bri »

I charge the same for each instrument I teach since I'm pretty good at all of them and I'm the same teacher with the same approach and knowledge either way. And I focus extremely hard at being a good teacher.

Return to “Teaching & Learning”