King Reference Materials from 1971

BGuttman

King Reference Materials from 1971

Post by BGuttman »

Here is some stuff from flotrb describing King instruments from 1971.

We have a little dispute going since he claims the Duo Gravis was only 7B, while I have an indy from 1980 that clearly states 7B (2107) on the bell When I bought my 7B there was a Duo Gravis clearly labeled 6B (2106). I don't know when King changed the Duo Gravis from 7B to 6B; perhaps when the models changed from 14xx to 21xx.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
chromebone

Re: King Reference Materials from 1971

Post by chromebone »

Interesting. I guess the question is, why did they skip over 6 and go to 7? Were they were planning on another model that would be called a 6B? Maybe they had plans for a single valve bass that was supposed to be a 6B that never got made?
Most likely whatever model it was supposed to be never materialized and they ended up changing the numbering when the developed the in-line 7B.
2bobone

Post by 2bobone »

Interesting. My Duo Gravis has no markings designating it as a 7B or a 2107 ---- just Duo Gravis / Silver Sonic. I also have an 8B which has 2108 and 8B engraved on the bell. It's curious that the catalogue listed the Duo Gravis as the "1490" 7B. No wonder owners aren't sure which instrument we're talking about !
Last edited by 2bobone on Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
greenbean

Post by greenbean »

Yes, the 14xx numbers were the earlier catalog numbers. They were eliminated when King came up with the new system 21xx. Around 1980?...

And, yes, the Duo Gravis was introduced as the 7-B. I don't think "7-B" ever appeared on the bell. When you have a name like "Duo Gravis" why put boring numbers on the bell?...

And at some point they started calling it the 6-B. When? I don't know. I will guess when they switched from 14xx to 21xx systems. But that is just a guess.

Also, I have owned 6 Duo Gravis horns - from 7B and 6B periods. None of them said anything other than Duo Gravis on the bell.
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns
chromebone

Post by chromebone »

I’ve seen a couple of late production Duo Gravis that said 6B in place of the Duo Gravis name on the bell.
greenbean

Post by greenbean »

chromebone wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:11 am I’ve seen a couple of late production Duo Gravis that said 6B in place of the Duo Gravis name on the bell.
Yes, you are right! I forgot about this. A photo that "flotrb" just posted in the History of King Bass Trombones (here: https://trombonechat.com/viewtopic.php?p=98067#p98067) jogged my memory. The latest DG that I owned was probably made in 1981 and had this style of marking on bell:

King
USA
6B
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns
flotrb

Post by flotrb »

Alas!
As my dear mother would always say to me: "Read the label!" I recall, that as a child, the cooling apparatus in the kitchen was very commonly referred to as the "fridge"...which is a reference to a Frigidaire brand refrigerator...even though ours was a General Electric refrigerator.

If it doesn't say "Duo Gravis", is it a "Duo Gravis"?

The 1971 1490S 7B says on the bell:

KING
Duo Gravis
Silver Sonic
King
Musical
Instruments
USA
(Trust...but verify)

Return to “Instruments”