modern Conn 62H

MTbassbone

modern Conn 62H

Post by MTbassbone »

Anyone have one of these? I curious if Conn makes a D slide, or if its a custom job. What are the leadpipe options? Is a yellow bell available? Is a thin bell available, similar to the Conn 88HTO?
hyperbolica

Re: modern Conn 62H

Post by hyperbolica »

Horn Guys have a good writeup on it. Looks like no yellow or T option. The thin option was necessay on the888h because newer ones used thicker metal. Elkharts are the same as the T version. So the bass might not need a special T option. Leadpipes are listed.

https://www.hornguys.com/products/conn- ... 5201&_ss=r
MTbassbone

Post by MTbassbone »

Anyone think its too snappy or barky for orchestra/chamber work? I don't play in a big orchestra so I am not after a huge tubish sound.
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

I wonder if it suffers in comparison to the original. Expectations too high?

B Reichenbach had a hand in its development, IIRC.
MTbassbone

Post by MTbassbone »

I'm not worried about it being compared to the classic Elkhart versions.
Specialk3700

Post by Specialk3700 »

Bach5G wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:52 am I wonder if it suffers in comparison to the original. Expectations too high?

B Reichenbach had a hand in its development, IIRC.
It's a pretty different horn from the original. I'm not sure if that's a great comparison to make.
Engineering student with a trombone problem.
Edwards B454
Shires Bravo
Yamaha 354
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

“It's a pretty different horn from the original. I'm not sure if that's a great comparison to make.”

That’s the point.
EOlson9

Post by EOlson9 »

I've been playing a modern 62H for 16 years. I really like it for musicals, concert band, jazz, trombone choir. Haven't played orchestral stuff in 14ish years. Only reason I'd want anything else would be for a great duo gravis or a single trigger bass as a lighter instrument.
Baritone Horn, Winona Brass Band
Euphonium La Crosse Concert Band
Euphonium, Tuba, Westby City Band
2bobone

Post by 2bobone »

I have a 62HI for sale in the classified section. It looks new and I thought it was terrific when I fitted an Edwards #2 leadpipe and a Sauer brace on the lower slide. I bought a Butler cause I'm an old codger. I can send pics ---- Lemme know ! I played a 4th of July concert with a pick-up orchestra last year and the tuba player asked if I was playing an Edwards, Shires or Greenhoe. He was impressed when I revealed that it was a garden variety Conn 62H ! Cheers !! Bob
Last edited by 2bobone on Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paulyg

Post by paulyg »

MTbassbone wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:46 am Anyone think its too snappy or barky for orchestra/chamber work? I don't play in a big orchestra so I am not after a huge tubish sound.
I can't think of any orchestral bass trombone parts that would benefit from sounding like a tuba...

Best way to put it, is that the 62H sounds like a Conn, and the 50 sounds like a Bach. Unless you are a permanent member of a big 5 orchestra section (and maybe not even then), the distinction between the two is purely a matter of personal preference.

If you pull the trigger on one, definitely attempt to try the dependent version as well. Makes a positive difference as far as I'm concerned. Also, the Eastlake lacquer on mine was VERY thick, especially around the flare. My horn came to life when I stripped the lacquer. Edit: Also in regards to what Bob said about adding an Edwards leadpipe, this definitely improved my horn as well.
Paul Gilles
Aerospace Engineer & Trombone Player
MTbassbone

Post by MTbassbone »

EOlson9 wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:17 pm I've been playing a modern 62H for 16 years. I really like it for musicals, concert band, jazz, trombone choir. Haven't played orchestral stuff in 14ish years. Only reason I'd want anything else would be for a great duo gravis or a single trigger bass as a lighter instrument.
Any idea of how much it weighs? or what it might compare to in terms of weight?

Also anyone know if it comes with a D slide?
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

It comes with a D slide.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
paulyg

Post by paulyg »

It's not light. Before I got an Edwards slide for it, mine was pretty back-heavy too. Now it is really well balanced, and a bullet brace is all that's needed for me to hold it up as long as I want. Tuning is Bb-F-D for the dependent model.

The days of light bells are over for Conn trombones. The Gen II 62H bell is thick and has a soldered rim. Either the seam is expertly buffed out, or it is one piece. Quite a departure from the 2 piece, unsoldered rims that made the Elkhart horns so famous.
Paul Gilles
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

paulyg wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:52 pmThe days of light bells are over for Conn trombones. The Gen II 62H bell is thick and has a soldered rim. Either the seam is expertly buffed out, or it is one piece. Quite a departure from the 2 piece, unsoldered rims that made the Elkhart horns so famous.
They are two piece, but they use a welded seam, and have for quite some time I believe. You maybe will be able to see it from inside the bell, but it will be very hard to see. Yamaha also uses welded seams on their 600 series, and I have yet to find them. Definitely less labor intensive than the standard brazed seam.

The Gen II Conn 88H "thin" bells still have a soldered rim, and from what I have heard, are not as thin as the elkhart version.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
paulyg

Post by paulyg »

tbonesullivan wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:06 pm
The Gen II Conn 88H "thin" bells still have a soldered rim, and from what I have heard, are not as thin as the elkhart version.
Yes, and most of the fun in playing the Elkhart horns is the sensation that you're riding a rocket... which comes from how flexible and responsive they are. The new ones are "great" horns, but too safe.
Paul Gilles
down8ve

Post by down8ve »

paulyg wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:33 pm
Yes, and most of the fun in playing the Elkhart horns is the sensation that you're riding a rocket... which comes from how flexible and responsive they are. The new ones are "great" horns, but too safe.
I really like Paul's comment: "Too safe." Pretty much describes everything wrong with the world in my book.

The astute reader will realize that the opposite of courage isn't cowardice, but conformity (Rollo May).

-Scott Moore

Return to “Instruments”