Question from me

How and what to teach and learn.
DominicaSanchez

Question from me

Post by DominicaSanchez »

Hello! I'm sorry for bothering you but what tricks can Ш use to play the trombone to sound better? I'm a beginner trombonist and I need you advices. :clever:
Elow

Re: Question from me

Post by Elow »

practicing with a goal in mind and listening to james market tenor album if you play tenor or bass album is you play bass
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

Elow wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:42 am practicing with a goal in mind and listening to james market tenor album if you play tenor or bass album is you play bass
I’m guessing you mean “James Markey” and you’re referring to his Youtube videos. Excellent idea!

Here is one such video:

Otherwise, long tones.
Elow

Post by Elow »

Yes, Markey. Those videos are great too, i was just talking about these
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

First, there are no "tricks" to play trombone. You need to learn how to play it properly. You will need the help of a teacher to make sure you do it properly. Then you have to practice to build your technique.

by all means check out the many YouTube videos of how to do things, but take them with a grain of salt. Anybody who offers a miracle shortcut is full of beans. Believe me, if there was any shortcut to virtuosity we'd all be doing it.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Kdanielsen

Post by Kdanielsen »

Markey’s solo tenor album was a huge inspiration for me too. It’s as good as it gets.
Kris Danielsen D.M.A.

Westfield State University and Keene State College
Lecturer of Low Brass

Principal Trombone, New England Repertory Orchestra
2nd Trombone, Glens Falls Symphony
robcat2075

Post by robcat2075 »

DominicaSanchez wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:06 am what tricks can Ш use to play the trombone to sound better?
Tongue with "tah", not "tu" or "too" or "toe" or "tuh"...

That doesn't sound like much of a trick but no trick sounds like much of a trick once you hear the trick.

"Tah" would have saved me from four years of rotten trombone sounds... if only any of my teachers had told me.

If you sound like I sounded in sixth grade, "tah" is the first thing I would investigate.
>>Robert Holmén<<

Hear me as I play my horn

See my Spacepod movie
robcat2075

Post by robcat2075 »

And I'll second the previous advice to find and listen to recordings of strong players, to have as mental models of what you want to sound like.

As a beginner, the only trombone players I ever heard were the other rotten trombone players in my grade. :idk:
Elow wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:42 am practicing with a goal in mind...
There is a loop to this.

Every time you play is going to sound a bit different than the last time you played, either by intention or by accident.

The player who gets better is the one who notices this and can ascertain what he did differently. Keep doing what made for better and ditch what made for worse.

Repeat.
>>Robert Holmén<<

Hear me as I play my horn

See my Spacepod movie
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

I spent an hour yesterday listening to one of the city’s top players try out trombones. That prompted a few thoughts.

It’s a bit like Inner Game of Tennis: learn by observing and copying. You need to know, consciously or unconsciously, your goal. And to do that you need to observe those who have already accomplished that goal and emulate them. Recordings are only part of that.
Vegasbound

Post by Vegasbound »

Get a good teacher

Establish a good practice regime

Repeat
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

Vegasbound wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:00 am Get a good teacher

Establish a good practice regime

Repeat
Nobody mentioned that, but establishing a good daily routine is a first step.

You'll change it over time as your needs change, or your theories of playing change, but it's probably essential for a beginner to start with a stable daily routine that covers basic fundamentals.
afugate

Post by afugate »

robcat2075 wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:47 am Every time you play is going to sound a bit different than the last time you played, either by intention or by accident.
The hard part is minimizing the difference.

One time I was performing in the pit for a production of Annie. What was supposed to be a lightning quick scene change turned into a 5 minute ordeal. :horror:

The problem? The scene change vamp was a 2 bar phrase. Bone 1 plays a sustained low F whole note in the second bar. This became comical as the scene change dragged on mercilessly. My daughter was sitting in pit right next to me and was thoroughly enjoying watching me sweat as I tried to make each iteration sound just like the previous one... :lol:

--Andy in OKC
DominicaSanchez

Post by DominicaSanchez »

Thank you All!!!!!! It is very usefull and important for me!!!!!
I'm already did my profile in musescore (https://musescore.com/user/40148473) and I will upload my works there. If you want you can see them there
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Hmmmmmm
HenrikStromberg

Post by HenrikStromberg »

Yes. You can use scores web sites for learning too (including https://musescore.com/sheetmusic?page=2&text=trombone and https://www.musicnotes.com/search/go?w= ... rom=header) but the most importatnt thing is- practice pratice practice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Return to “Teaching & Learning”