tiny pockets of air

How and what to teach and learn.
PosauneCat

tiny pockets of air

Post by PosauneCat »

Hello Kids,

I am improving to the point where playing is fun again! YAY. However, I am very far away from being good. Today I noticed a new problem. When I'm playing I sometimes capture small pockets of air right above my upper molars, in between the cheek and gum. I am not sure why that is. Doug Elliott and Dave Wilkins, you may be able to enlighten us as to why some players do this. I suspect it has something to do with stretching and/or flattening the upper lip. I'm certainly not going full-out Dizzy with cheek puffing, but it's still a thing, and I must be doing it to compensate for something. Doug....Dave...?
Doug Elliott

Re: tiny pockets of air

Post by Doug Elliott »

You worry too much, it's okay.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
PosauneCat

Post by PosauneCat »

Doug Elliott wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:43 pm You worry too much, it's okay.
Dann, you know me too well! :-) I think you’ll get a kick out of this, Doug…coincidentally, another member of the forum sent me a very nice PM which he started with the line, “As you often seem to do, you're making things more complex than they need to be…” Methinks I have a reputation here!
PosauneCat

Post by PosauneCat »

Doug Elliott wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:43 pm You worry too much, it's okay.
As a follow-up…what is extreme cheek puffing doing for players that do it? It must be a substitute and an adjunct to the traditional embouchure, no? Like Dizzy is the best example. What was that puffing doing for him or substituting for? Or us it just a habit?
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

Puffing can happen in the full cheeks, upper cheeks, under the corners, under the top lip, or the neck. Some of those are a big problem, some a medium problem, and some not a problem at all.

Here's a good example of an upper cheek puff that's no problem.

I'm not sure the mechanics or acoustics behind it, but a few players actually need to have that to produce loud volume. You can hear that in Pete Candoli's sound, it's huge with no real effort. Same with Dizzy. In both cases, the entire corner and chin area is totally firm.

In a general sense, puffing is not a good idea, but it depends on the circumstances.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
PosauneCat

Post by PosauneCat »

Doug Elliott wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:31 am Puffing can happen in the full cheeks, upper cheeks, under the corners, under the top lip, or the neck. Some of those are a big problem, some a medium problem, and some not a problem at all.

Here's a good example of an upper cheek puff that's no problem.

I'm not sure the mechanics or acoustics behind it, but a few players actually need to have that to produce loud volume. You can hear that in Pete Candoli's sound, it's huge with no real effort. Same with Dizzy. In both cases, the entire corner and chin area is totally firm.

In a general sense, puffing is not a good idea, but it depends on the circumstances.
That’s cool. Candoli’s puff is gigantic compared to what I’m talking about in my playing. You can’t even see it in what I’m talking about. I’ll cross it off my worry list.
dershem

Post by dershem »

Tiny pockets of air... sounds like me the day before payday! :(
But your version - no big deal at all.
PosauneCat

Post by PosauneCat »

dershem wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:06 pm Tiny pockets of air... sounds like me the day before payday! :(
But your version - no big deal at all.
:-) Thanks, I appreciate the second confirmation!
imsevimse

Post by imsevimse »

I agree the sound is affected and some puffed cheeks can be needed to get a fuller sound under certain conditions. Good tuba players often puff their cheeks and still play with good sound and control. Other airpockets that are much smaller can disturb and destroy playing. Personally i sometimes get a small airpocket behind the upper lip which I don't like because it distracts me. Even though I can continue and play and it is not heard I do loose some focus when it happens, and that's what is the problem. Volumes of air puffing out cheeks might be a "good thing" to the sound. I can feel that happen in my playing too to some sense when I play loud and it then adds to the sound.

Look at tuba-players...

/Tom
baileyman

Post by baileyman »

I'm experimenting with pockets as those in the forward cheek area seem to do something to smooth out articulation disturbance. Not sure though.

Return to “Teaching & Learning”