new Wessex trombone

skeletal

new Wessex trombone

Post by skeletal »

https://wessex-tubas.com/collections/tr ... 547-pbf549

Tuning in slide, an open wrap with a canted rotor, plus a curved hand grip and a removable leapipe. That's an interesting set of features for the price. I'm not in the market for one, but it looks nice.
Burgerbob

Re: new Wessex trombone

Post by Burgerbob »

Very interesting. I understand why they have the sheet counterweight, not my cup of tea though.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
skeletal

Post by skeletal »

It would be amazing if you could get custom shapes
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

But you still can't get the Stearn bass
LeTromboniste

Post by LeTromboniste »

harrisonreed wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:05 pm But you still can't get the Stearn bass
Wrote them about it. They're currently taking pre-order deposits (fully refundable) on the next batch. There were only a couple left available as of last week. ETA April 2021.
Maximilien Brisson
www.maximilienbrisson.com
Lecturer for baroque trombone,
Hfk Bremen/University of the Arts Bremen
spencercarran

Post by spencercarran »

Still hoping they'll put out an alto trombone at some point, I'd buy that in a heartbeat. Was very impressed with their previous generation euphs (I'm sure the new ones are great too, just haven't had a chance to try them).
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

Spencer: they did, at one time, carry 2 models of alto, one of which was quite well received.
Finetales

Post by Finetales »

This one was developed quite a while ago, no? They posted about it along with the contra when that was released. (Don't remember when that was, but I think it's been at least a year.) It's not NEW new, just now being added to the website.
spencercarran wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:45 pm Still hoping they'll put out an alto trombone at some point, I'd buy that in a heartbeat.
Their PE-523 large bore alto was really, really good. I reached out to them once it was discontinued (spring 2018) asking about it as I was just about to buy one, and they said they were developing a new model with a valve to replace it.

I love Wessex, but the fact that they're just now releasing this tenor model which was developed quite a while ago (and have been totally radio silent about the new alto or that large bore soprano they very briefly had) proves to me they're still not really invested in their non-tuba lines again yet.
spencercarran

Post by spencercarran »

Dang, wonder how I missed that... how "large" was the large bore? I'm usually skeptical of tenor-sized alto trombones (favorite I've tried was the tiny Bach 39, but since it would basically be a toy I can't justify dropping that kind of $$$)

They've done such an amazing job making quality euphoniums and tubas more accessible, I really look forward to a similar revolution in trombone world.
RoscoTrombone

Post by RoscoTrombone »

I actually own this instrument...

I bought it in April during lockdown to have as a back up thinking that things would be back to normalish by now, wishful thinking there!!

To be totally honest I've hardly touched it, it's been out of the case a few times and only blown for about 5/10 minutes at a time so can't give a detailed lowdown I'm afraid but one thing I can say ia that the vakve is very clunky when utilised, not sure if it's the bumpers or not.

Maybe one day I will be bothered enough to actually blow the thing but then again I may end up selling it.
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

Last edited by Bach5G on Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

spencercarran wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:52 am Dang, wonder how I missed that... how "large" was the large bore? I'm usually skeptical of tenor-sized alto trombones (favorite I've tried was the tiny Bach 39, but since it would basically be a toy I can't justify dropping that kind of $$$)

They've done such an amazing job making quality euphoniums and tubas more accessible, I really look forward to a similar revolution in trombone world.

I believe the large bore alto was something like 0.547".

Wessex had Chip Hoehler working with them on the trombone line and were making some good progress, but Chip passed away and it seems nobody's taken up the mantle.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

The Packer/Rath might be a good alternative to the Wessex.

Speaking of alto, G Cherry/Cherry Music/W Groves (editor) has an alto version of Arban’s out. It looks like an effective way to get up to speed on alto. Part 1 (there are several parts, each published separately) is about $25.
spencercarran

Post by spencercarran »

BGuttman wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:47 pm I believe the large bore alto was something like 0.547".
:amazed:

That is enormous
Finetales

Post by Finetales »

spencercarran wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:52 am Dang, wonder how I missed that... how "large" was the large bore?
spencercarran wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:35 pm
BGuttman wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:47 pm I believe the large bore alto was something like 0.547".
:amazed:

That is enormous
Ah, I see it is time for me to preach the gospel of the large bore alto trombone once again. :pant:

The Wessex PE523 was a .525-.547 dual bore. It played very well...I thought the one I tried played 90% as good as the Shires and Rath altos I've played. It still sounded like an alto and was easy up high. Not that it matters too much because it's gone and nobody ever sells theirs!

B&S made prototypes of an alto trombone called the Erde, which was .547" with a Bb attachment. It was specifically designed to be a perfect match for a modern .547" tenor on 2nd and a modern .562" bass on 3rd in an orchestra section. I played the first prototype and the pre-production model extensively (perks of studying with the guy who helped design it!) and they were fantastic instruments. More importantly, they did exactly what they were designed to do. A modern section with the Erde on top sounds fantastic, and the Erde sings on top of and blends beautifully with the modern large bore instruments below it (while still retaining a distinct alto voice). It's an amazing solo instrument as well.

Alas, the Erde apparently never made it to production. :weep:
Bach5G wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:48 pm The Packer/Rath might be a good alternative to the Wessex.
With both Wessex altos (as well as the Horn Guys Jin Bao) long gone, the JP/Rath is pretty much the cheapest good alto left. But it's way more expensive than any of those were ($1,100 is very far from "cheap"), and although I'm sure it plays circles around the Jin Bao Slokar clones, I seriously doubt it plays better than the PE523 did (which was half the cost). Still, I'd love to try one.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

I have a friend with a Pfretzschner .547 alto. It's amazing.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Haven't heard any bad things about .547 altos. The thein certainly sounds great.
spencercarran

Post by spencercarran »

Well... I won't pretend to know better since I'm not a competent alto player, but I will remain confused at the idea of an alto that's bigger than my tenors. :idk:
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

I hadn’t realized the JP Rath 236s had gotten so expensive. I got mine out for the first time in months. Not a bad little horn.

I had a look at the Wessex page. They seem to sell every size and shape of trombone except alto. Odd, particularly when the large alto was so well received. But then Fossil’s bass trombone never seemed to get off the ground even though initial feedback seemed quite positive. I’m sure if they brought another alto out it’s going to cost a lot more than it did in 2016.
Finetales

Post by Finetales »

Well, we don't actually know how many examples they sold of that big alto. I get the impression that few people bought it. Wessex seems to have upped their social media marketing since then, but most people are still pretty much going by the few reviews on places like this forum, since there are very few places to actually try their instruments (and the video demos they post are...not great).

Wessex's prices have increased significantly as well. Both Wessex and JP Rath alike are still good choices for good prices, but for the most part no longer the screaming deals they once were.

Return to “Instruments”