Help identifying a horn

bigbandbone

Help identifying a horn

Post by bigbandbone »

After reading the thread on Dick Shearer I started watching Kenton videos on YouTube. Loved that band! The 4th trombone players horn in this video caught my eye.
Is he playing a single valve bass and has it pulled to E the whole time? Or is it just an oddball axe I don't recognize?
-
Last edited by bigbandbone on Fri May 21, 2021 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
bigbandbone

Re: Help identifying a horn

Post by bigbandbone »

Sorry, forgot to include the link!
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Good question. The F wrap seems very high on the instrument, like a King 7B, but I'm not seeing the Gb wrap. Maybe I'm just missing it.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
ithinknot

Post by ithinknot »

See 7:22. Williams 9 or 10 with the pigtail wrap, somewhat pulled.
Bass (5th) is playing a Conn 73H.
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

I saw the Kenton band live around the time of this video - it was a high school regional big band event, and they were the invited guests. I remember seeing the 2 bass trombones in the section, with the 5th player doubling on tuba. I don't remember if the 4th player was using a single valve horn, but single valve basses were still quite common to see back then. A lot of the older generation of bass trombonists were very comfortable with E tuning, and even as a tenor player, one of my high school teachers brought me through the Ostrander book, including the E tuning section of etudes/exercises.

Jim Scott
greenbean

Post by greenbean »

ithinknot wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 10:28 am See 7:22. Williams 9 or 10 with the pigtail wrap, somewhat pulled.
I agree. He must have it pulled or just uses a long slide. Either way, it is seriously long!

And the bass looks like a 62H at first but there are several clear shots of the handslide - no TIS.
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns
FOSSIL

Post by FOSSIL »

ithinknot wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 10:28 am See 7:22. Williams 9 or 10 with the pigtail wrap, somewhat pulled.
You got it.

Chris
HawaiiTromboneGuy

Post by HawaiiTromboneGuy »

Someone once posted this photo. Can’t remember if it was here or Facebook. Anyways, anyone recognize the player?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Drew A.
Professional bum.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

HawaiiTromboneGuy wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 12:10 am Someone once posted this photo. Can’t remember if it was here or Facebook. Anyways, anyone recognize the player?
It looks like, hahaha -- it looks like a really famous female trombonist that I'm not going to name
Leanit

Post by Leanit »

Jeez, that could by my horn.

Return to “Instruments”