NY Bach 6 is shockingly warm

TromboneSam

NY Bach 6 is shockingly warm

Post by TromboneSam »

My main axe for the last 4 years has been a very good “loopy bell” King 3B, paired with a Bach Corp. 7C. Between the slide, partial response, and tuning, it was the best horn that I’d played and owned for a long time, especially since I love a warm, dark tone.

About a week ago I picked up a New York Bach 6 (no Roman numerals, but a “425” bell flare) from 1936. Serial No. 6xx. I was wanting to try something quite a bit smaller because I want to explore different parts of my sound and playing. What I found was that like most Bachs, it’s a harder blow than the King, despite being .023” smaller! On top of that, the sound has a lot more depth than my 3B when paired with my MV 7 mouthpiece. By that I mean the overtones are much more present throughout the registers. I didn’t realize such a small horn could be so much darker, warmer, and at times fuller than my 3B.

The horn is all original and probably spent the better part of about 50 years (or most of its life, even) in a closet based on the lacquer and slide. Yellow brass outers and slide crook. Screw joint between slide and gooseneck, but doesn’t has a slide lock. Apparently this one is similar in setup to the 6ii in the gooseneck and tuning slide, which might be why the sound is big. Has anyone else had a similar experience with NY 6’s or even 8’s? I’d love to hear your thoughts.
Finetales

Re: NY Bach 6 is shockingly warm

Post by Finetales »

Old 6s are my favorite Bach instrument. I've played a couple that were absolutely magical, especially for lyrical playing. Blew me away in a way that no other Bach (and not many instruments from any brand) has done. My daily driver for tenor is a stellar loopy 3B, and there is no better horn out there for what I do with it. But if I was often called to do the things those 6s really excel at, you can bet I'd have one. Even so I'd love to own one someday.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Yup, the 6 is one of those horns that was just right from the start (like the 2B and 3B, actually). I think they lost out only because they got it right in too small a package for most modern playing. The Kings have remained with us because they are more modern sized.

The 2 or 3 NY and MV 6s (all different) I've played have all been amazing, with the most defined slots above high Bb I've ever encountered.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

To revive an old thread....

I’ve read the 6vii is the most open and popular setup, but does anyone have any more info on the most desired era and specs? Does a MV 6vii vary much from a NY 6vii? Is it worth looking for one with an LT lightweight slide?

Do many pros still play Bach 6 for lead and commercial stuff or are they considered too small? I’ve read numerous times how big these things play!
Vegasbound

Post by Vegasbound »

Rusty wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:23 pm To revive an old thread....

I’ve read the 6vii is the most open and popular setup, but does anyone have any more info on the most desired era and specs? Does a MV 6vii vary much from a NY 6vii? Is it worth looking for one with an LT lightweight slide?

Do many pros still play Bach 6 for lead and commercial stuff or are they considered too small? I’ve read numerous times how big these things play!
A couple of first call players here in the UK use Bach 6's most notably Gordon Campbell
DaveAshley

Post by DaveAshley »

Vegasbound wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:23 am A couple of first call players here in the UK use Bach 6's most notably Gordon Campbell
Gordon does indeed play a 6 (a 6 vii, I believe), and sounds incredible. I got to play some big band with him last year. What a great guy and player!
Fidbone

Post by Fidbone »

Gordon plays a gold brass relatively "New" 6 with a nickel slide. When I say new I mean 20-30 years old!
Also some of the stays have been filled for a bit more weight and stability.
He may have a couple of older bells too, but always uses his nickel slide.

Andy Wood plays older Bach 6 trombones, I believe he has a few!
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

DaveAshley wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:59 pm
Vegasbound wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:23 am A couple of first call players here in the UK use Bach 6's most notably Gordon Campbell
Gordon does indeed play a 6 (a 6 vii, I believe), and sounds incredible. I got to play some big band with him last year. What a great guy and player!
Just found a few clips of Gordon, what a great sound!
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

Fidbone wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:38 am Gordon plays a gold brass relatively "New" 6 with a nickel slide. When I say new I mean 20-30 years old!
Also some of the stays have been filled for a bit more weight and stability.
He may have a couple of older bells too, but always uses his nickel slide.

Andy Wood plays older Bach 6 trombones, I believe he has a few!
I kind of had no idea that Bach were still making the model 6 in more recent times...so many that seem to pop up are NY models from the 30s and 40s.

I don’t know much about the difference in weight of the standard small bore Bach slides to their LT counterparts. Would you consider the standard weight slide to be overly heavy?
Fidbone

Post by Fidbone »

Rusty wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:33 pm
I don’t know much about the difference in weight of the standard small bore Bach slides to their LT counterparts. Would you consider the standard weight slide to be overly heavy?
No, they are well balanced instruments.
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

Yeah, the NY Bach 6 is probably the best small bore bone I've ever played, with only a Conn 24h beating it out. The great news is that there are so many of them out there, and a lot of them still play great. I have a friend with 2, originally bought by his father. The problem with them is that if you're trying to sell one, even a Bach with the New York stamp will be lucky to bring more than 8-$900. You'll see a lot of people try to sell them in the $13-1600 range or even higher where you assume a NY Bach should sell, but generally they wind up selling for much less. Not that they're not worth the money, they just built so many of them over the years.

