1970's Bach 42B

Jimbbob

1970's Bach 42B

Post by Jimbbob »

Hello all. New member here.
After a very long absence I have rediscovered the love of playing trombone. After playing in high school in the early 80's, I took about a 35 year break from playing. I have recently found a community band and a swing/jazz band and am happily relearning my craft on the 3rd trombone part!

I found this old horn and gave it a thorough cleaning. It was not treated real well in the 81-83 marching seasons, but it is intact and plays beautifully still. I find myself enjoying the swing band the most and have picked up a cheap 606 for that band. My question is: what kind of value is there in this old Bach 42B? I know it's suited more for band/symphonic type playing, and that is really not where my interest lies right now.

Believe it or not, I have the original receipt (thanks Mom), not that that matters. There is a crease in the bell that was repaired, and there are red spots (not "rot" as the spots appear to be only on the surface), and then normal wear marks on all the typical contact places. The case is beat up, but is the original French style case.

What do I do with this thing? Should I keep? Try to sell as is? Dump some money into a restoration?

Would appreciate any thoughts/guidance.
Jim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
paulyg

Re: 1970's Bach 42B

Post by paulyg »

Corp horns like this are great candidates for valve conversions. Eric Edwards does them with Instrument Innovations rotary valves. Maybe look him up.
Paul Gilles
Aerospace Engineer & Trombone Player
bimmerman

Post by bimmerman »

If you have space to keep it, it never hurts to have both a large bore and a small bore. You could also sell it and make a few bucks, but if it were me I'd keep it. You never know when you might get invited to play in a quintet or a more orchestral-sounding community band.
brassmedic

Post by brassmedic »

I wouldn't sink a bunch of money into it if it weren't a horn I was planning to use at all. Maybe it's an optical illusion, but the bell brace looks bent. There's also some possibly sketchy solder work at the receiver, and a broken F-attachment brace. Maybe get that stuff fixed, but otherwise it's a nice vintage 42B with a little bit of lacquer wear at contact points, just like millions of other used trombones. If you think you might ever use it then keep it. If not, sell it. You should be able to get a decent amount of money for it.
Brad Close Brass Instruments - brassmedic.com
Jimbbob

Post by Jimbbob »

Thank you for the replies. Good eye brassmedic. Yes, I don't remember the incident, but a repair job was done back in the 80's and I see a small piece of "steel" in the joint near the circular F valve cover (sorry don't know the technical name). That solder job seems to have done the trick, but the bell seems too close to the slide when playing.

I'm going to an equipment repair shop tomorrow to get an estimate on getting that straightened as well as getting a brace for the f tubing.

I don't want to be without a large bore horn. I've found a deal on an ETB 432 Eastman horn for $300. So, I'm thinking of doing a "downgrade" on the large bore, and maybe using the extra money to get a decent small bore horn for jazz.

Based on completing the repair work, and some research I've done, I'm thinking somewhere in the $1000-$1500 range for this horn. Is that ballpark?
Thank you again for the replies.
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

I had one just like that that I got used in 1977 for $275. I got it refurbished in the mid 90s and then ended up selling it after getting a used Edwards. I wish I still had it. That horn survived me falling off the back of a riser when I was at a regional orchestra clinic one time. I dropped it and the bell ended up at an interesting angle to the slide. If it is in useable condition, I would say get it looked over by a good brass tech and keep it.
MalecHeermans

Post by MalecHeermans »

Probably a keeper. That’s a prime era for those horns.
jbeatenbough

Post by jbeatenbough »

I love my 70's 42B... I will never part with it. It is a great sounding horn. I would vote for you to keep it. I would only do the minimal repairs to keep it solid and playable. I always recommend the slide doctor.
John

Tenor:
King 2B Silvertone-DW 12CS
Shires 1Y,T47,Dual Valve-DW 6BL
Shires 7YLW screw bell, T08-25YC-DW 6BS
Kanstul 1555-DW 6BS

Alto:
Thomann TEB480L-Schilke 45B

Trumpet:
King Liberty Silvertone AB-Schilke M2C
King 600-Bach 7C
Bonearzt

Post by Bonearzt »

Meh, it's junk! I'll give you $100 to relieve you of your boat anchor......https://trombonechat.com/images/icons/smile/mrgreen.gif

GREAT horn!!! and worthy of some TCL!!!

Eric
Eric Edwards
Professional Instrument Repair

"If you must choose between two evils, choose the one you haven't tried yet."
"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

Looks like the slide was bent towards the bell at some point, bending the brace and the valve knuckle. I would say it's worth fixing though, definitely, even if you plan to sell it. Horns that need work never sell well.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone

Return to “Instruments”