Skype Lessons [Doug Elliot]

How and what to teach and learn.
PaulT

Skype Lessons [Doug Elliot]

Post by PaulT »

I am thinking about trying to get some lessons from Doug Elliot (please feel free to contribute, Doug ;) ).

Are the lessons via Skype?

Are my laptop's (relatively recent model) video and mic sufficient or is setting up a camera and separate mic 1) necessary 2) preferable? I have a "newish" camcorder and a USB mic somewhere.

How do I set up the lesson "room" on my end (position the computer, position myself relative to the computer( or separate camera) for the trombone playing part of the lesson.

Should I order a clear mouthpiece? If so, what kind? (a Back 6.5 AL type is close enough to what I typically use)

What, in addition to anything covered above, should I have lined up/ready/at hand for a successful Skype lesson?

Thanks,
Paul
Doug Elliott

Re: Skype Lessons [Doug Elliot]

Post by Doug Elliott »

Here are some answers:

Most of my time is pretty available. Let me know when is convenient for you. Skype and Zoom are fine.

It's best to get right on playing correctly so you don't waste time playing wrong. You can progress really fast when you're doing things right. Do not be embarrassed... You don't go to a doctor when you're feeling great, right? I'm only interested in helping you get better from where you are now.

I can take credit cards or PayPal. I can also do fractions of an hour, sometimes an hour is actually more than necessary.

You don't need to.prepare anything. I usually see what I need to see very quickly because I know what I'm looking for.

I need to see your face clearly, from face level, so arrange yourself and the camera in a good spot level with your face. I don't want to be looking up at the ceiling from below you, or down from above. Other than that you don't need any special equipment. I use a notebook computer with nothing special, and it's fine. Tablets or phones are fine too.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
PaulT

Post by PaulT »

Thanks, Doug

I have some ducks to line up, but this is something I really want to do. I will PM in early March.

Paul
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

I have had several skype lessons with Doug and they were very useful.

I just used my regular Win10 laptop with built in mike and speakers, nothing fancy; that was adequate.

I sat sideways to the laptop, which is on a table. I put a stand in front of me and a lamp behind me. The problem with a laptop on a table is you can't face it without banging your slide. I think using a tablet on a stand in front of you would be a much better solution and I intend to try that.
Elow

Post by Elow »

You can download apps that use your phones as a webcam instead of using your laptops camera. Would be easy to just put phone on stand and laptop on a desk somewhere
PaulT

Post by PaulT »

Thanks for the tips.

Once I get my music room back, I will dig into the logistics. Using the music stand as a camera holder sounds like a good place to start. I suppose I should prolly consider trimming my moustache back, as well. ;)
Rrova

Post by Rrova »

When we had a lesson with Doug for my trumpet-playing son, we just used my iPhone. My son would be playing while I was holding my phone, walking around until we found the perfect angle. So having a partner help you out might be something to consider. But I imagine the vast majority don’t do that.

In 30 minutes Doug had my son doing things I thought he would never be able to do! I will be doing a lesson for my own playing soon!
RScott

Post by RScott »

Hello Doug Elliot. Interested in Skype Lesson. Please forward contact info. THX.

Scott Brannen
art

Post by art »

I am also interested in a lesson. I sent Doug an email to his AOL address a couple weeks ago asking about a small shank mouthpiece to compliment my large one about two weeks ago. Still have not heard back from him.
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

He’s a busy guy.
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

I see your email now. I'll get back to you this evening
art

Post by art »

Bach5G wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 11:16 am He’s a busy guy.
He was already busy back in the 2010's. I cann only imagine how much more busy he is now. I wasn't trying to be rude, sorry if I came off that way
MahlerEnthusiast

Post by MahlerEnthusiast »

Doug Elliott wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 2:00 pm I see your email now. I'll get back to you this evening
Hi Doug, I am also interested in a lesson. Where can I contact you ?

Cheers,
D
FranzS

Post by FranzS »

Doug Elliott wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 2:00 pm I see your email now. I'll get back to you this evening
Hello, I’m new here and don’t know how to contact you. I‘de like to et an online lesson from you to if this is possible.
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

Welcome Franz, I am replying to your email now.
And for anybody else, I'm relatively open in the next couple of weeks.
Wilco

Post by Wilco »

Hi Doug, I sent you a dm. :hi:
Wilco

Post by Wilco »

Not really necessary but…. Ringing endorsement!!

Return to “Teaching & Learning”