Reputable Online/Distance Degrees in Music?

How and what to teach and learn.
TexasTBone

Reputable Online/Distance Degrees in Music?

Post by TexasTBone »

Are there any online or distance programs out there for a Bachelor's degree in music y'all might recommend or at least think are reputable enough to consider? I was talking to a university professor last week and he said Berklee is the only viable online/distance bachelors program in the country. I'm curious to know what else is out there for students who work full time jobs, have families, etc. who might find certain in-person degree requirements to be barriers. For example, many (maybe even most) Bachelors degree programs require students to be enrolled in an ensemble every semester that meets right smack in the middle of the day. This can kill a students chance to get a degree, even if they can attend every other required class.

Students who don't have the financial or logistical means to quit jobs to accommodate certain individual requirements like that often simply give up. I'm trying to find some good options for students to find a path to success.
Getzen 3062AF
Shires Q Alessi Tenor
Shires Q35 Alto
Buescher Grand Tru-Tone (1925)
LeTromboniste

Re: Reputable Online/Distance Degrees in Music?

Post by LeTromboniste »

My grain of salt: no degree programme in music where you don't do ensemble playing or where most teaching is online can be considered reputable.
Maximilien Brisson
www.maximilienbrisson.com
Lecturer for baroque trombone,
Hfk Bremen/University of the Arts Bremen
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

TexasTBone wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 12:13 amFor example, many (maybe even most) Bachelors degree programs require students to be enrolled in an ensemble every semester that meets right smack in the middle of the day.
You might look to schools that offer degrees in music but are known more for other fields of study. They tend to depend on non-majors to fill out the large ensembles, and those non-majors are usually busy with classes for their degree during the day. My alma mater's Wind Orchestra and Wind Ensemble both meet in the evening.

Of course, a music degree from a school like that isn't going to open a lot of doors...
GabrielRice

Post by GabrielRice »

LeTromboniste wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 2:22 am My grain of salt: no degree programme in music where you don't do ensemble playing or where most teaching is online can be considered reputable.
I have to agree. BU has online masters and doctoral programs in Music Ed and possibly some of the academic majors, but for a performance degree I think you need to perform.
TexasTBone

Post by TexasTBone »

To clarify - NOT performance programs.
Getzen 3062AF
Shires Q Alessi Tenor
Shires Q35 Alto
Vegasbound

Post by Vegasbound »

Here in the UK is the www.open.ac.uk a very highly regarded university established in the 1970’s to allow people who worked or could not attend full time education to study.
LeTromboniste

Post by LeTromboniste »

TexasTBone wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 1:00 pm To clarify - NOT performance programs.
I thought from your other thread your goal was to switch your career to music full-time and work as an orchestral trombonist.
Maximilien Brisson
www.maximilienbrisson.com
Lecturer for baroque trombone,
Hfk Bremen/University of the Arts Bremen
TexasTBone

Post by TexasTBone »

LeTromboniste wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 3:48 am
TexasTBone wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 1:00 pm To clarify - NOT performance programs.
I thought from your other thread your goal was to switch your career to music full-time and work as an orchestral trombonist.
There are two parts to your response: 1.) Yes, my goal is to be full-time in music; and 2.) being an orchestral trombonist is not all I want to do in music. Fundamentally, I am not in a position to quit my job in order to go into a performance program, so I am looking at other avenues, such as composition that will help me achieve an education that will allow me to do more as a musician. I will continue to study with professional trombonist outside of an academic environment.
Getzen 3062AF
Shires Q Alessi Tenor
Shires Q35 Alto

Return to “Teaching & Learning”