Yamaha YBL-421G Refresh

walldaja

Yamaha YBL-421G Refresh

Post by walldaja »

A little over a year ago I played a 421G. I was surprised by the tone and response of the instrument and decided if I suddenly had some disposable income I'd get one. I got one last February and loved the sound, both as a solo instrument, playing with a quartet comprised of bass trombones, and playing in a large community band (100+, especially with loud Russian music).

Since Feb I've been playing a lot more trumpet and found a mpc for my large bore tenor that vastly improved it. Thought it was time to take the 421 out of its case. Wow, now I remember why I got it. Love playing it along with the sound it makes. Took a little time to get a good angle on my Neotech brace but love the way it sounds. The plus is it's even about a pound lighter than my tenor.

It will need to come out of the closet more, especially as our quartet gets together looking to Christmas music opportunities.
Dave

2014 Shires Q30GR with 2CL
1982 King 607F with 13CL
Yamaha 421G Bass with Christian Lindberg 2CL / Bach 1 1/2G
Bach Soloist with 13CL
1967 Olds Ambassador with 10CL
1957 Besson 10-10
Jean Baptiste EUPCOMS with Stork 4
Rusty

Re: Yamaha YBL-421G Refresh

Post by Rusty »

I’ve always been very impressed with these horns, they make a great sound and are very easy to play. I own a 620g which I feel is almost like a double valve version of the 421, super light and responsive with plenty of character to the sound.

These are great horns to get students onto, who are looking to play bass. They’re inexpensive so are great school horns too.

Did you play it much with the Yamaha 58L mouthpiece it comes with and could compare it to the Bach 1.5g?
dukesboneman

Post by dukesboneman »

About 2 years ago I bought a Yamaha 321 single trigger Bass and LOVE it !!
Very responsive , beautiful full sound.
Congrats
walldaja

Post by walldaja »

When I first got the horn I used the 58L mpc, I subsequently got the Bach to get a better sound on the low notes. I used the 58L on my Courtois tenor and liked the sound much better than the 5G I was using. While I can get high notes I keep the 58L in the case just in the event I need to play high for a longer time.
Dave

2014 Shires Q30GR with 2CL
1982 King 607F with 13CL
Yamaha 421G Bass with Christian Lindberg 2CL / Bach 1 1/2G
Bach Soloist with 13CL
1967 Olds Ambassador with 10CL
1957 Besson 10-10
Jean Baptiste EUPCOMS with Stork 4
JohntheTheologian

Post by JohntheTheologian »

Last December I bought a Yamaha BSL322R and I really love the horn. Nice and responsive and is all that I expected a good single trigger bass should be.

I play it with a Marcinkiewwicz GR mp most of the time. We have discussed this mp over on another thread and the consensus is that it is a slightly larger version of a basically Bach 1 1/G type mp. Works very well with the Yammie 321R.

Return to “Instruments”