Taking lessons with players of different instruments

How and what to teach and learn.
JCBone

Taking lessons with players of different instruments

Post by JCBone »

I was reading somewhere (I think some violin forum) about auditions preperation and somebody mentioned that since oftentimes the judges do not play your instrument, it would help to take lessons with somebody who plays a different instrument ( I'm not talking about a trumpeter judging a trombonist but rather say a flautist judging a trombonist) This struck me as a rather strange yet ingenius idea. Has anybody tried this? I'd imagine it would be pretty awkward t approach a flautist and ask them to give you trombone lesson though.
Burgerbob

Re: Taking lessons with players of different instruments

Post by Burgerbob »

Peter Steiner told us he likes to get lessons with top string players to work on musicality. If you can make it sound like music to them, then you're doing something right. And yes, in many cases you'll be playing for a committee made up of people who don't play your instrument.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
LeTromboniste

Post by LeTromboniste »

Absolutely. It's important to get input from outside the trombone "echo chamber". My first year of grad school we had a seminar on musicality and interpretation where each week one of us would play a solo piece and get scrutinized over our musical ideas and choices by the others and given suggestions. The perspectives offered there very valuable and invariably some things about the piece that the performer had completely missed or failed to recognize would be pointed out. That's what happens when 15 people with different backgrounds and perspectives are in the same room pondering over the same music.

And while it's of course super important to have lessons on a regular basis with one trombone teacher over an extended period of time, I can say without any hesitation that every lesson I've ever had with players of a different instrument has had more impact on my playing and opened my eyes and ears more than probably any single individual lesson with my regular teachers.
Maximilien Brisson
www.maximilienbrisson.com
Lecturer for baroque trombone,
Hfk Bremen/University of the Arts Bremen
stewbones43

Post by stewbones43 »

I wouldn't mind being listened to by a percussionist, but all the others in the orchestra sit in front of me and would see an opportunity for revenge!

Cheers

Stewbones43
Conn 36H(Pitched in D/A)
B&H Sessionair
Besson 10-10
Conn 74H
Yamaha YSL-641 with Yamaha Custom Slide
Conn 88H Gen II with Conn SL4747 Slide
Besson Academy 409
Rath/Holton/Benge Bb/F/G or Gb/Eb or D Independent Bass
ithinknot

Post by ithinknot »

Yes. Do you want to be a trombonist, or do you want to be a musician?
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

A lot of players will play audition material for a variety of musicians (including woodwinds/strings) before taking an orchestra audition. A very good practice, especially since there will be an assortment of different instrumentalists on your audition. It's good to get a window into what some other players are listening for. I've done the same thing before playing concertos, and found that to be helpful.

Jim Scott
lowcatjb

Post by lowcatjb »

Of course it's essential to study regularly with trombone players, but yes, it is beneficial to get lessons with people who don't play or even understand trombone. They can address your overall musicianship without over-focusing by the technical minutiae specific to the trombone.

Granted, that's not a bad thing, but occasionally it's good to get a music lesson that isn't necessary a trombone lesson.

Return to “Teaching & Learning”