How to Teach Trombone "for dummies"

How and what to teach and learn.
ColtronTheGreat

How to Teach Trombone "for dummies"

Post by ColtronTheGreat »

Hey folks! I am working on a paper for my masters and I am writing with a couple of other educators a series of books that would be for new teachers to help them teach particular instruments. Basically a how to teach "for dummies." A comprehensive report on starting a young student on trombone from the moment they are interested in band.

What books and resources can you recommend me to search and get information from?

What are resources that the would help the student and any tips or tricks you may have that you wish you had when you started?

If you have any self written materials, quotes or information you would be willing to share I will definitely cite and reference you. If this is the case please leave (or message) me name and where you teach.

Thank you!!
Last edited by ColtronTheGreat on Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
harrisonreed

Re: How to Teach Trombone "for dummies"

Post by harrisonreed »

Are you writing a research paper, or are you writing a method book?
ColtronTheGreat

Post by ColtronTheGreat »

harrisonreed wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:47 pm Are you writing a research paper, or are you writing a method book?
For the purpose of the university assignment, it’s a research paper, but afterwards a groups of us are discussing putting together methods books.
robcat2075

Post by robcat2075 »

Tongue with "tah", not "tu". That sentence would have saved me about four years of ghastly tone production.

When I was in college we had a book, "The Teaching of Instrumental Music" by Richard J. Colwell (ISBN 0-13-893131-3), published by Prentice Hall, which sounds very much like what you are proposing, aside from the inexplicable omission of "...For Dummies".

If some non-instrumental musician like a chorister or pianist, or some instrumentalist who had no previous multi-instrument teaching behind them, found themselves with a band program plopped on their lap that book would be a good starter for them. It has a lot of nuts-and-bolts starter info for every instrument and for leading a program in general.

I'm not saying it will make anyone an expert teacher but in the situations I described above, "expert" clearly was not in the school's expectations.

This book book does offer "tu" in its discussion of wind tonguing. Don't do it.
DSC00893.JPG
DSC00894.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
>>Robert Holmén<<

Hear me as I play my horn

See my Spacepod movie
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

ColtronTheGreat wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:12 pm
harrisonreed wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:47 pm Are you writing a research paper, or are you writing a method book?
For the purpose of the university assignment, it’s a research paper, but afterwards a groups of us are discussing putting together methods books.
Thank you

Return to “Teaching & Learning”