A horn that plays fast. An equipment fantasy

whitbey

A horn that plays fast. An equipment fantasy

Post by whitbey »

Many years ago, I was electrocuted. It has created a lot of health issues for me. I lost my doodle and double tonguing for more then a few notes. The list keeps going but this is an example of a horn that gives back the things I cannot relearn. I have bought back solutions with equipment. Kind of like buying an Edwards trombone because you can play better on it.

So not one to give up I created something that works. I added one valve. A 1st valve or Ab attachment. So, the horn is a combination slide / valve trombone. But just the one valve. More graceful and does not stick out funny or silly looking.

The use of the valve is a study in alternate positions. You put the slide 2 positions short. By making every other note an alternate it all works. For whole steps the slide might not move but for half steps you probably need to move a position.

A simple F scale F-1st, G-T2nd, A-2nd, Bb-T3, C-3, D-T2, E-2nd, F in short 2nd to go back down or just slide into F if that is where you are going. Want an Eb scale, just move out 2 positions. A little practice and most things can be found. Technique is to blow though the horn and let the valve do the articulation. Adding a few extra notes to a line is straight forward. The longer positions do offer more alternatives.

I have a few videos of my Dixie band on YouTube. I use the valve throughout the gig here and there.

Tiger Rag does well with a lot of fast licks. Lots of notes fits the rambunctious nature of the piece.
Tiger Rag https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1RJ6CjuAzE

The second link is Bourbon Street Parade that has a few runs. 44 seconds in my solo starts.
Bourbon Street Parade https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDEDwRypzNk

No; I am not a great player, but I have fun and seem to be better every year.

This valve is from and older 547 Edwards horn. The slide receiver on the 500/508 Edwards slide and the bell section is 547. The rest of the horn is small bore. I could see Edwards making a valve that fits small bore and also an alto for trilling.

Many thanks to Kevin Powers of Michigan Musical did the work. And Chris at Edwards has sold me many parts.

Link to the YouTube page
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5Iw_Y ... subscriber
Edwards Sterling bell 525/547
Edwards brass bell 547/562
Edwards Jazz w/ Ab valve 500"/.508"
Markus Leuchter Alto Trombone
Bass Bach 50 Bb/F/C dependent.
Cerveny oval euphonium
Full list in profile
bimmerman

Re: A horn that plays fast. An equipment fantasy

Post by bimmerman »

That's a really neat solution! Do you have any photos of the horn and modification?
whitbey

Post by whitbey »

bimmerman wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:28 pm That's a really neat solution! Do you have any photos of the horn and modification?
Pics are in my profile.
Cerveny oval euphonium
Full list in profile
Finetales

Post by Finetales »

I remember watching a live concert of a European big band on YouTube, and the trombonist had some sort of valve right after the mouthpiece that didn't change the pitch but still opened and closed which let him emulate the precise, notched slurs of a valve instrument. Not quite the same use as your Ab valve (no alternates) but it reminded me of it nonetheless.
Mv2541

Post by Mv2541 »

Finetales wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:36 pm I remember watching a live concert of a European big band on YouTube, and the trombonist had some sort of valve right after the mouthpiece that didn't change the pitch but still opened and closed which let him emulate the precise, notched slurs of a valve instrument. Not quite the same use as your Ab valve (no alternates) but it reminded me of it nonetheless.
I believe that is Dave Bargeron, but I'm not sure if he still uses it
Software Developer/Educator
JP Rath 236 - XT L101 C+/AS
Bach LT16M - XT L101 C+/D3
Bach 36BO - XT L101 E/E4
Edwards T396 - XT L101 F+/G8
Courtois 502 - LB L114 L/L8
TheSheriff

Post by TheSheriff »

Mv2541 wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:09 pm
Finetales wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:36 pm I remember watching a live concert of a European big band on YouTube, and the trombonist had some sort of valve right after the mouthpiece that didn't change the pitch but still opened and closed which let him emulate the precise, notched slurs of a valve instrument. Not quite the same use as your Ab valve (no alternates) but it reminded me of it nonetheless.
I believe that is Dave Bargeron, but I'm not sure if he still uses it

I think you’re right. I remember working with Dave many moons ago when he first got the mouthpiece. I thought, c’mon man. Seriously? I don’t think he used it for very long. He probably caught too much grief from other trombonists.

Whitbey, good for you! It keeps you playin’!

Lawler model 1
Lawler model 2
Lawler Model 3
Williams 6
Williams L
Kanstul 1606
Conn 71H
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

We had a few people here who made a strong argument that a G valve would serve most of us tenor players much better than the traditional F, for the same reasons you are using an Ab. Why did you choose yours?
whitbey

Post by whitbey »

timothy42b wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:41 am We had a few people here who made a strong argument that a G valve would serve most of us tenor players much better than the traditional F, for the same reasons you are using an Ab. Why did you choose yours?
Ab is a first valve. If you are choosing just one valve of a valved horn, the first valve is the one used the most.
Cerveny oval euphonium
Full list in profile
walldaja

Post by walldaja »

Neat idea, thanks for sharing the videos as well.
Dave

2014 Shires Q30GR with 2CL
1982 King 607F with 13CL
Yamaha 421G Bass with Christian Lindberg 2CL / Bach 1 1/2G
Bach Soloist with 13CL
1967 Olds Ambassador with 10CL
1957 Besson 10-10
Jean Baptiste EUPCOMS with Stork 4

Return to “Instruments”