Exploring new YouTube ideas

How and what to teach and learn.
nbulgarino

Exploring new YouTube ideas

Post by nbulgarino »

Hey everyone!

I am toying with the idea of making some YouTube videos on trombone topics and playing some arrangements. What would you guys want to listen to or hear talked about?

I'm interested to hear your thoughts!

Nick
Nick Bulgarino
https://nickbulgarino.com/
Peabody Conservatory, MM 2020
Eastman School of Music, BM 2018
DeMatha Catholic High School, 2014
Wilktone

Re: Exploring new YouTube ideas

Post by Wilktone »

What do you want to talk about? What are your goals in creating a YouTube channel?

If it's just for the fun of it and to have something you can share with a niche audience, then you'll be more successful it you just be yourself and do what you'd like to do. If you have a particular topic or skill you have some expertise in, then maybe you want to focus on that.

If you're interested in monitizing your channel and get lots of subscribers, then you might do better to make it a channel that's less about trombone specifically and do stuff that has a broader musical appeal.

Good luck!

Dave
--
David Wilken
https://wilktone.com
ArbanRubank

Post by ArbanRubank »

YouTube videos need recording equipment and technique. Maybe start there? Walk everyone through it, step-by-step. There might be some begets from it.
nbulgarino

Post by nbulgarino »

Honestly, it would be just for the fun of it. There are trombone YouTubers who have already talk about a number of topics and play great arrangements, so I don't really know what new ideas I could bring to the table.

I have a fascination with equipment and own some cool instruments and mouthpieces. I could make a few videos on the history of the horns, but I am not an advocate of focusing on them anymore. It can very easily become a way to shift blame from the Indian to the Arrow, so-to-speak.

I have an obsession with musical history and obscure composers. I wrote a lengthy paper on Hans Rott while I was at Peabody, and that alone opened my up to a lot of new ideas about music history, how to listen to music and who the people who write music are and why they write. There are a lot of obscure figures in music history that are very interesting that we don't get to learn about in school.

What I want to avoid is being another "talking head" that gives his opinions on topics that have been discussed to death already. That's why I put this "feeler" out there. What hasn't been talked about that people are curious about?

I love to do research and if a topic looks like it has promise or will teach us something, I'll grab my scuba gear and deep-dive into it.
Nick Bulgarino
nbulgarino

Post by nbulgarino »

ArbanRubank wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:58 am YouTube videos need recording equipment and technique. Maybe start there? Walk everyone through it, step-by-step. There might be some begets from it.
I do a lot of "Zoom" recording projects so I have good enough equipment to produce a YouTube video. I was in this video for Endless Mountain Music Festival ( and this one for the Washington Cornett and Sackbutt Ensemble ( I recorded the video and audio for these and sent them to be mixed.
Nick Bulgarino
WilliamLang

Post by WilliamLang »

put up what you like and know

"I have an obsession with musical history and obscure composers."
William Lang
Interim Instructor, the University of Oklahoma
Stephens Horns Artist
Long Island Brass Artist
faculty, the Longy School of Music
founding member of loadbang
www.williamlang.org
TriJim

Post by TriJim »

Please - if I can ask one thing - keep them short. 3 minutes.

If you can make your point quickly - I'll listen - and maybe come back for your next video. I won't stay to watch the water heat to a boil.

Aggressively edit for time. Good luck.
Savio

Post by Savio »

There is not much about trombone history on YouTube, so I second that idea. Or music history in general. Music development.

Leif
Elow

Post by Elow »

I prefer long videos, like 20-30 minutes is ideal
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Ones that directly compete with everyone else doing excerpt videos, multi-tracks, and "master"classes. Except blow them out of the water and show em who's boss.
nbulgarino

Post by nbulgarino »

harrisonreed wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:24 am Ones that directly compete with everyone else doing excerpt videos, multi-tracks, and "master"classes. Except blow them out of the water and show em who's boss.
Oh I'll definitley do these videos! I love doing multitracks.

One thing that I have been doing is playing on a straight Bach 42. I might make a video on the benefits of playing on a straight horn for a month.
Nick Bulgarino
nbulgarino

Post by nbulgarino »

I'll try some multitracks to start. I want to get better at intonation (don't we all?) so I decided that the best way to do this is playing on a straight Bach 42 and really be forced to use 5th, 6th and 7th positions. Let me know what you think!

Nick Bulgarino
Reedman1

Post by Reedman1 »

I never heard of Hans Rott, and I would love to know more about opening up your musical thinking. But as TriJim said, please keep them short, or at least concise. Chapters are cool, where one video leads to the next, with an opportunity for a break.

Return to “Teaching & Learning”