I finally own an F-attachment trombone!

Jim2195

I finally own an F-attachment trombone!

Post by Jim2195 »

Just wanted to show you all my newly acquired Blessing B-88! My dad bought it for me on eBay last week, it arrived on Thursday and I’m loving it so far. If I’m being honest, I am a bit disappointed about its cosmetic condition (the listing photos didn’t get anything up close) although it does play rather well. There is also one small spot of plating loss on the inner slide, nonetheless the slide is smooth!

I’m in the process of getting used to the trigger, as I am completely new to playing an instrument with an F-attachment. I appreciate any tips :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
- Jim :pant:
Posaunus

Re: I finally own an F-attachment trombone!

Post by Posaunus »

Jim2195 wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:31 pm I’m in the process of getting used to the trigger, as I am completely new to playing an instrument with an F-attachment. I appreciate any tips :)

Tip: Take some lessons from a competent trombone teacher.
Readily available in Los Angeles. Worth every penny. Don't try to learn from YouTube!
heinamj

Post by heinamj »

Congratulations and have fun!

F attachment tip: if you play in marching band don't get rid of your old horn. Save your F attachment horn from marching band wear and tear.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

henrysa

Post by henrysa »

That was a terrific video. So helpful to us currently mediocre players with an up arrow.
calcbone

Post by calcbone »

Congratulations on the new horn/journey!

I got a brand new B-88 with the rose brass bell in 1997; it was my first F-attachment trombone also. I was in 10th grade.

I made quite a bit of progress on that horn; then, I got a Bach 42BO my senior year, when I decided I definitely wanted to continue playing and possibly become a music major. I still marched with the B-88 my first year of college before selling it. It was definitely worth having as a step-up horn; it had a smooth slide and a very good extreme low register (good thing, because I was playing the bass trombone parts in our school jazz band at the time)!

Hope you enjoy it!
=Tommy=
Trombone, stats, & precalculus

Bach 8 NY
King 3B Silversonic
Bach 36 MV
Shires dual bore/Thayer/1G
Bach 50A3/Edwards slide
PhilTrombone

Post by PhilTrombone »

Congrats.

What it looks like on the outside makes little difference to the sound, or operation of the instrument Enjoy.
Jim2195

Post by Jim2195 »

heinamj wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:52 pm Congratulations and have fun!

F attachment tip: if you play in marching band don't get rid of your old horn. Save your F attachment horn from marching band wear and tear.
Thank you! Sadly my school does not have a marching band (or football for that matter), regardless I definitely wouldn’t want to risk anything with the B88
Last edited by Jim2195 on Fri Sep 15, 2023 9:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Jim2195

Post by Jim2195 »

PhilTrombone wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:17 am Congrats.

What it looks like on the outside makes little difference to the sound, or operation of the instrument Enjoy.
You’re absolutely right :D
Jim2195

Post by Jim2195 »

harrisonreed wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:27 pm
Thanks! This video is super helpful, you gave such a clear explanation. I learned a new thing or two!
Jim2195

Post by Jim2195 »

calcbone wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:00 pm Congratulations on the new horn/journey!

I got a brand new B-88 with the rose brass bell in 1997; it was my first F-attachment trombone also. I was in 10th grade.

I made quite a bit of progress on that horn; then, I got a Bach 42BO my senior year, when I decided I definitely wanted to continue playing and possibly become a music major. I still marched with the B-88 my first year of college before selling it. It was definitely worth having as a step-up horn; it had a smooth slide and a very good extreme low register (good thing, because I was playing the bass trombone parts in our school jazz band at the time)!

Hope you enjoy it!
First and foremost, I appreciate you telling me your story!! I’ve heard some good things about the B-88, and to my satisfaction, this trombone does not disappoint! I’ll definitely be giving it some much needed love, hopefully it’ll last me many years and help me grow as a musician, just as what your B-88 had done for you. 8-)
TriJim

Post by TriJim »

Consider working the exercises from 'Introducing the F Attachment for Trombone' by Reginald Fink. It includes systematic introduction and exercises to practice alternate notes and proper slide position when using the F valve. I found it very helpful when I transitioned a few years ago. Good luck and let us know how you progress.

Return to “Instruments”