Besson BE-943 Bass Trombone

braymond21

Besson BE-943 Bass Trombone

Post by braymond21 »

Has anyone had experience with the Besson BE 943 Bass Trombone with Hagmann valves? I'm looking to purchase one but can't find much info about them. How do they compare to other horns with similar valves? Are they compatible with other slides like Shires/Edwards/Bach?

Note: I'm debating between this and a Rath R9 with Hagmanns and trying to see if it's worth the higher price
Bryce Raymond
Owner/Repair Tech, Raymond Music
https://www.raymondmusic.com
SwissTbone

Re: Besson BE-943 Bass Trombone

Post by SwissTbone »

Any possibility to try both?
ƒƒ---------------------------------------------------ƒƒ
Like trombones? Head over to https://swisstbone.com/ to see some great vintage and custom horns!
SwissTbone

Post by SwissTbone »

Like trombones? Head over to https://swisstbone.com/ to see some great vintage and custom horns!
whitbey

Post by whitbey »

I had a friend that had one a few years ago. He bought it new. It played fairly dead but seemed like it should have been a better horn.
I suggested he have the tension taken out and sent him to Kevin at Michigan Musical.
He called me after the work was done and was ecstatic with the horn. Sadly he past and I never seen him to try the horn.
My point is that a lot of horns just need to be reassembled to play really well. So you buy blind and that horn plays dead you have a back up plan.
Edwards Sterling bell 525/547
Edwards brass bell 547/562
Edwards Jazz w/ Ab valve 500"/.508"
Markus Leuchter Alto Trombone
Bass Bach 50 Bb/F/C dependent.
Cerveny oval euphonium
Full list in profile
Alby56

Post by Alby56 »

I had one bought new, the slide was fantastic, the valves totally reliable, I had Raths put a different leadpipe in which transformed the instrument, played lovely through the valves in particular and had a terrific pedal range,
FWIW....
braymond21

Post by braymond21 »

Yes that's the one. I've just always wanted to try Hagmanns but also don't want to be broke haha
Bryce Raymond
Owner/Repair Tech, Raymond Music
https://www.raymondmusic.com
SwissTbone

Post by SwissTbone »

Yah Besson is the cheapest way to get into Hagmanns. Courtois is also an option. Quite a few of these on the used market.

I have played several Hagmann trombones. The best are of course my Hagmann customs. Mr. Hagmann insists his valves have to be installed correctly, wich isn't the case with all Bachs for example. But he told me Courtois did it right.

I don't have any experience with Besson trombones. I think Rath is the safer way to go if you can't test. But then, with Rath the setup has to "speak" to you with all those options...
timbone

Post by timbone »

It was a tough sell for Besson regarding trombones. As much as they tried and even with Dennis Wick behind them, people only considered Besson to be a euphonium company. The concept was a Conn like instrument as that was the popular instrument at that time (still is?). Good horns, lightweight jazz horns. Hagmann is a great system.
Russjones92

Post by Russjones92 »

I played one for my senior year in college but had to give it back because due to my situation I couldn't afford the payments I miss it a lot
DougHulme

Post by DougHulme »

timbone is right Besson have always found it difficult to make/sell a decent trombone which is why I would think when Courtois bought them they dropped their whole trombone range. however that said I have to say this particular model (which was their very last one to be produced) was a cracker. It is essentially the same as the present Courtois model that looks pretty similar and plays very similar. It is possibly the best trombone Besson produced. I know quite a few professionals over here in the UK who play that model, there must be something about them. Having said all that I'd personally buy a Rath if I had a choice!... Doug
timbone

Post by timbone »

Uh, not to belittle the dialog- the Besson is a good horn and was the first horn I saw and played with Hagmans. I would say it is more Conn like with Hagmans, and it may have a ten inch bell, so look for that. Play test that instrument, if that is what you are interested in, and try not to buy on price, (or name) as that cheapens the experience, buy what best suits the sound you are looking for, mechanics second.

Return to “Instruments”