Wayne Henderson

DakoJack

Wayne Henderson

Post by DakoJack »

I am not that familiar with Waynes Gear other than that he had a horn with upward bent bell "Dizzy style". Any one have any info on this black horn with the red inbell also side note does anyone know what his case situation was did someone make him a custom one.
BGuttman

Re: Wayne Henderson

Post by BGuttman »

Looks like it's bent at the receiver, much like the Davis Shuman horn. I'd bet if you assembled a Shuman horn with a wide dihedral angle you might get something like what he's playing.

As to the red inside the bell, it's probably paint.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
timbone

Post by timbone »

I'm glad you brought that name up- my favorite player among a lot of fine players. Sadly he has passed. I started listening to the Crusaders in HS, still their music is awesome. I have compiled a bunch of recordings of my favorite heads and solos he played- everyone needs to go to school on him! Love they way he played off the mic- listen to the power!!
And the Conn 6h sound- who else sounds like that? FR that's who! I'll put my Wayne Henderson "treatise" on dropbox for anyone interested- please pm me.

Many thanks! Oh did I tell you I had a 57' Conn 6h that needs a home?
timbone

Post by timbone »

BTW- The 6H goes back to the 60's, early 70's Chain Reaction, Those Southern Knights, Southern Comfort....must haves! The dizzy horn I do not know......
DakoJack

Post by DakoJack »

timbone wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:54 am I'm glad you brought that name up- my favorite player among a lot of fine players. Sadly he has passed. I started listening to the Crusaders in HS, still their music is awesome. I have compiled a bunch of recordings of my favorite heads and solos he played- everyone needs to go to school on him! Love they way he played off the mic- listen to the power!!
And the Conn 6h sound- who else sounds like that? FR that's who! I'll put my Wayne Henderson "treatise" on dropbox for anyone interested- please pm me.

Many thanks! Oh did I tell you I had a 57' Conn 6h that needs a home?
PM sent!!
dukesboneman

Post by dukesboneman »

Wayne was one of my earliest influences. Some times he still comes out in my playing
timbone

Post by timbone »

Ok folks- I uploaded seventeen of my favorite Wayne Henderson solos and heads- for all to enjoy. The tracks are up on dropbox in wav. format. There are a few other albums/cd's I'd draw from but I would have to dig to find them. Elanor Rigby 1968) comes to mind. Please PM me with your email address so I can put you on the list.

Thanks and for those that are new to the "school", welcome!

PS- In no way is this an attempt to bypass royalties. Do yourself a favor and buy the complete albums- you'll be glad you did! This is for educational outreach only!
Bonehead

Post by Bonehead »

In an interview from around 2001 or '02 he said that he played a King 3B Silversonic with a Bach 11C. He warned the readers to not try bending the bell flare yourself, it needs to be done professionally :shock:
jorymil

Post by jorymil »

On the cover of "The Festival Album," it looks like he's playing something with a yellow or gold brass bell around 8" in size, though it's tough to tell for sure from web images. If someone owns the original LP, they might be able to tell better. Definitely no bent bell there; must have come later in his career.
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

I had an unplanned version of that bent bell one time in high school. I fell off the back of a riser and dropped my Bach 42. The bell ended up at a crazy angle to the slide. Fortunately, it was repairable.
nds

Post by nds »

Thank you for this thread. The Crusaders’ Jazz Waltz album is one of my favorite “new” jazz discoveries.
dbwhitaker

Post by dbwhitaker »

I grew up a Crusaders fan but didn't know about that album - thanks for posting. I see that it's available for streaming on Pandora: https://pandora.app.link/kcTmzeUMs3 (Pandora is US only - sorry. It doesn't seem to be available on Spotify.) Note that the artist name for this album is The Freedom Sounds rather than Wayne Henderson.

(Disclaimer: Pandora is my employer.)

Return to “Instruments”