And they do play big. It's probably your best opportunity to play a NY Bach, as anything else with that stamp will cost you some major coin.

I've always found the sound of the NY 6 to be perfect for Dixieland. Unless you've got some phenomenal control over your air and articulations, they can get a little pecky, just due to the small bore. If you're used to playing something bigger, you might find yourself getting backed up on the 6 (or the 24h). The tone is very warm, but the articulations can be a bit hard if you're not careful.
djkennedy

Post by djkennedy »

Could never pass up a model 6 if I had the money
That’s how I ended up with several
The model 8 is very close in size but very rare
As is the model 4
The many variations have different specs
I have #260 traded#313 with “Blackie” being the studio
Favorite While there are many around I looked sDillons
Inventory for condition and price points
I have purchased as low as 400 w high of 9
And prefer original finish case and contents silver plated are rare
The early ones some have nickle necks no slide lick
Slide bow ferrule bumper and spit key differences
SHOP CARDS written in ink on cards have specs store sold
And customer name. The most common mouthpiece in the case would be the 15C
BONES MALONE is the expert on these models
there is still documented notes by Peppy mostly
A few earlier horns are interesting before the beginning of the models
Prices and condition many have been refinished or stripped case long gone The tuning slide for beeps
Repair bow is inc
Incredibly tough brass outers also very stiff
A slight catching dent that I tolerated in a slide
Led to a snapped tube after new owner had it in Dagon
djkennedy

Post by djkennedy »

Very difficult to write all this on iPhone
So buy a couple of my 6s so I can get a new rig!!!!!
Big screen 📺 apple 🍎
Stories about Vinnie abound trombones were never the main focus Mouthpieces neither
Ghost horns. Have had
Out of Florida a six in the under 1000 serial
All intact w 5 or 6 mpcs customs and rare
found sold to MILES ANDERSON on condition he keep all the kit together The history lost the provenance lost but knowing feeling Army Air Force Band
In the scheme of things trombone the numbers of 6s made are very low
42s play like bigger 6s the tone feeling and vibe is still alive PAY A VISIT TO THE PLANT FACTORY take s tour
See the filing cabinet w the shop cards in the little trombone storage room
You used to get faxed copies of the shop cards
Perhaps some brave grad student could publish
A listing and analysis of the pre Elkhart trombone s
Barry Green’s Buddy Gunhild a guy in Oz on s silver no. bones on letterman you here about this
Ned Holder after Bones on Blues Brothers
Ok they are obsolete so is an old painting chair cast iron frying pan high carbon French chefs knife but the quality
Of a product design function and the pride of those workers who made them remain
Then and now
Buy cheep Get Cheep
This means nothing to bottom feeders
djkennedy

Post by djkennedy »

Martin Committee
Buescher Aristocrat
Holton 65
King 2B
York
Conn4H 24H
Selmer Paris Grand Prix
Couesnon
Boosey
And others
Concert bands school bands
Rubber bands
Just gobs of bands
Kako

Re: NY Bach 6 es sorprendentemente cálido

Post by Kako »

Hello there

I am looking for inner tubes of the 0.485 rod of a 6T bach trombone

someone knows where i can get them

Thank you
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Kako wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:13 am Hello there

Thank you
There is a music repair supply company in the US called Allied Supply. I believe they only sell to repair shops, and I'm not sure if they deal outside the US.

Failing that, you might be able to find a slide that you can use for parts. Problem is, there aren't too many Bach 6 trombones around, and most of the ones in working condition are kept that way by people who really appreciate them.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
ithinknot

Post by ithinknot »

BGuttman wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:24 am
Kako wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:13 am Hello there

Thank you
There is a music repair supply company in the US called Allied Supply. I believe they only sell to repair shops, and I'm not sure if they deal outside the US.

Failing that, you might be able to find a slide that you can use for parts. Problem is, there aren't too many Bach 6 trombones around, and most of the ones in working condition are kept that way by people who really appreciate them.
If you can't find tubes from the usual suspects (Conn-Selmer, Allied stock or M/K Drawing) then it's worth noting that Shires offers .485" options. There's no guarantee that their stocking diameter matches the Bach standard - more crucial than bore size re function with the existing outer tubes - but you could get a complete set of .485" ID inners and outers from them if you needed to completely retube the slide.

Good luck. It might be easier (if not cheaper) to find a substitute Bach slide.

Return to “Instruments”