Wessex is letting down

8parktoollover

Wessex is letting down

Post by 8parktoollover »

Am I the only one that feels like wessex is letting down on their non tuba lineup. There are multiple products that have been sold out for months and unlike in the tuba lineup you can't preorder an instrument frpm the next batch. Also there have been numerous ocassions were wessex was announcinv the release of a new product that never came out. There effort put into the tubas is great but I just feel like the rest of the lineup needs a bit of a push.
SwissTbone

Re: Wessex is letting down

Post by SwissTbone »

Well I think they concentrate their efforts where the most money is made. And as they have started out on tubas and have a good following in the tuba-world, it makes sense concentrating on tuba.
ƒƒ---------------------------------------------------ƒƒ
Like trombones? Head over to https://swisstbone.com/ to see some great vintage and custom horns!
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

I would look at the JP line of horns for a good quality Chinese import. They seem to be getting a lot of good reviews and just about any local music store can sell them.
Specialk3700

Post by Specialk3700 »

Mikebmiller wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:40 am I would look at the JP line of horns for a good quality Chinese import. They seem to be getting a lot of good reviews and just about any local music store can sell them.
This. At the Midwest clinic the Wessex trombones I play were ok. The JP horns were up there with Bach, Conn, and Yamaha.
Engineering student with a trombone problem.
Edwards B454
Shires Bravo
Yamaha 354
8parktoollover

Post by 8parktoollover »

I know wessex is great which is why I'm saying this because I'm dissapointed. Iv'e seen how far the tuba lineup has come but there definetly are people who want their other instruments.
Finetales

Post by Finetales »

I was really excited for some of the stuff they had coming down the pike. That large bore soprano trombone with a valve that they had on their site and then quickly pulled (allegedly because of quality issues that they would resolve) but never put back, as well as the alto with a valve they were allegedly developing to replace the awesome large bore alto they discontinued, were two products I was really looking forward to. I was going to buy both of them, or that large bore alto if it was never discontinued.

Some of the non-tuba stuff still around like the 3-valve compensating baritone horn are really exceptionally good, so at least there's that. And they DID introduce that contra, although it has mixed reviews. Still, $3k for an F/C/Db contra is amazing. The trombone line has at least had the contra and the new bass come out semi-recently...the trumpet and horn lines have been stagnant for a lot longer and haven't really ever had anything interesting for them to stand out (except for the triple horn that doesn't cost 5 figures), which is probably exactly why they've been stagnant. If Wessex came out with a line of 4-valve trumpets and cornets in a bunch of keys like Stomvi is doing, but without the >$4,000 pricetag Stomvi wants for each one, I bet they would be a big hit.

The JP line is nice, and I do enjoy a good bit of their instruments (their tenor horns were really good the last time I tried them, and I would own a JP 333 bass trombone long before I owned a Yamaha Xeno 830), but the thing that makes Wessex cool is that they make things most manufacturers, and especially no other affordable/import manufacturers, do. It was a very exciting time for us trombonists when Wessex had that R&D request thread on TTF and were regularly putting out new trombone stuff. Now it seems like for the most part they've stopped caring about anything that isn't a tuba.
8parktoollover

Post by 8parktoollover »

2 years ago they announced that the same guy who designed the f contra also designed what looked like a tenor trombone based off of the stomvi titan but unlike the contra was never released.
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

It sounds like for now, they may be focusing more on the valved horns than on trombones. As trombones are somewhat more easy to make, there's a lot more competition in that segment, so you end up seeing less offerings.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
heinzgries

Post by heinzgries »

Btw, anybody knows whats going on with Chip Hoehler? I know he was very ill.
Nhtrombone

Post by Nhtrombone »

I assumed the lack of inventory was due to their transition to a new factory/QA facility (with much higher levels of QA).
8parktoollover

Post by 8parktoollover »

Really well that is a good thing. So they arn't continuing with Jinbao?
Nhtrombone

Post by Nhtrombone »

Still with jin bai afaik but to a newer level of qa
Davidus1

Post by Davidus1 »

I think the focus is definitely on the tubas but given time they may branch out more. I also agree with the above posts about the JP Rath trombones. They are very nice. I owned now and liked it very much.
Conn Victor 5H
Yamaha YSL-630
Yamaha YSL-354
Miraphone 186 BBb
Neo Bri

Post by Neo Bri »

heinzgries wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:18 am Btw, anybody knows whats going on with Chip Hoehler? I know he was very ill.
I'd also like to know this.

And yes, Wessex makes some good tubas and euphs. Never tried their trombones.

The JPs got a lot of good reviews. I tried a few and didn't like them. Then I bought the 236 alto. Oh yeah...good horn.
afugate

Post by afugate »

heinzgries wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:18 am Btw, anybody knows whats going on with Chip Hoehler? I know he was very ill.
From a Facebook post by Chip's daughter.

--Andy in OKC
I’m very sad to tell all of you that my dad, Chip Hoehler, passed away on Wednesday. I know many of you on this page worked with him or knew him during his time as SS Norway’s Bandmaster, so I wanted to let you know. I have so many wonderful memories of traveling with my dad on the Norway and I know the Norway held a special place in his heart. Thank you for your prayers for him and for our family during this difficult past year. We appreciate your kindness.
Screen Shot 2019-07-08 at 6.55.43 AM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

Oh man, that is a shame. Hopefully the work he was doing with Wessex still comes to fruition.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

afugate wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:56 am
From a Facebook post by Chip's daughter. ...

--Andy in OKC
Very sad news, especially so late. I only knew Chip through Wessex, but he was a totally straight up kinda guy. Really enjoyed the times I met him and exchanged emails. He was a positive influence on the trombone forum as well. RIP Chip.
8parktoollover

Post by 8parktoollover »

RIP but it's datee to almost a year ago.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

hyperbolica wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:12 am Very sad news, especially so late.
He was a positive influence on the trombone forum as well.
RIP Chip.
Indeed.
bbocaner

Post by bbocaner »

Oh that makes me sad. I met Chip at the Wessex trade stand and he was a very friendly and cool guy. And the small-bore trombones he was making with Wessex played great!!
heinzgries

Post by heinzgries »

Makes me sad too. RIP
FOSSIL

Post by FOSSIL »

Chip was a rare thing.... an out and out gentleman.... kind, polite, charming and great company to be with. He had a great life, did many wonderful things and played with many of the biggest names out there.
I was around to know him and call him friend.

Chris
Davidus1

Post by Davidus1 »

Very sorry to hear this..........I didn't know him personally but through this forum and through Wessex. RIP.
Conn Victor 5H
Yamaha YSL-630
Yamaha YSL-354
Miraphone 186 BBb

Return to “Instruments”