Cimbasso instead of bass trombone

SwissTbone

Re: Cimbasso instead of bass trombone

Post by SwissTbone »

harrisonreed wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:48 pm LOL full time labor pay or else no mute!

Truly, if you're not getting paid, you could just bring a kazoo I suppose. No pressure no problem if there is no pay.

On a side note, in British brass bands, don't the players get "put to pasture" so to speak, as they age out of their instruments? I thought the whole point of transposing clefs was so that you could "retire" to euphonium when you no longer could play cornet.
I play a lot in british style brass bands, not in England, but in Switzerland where brass banding also has a strong tradition. Yes, a lot of players switch instruments and most players begin on cornet (not me). But "put to pasture" is not the way it is done.

In "town" brass bands this is done to fill the gaps. Often an accomplished player takes up a larger instrument to fill gaps. But not because he can't play the cornet anymore, but more in order to serve his band.

In "competing" brass bands, this is not really done. Either a player has the needed level or he hasn't, simple as that.
elmsandr wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:33 pm
Just a note for everybody out here, unless you are getting paid for full time labor, you can forget the mute. Just, you know, don’t. It really doesn’t matter. Play quieter and into your stand... it will be fine. Really, if anybody is asking me for more than straight and cup on a bass... they probably aren’t getting it and not likely even that.

Cheers,
Andy
Andy, where I live, with that philosophy you wouldn't be invited to play. Not even on community level. We do what the music asks us to do.
ƒƒ---------------------------------------------------ƒƒ
Like trombones? Head over to https://swisstbone.com/ to see some great vintage and custom horns!
Basbasun

Post by Basbasun »

Some of you guys are really cute!
In Sweden there are hundreds of amature bigbands, they use mutes.
A Cimbasso in an orchestra is a big instrument with a very large bore.
A valved basstrombone (in F) is not a big instrument, there bore is less the 600.
The brass band euphonium players are really good, their parts are taxing.
Tremozl

Post by Tremozl »

cozzagiorgi wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:55 pm
Andy, where I live, with that philosophy you wouldn't be invited to play. Not even on community level. We do what the music asks us to do.
He means if you aren't getting paid, why invest in expensive niche stuff that you're now *losing* money on.

If you're getting paid, then the story is different.

I can see some logic in that.
SwissTbone

Post by SwissTbone »

Tremozl wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:51 am
He means if you aren't getting paid, why invest in expensive niche stuff that you're now *losing* money on.

Well, then why invest in a trombone? If it's a hobby it will cost money. Not a real investment but rather money spent for a hobby. And if you want to do your hobby at a certain level...

If it's a job, then yeah, it can be seen as an investment.
ƒƒ---------------------------------------------------ƒƒ
Like trombones? Head over to https://swisstbone.com/ to see some great vintage and custom horns!
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

It's not as uncommon in a lot of places as you might think. Before I moved out here, in the northern WV/southern PA area the bands I played in seldom used mutes.
elmsandr

Post by elmsandr »

Matt K wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:47 am It's not as uncommon in a lot of places as you might think. Before I moved out here, in the northern WV/southern PA area the bands I played in seldom used mutes.
In my experience it is more this high-middle semi-pro level group that cares more about mutes. Top of the world pros, sure they have opinions on mutes, but given the opportunity they will use something from the band's mute box rather than bring one.

I make my money doing something else. You don't need to be a jerk about it, but it really doesn't matter. Scoring for exotic mutes is mostly an exercise in intellectual fappery. I say this a a person that owns most every mute that I'll ever see printed. Except a bass harmon. Don't have one of those yet. Use them if it makes you feel good. If we aren't composing our own music we're just playing in a cover band.

Cheers,
Andy
*also a stage manager and the guy tasked with bringing the mute box.
imsevimse

Post by imsevimse »

Don't do it.

/Tom
Tremozl

Post by Tremozl »

cozzagiorgi wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:43 am

Well, then why invest in a trombone? If it's a hobby it will cost money. Not a real investment but rather money spent for a hobby. And if you want to do your hobby at a certain level...

Well, I mean... if you're going to reduce my point all the way down to "why even have hobbies" then I don't really see the point in reasoning further. C'est la guerre.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

[media][/media]
imsevimse wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:37 pm Don't do it.

/Tom
Tom, for the win!
ronnies

Post by ronnies »

I have ended up playing 'cimbasso' or similar parts on bass trombone rather than the other way round. :-)

Ronnie
Shires Tru-Bore (Bb/F/Gb/D)
Bach Stradivarius 42 (unlacquered bell)
Excel Bb/F/Gb/D (Chinese made Yamaha YBL-613G clone)
Basbasun

Post by Basbasun »

ronnies wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:34 am I have ended up playing 'cimbasso' or similar parts on bass trombone rather than the other way round. :-)

Ronnie
Yes, most cimbasso and trombone basso parts are playable on bass trombone.
The OP like to get away from the basstrombone of medicle reasons.
As I said, the cimbasso is a contrabass valve trombone, there are bass valve trombones too.
imsevimse

Post by imsevimse »

cozzagiorgi wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:43 am

I'm not buying trombones or play trombones to get rich? Who does that?

I've heard a contra bass trombone as the fourth part of a trombone Quartet with professional players. It worked but it was not the kind of sound I would want on the fourth part.

/Tom
dukesboneman

Post by dukesboneman »

NO where in the original post does it say anything about playing 3rd parts. Where did that come from?
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

dukesboneman wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:19 am NO where in the original post does it say anything about playing 3rd parts. Where did that come from?
Well, that's the majority of bass trombone music...
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
rodgeman

Post by rodgeman »

Cerveny makes a f bass trombone - http://www.vfcerveny.cz/en/rotary-valve ... -cvt-576-4 . This might work. I played bass trombone until my elbow had issues (long ago injury).
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

rodgeman wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:37 pm Cerveny makes a f bass trombone - http://www.vfcerveny.cz/en/rotary-valve ... -cvt-576-4 . This might work. I played bass trombone until my elbow had issues (long ago injury).
Problem with this one (and any of the 4 valve F trombones) is that they are an ergonomic nightmare. You need something like the Ergobone support to take the weight off. The 51C could better meet the OP's needs.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
s11141827

Post by s11141827 »

The Cimbasso is essentially an Upright Contrabass Valve Trombone that's shaped like an Inverted L. It kinda makes me think of Juan Tizol who played Valve Trombone w/ the Duke Ellington Orchestra.
imsevimse

Post by imsevimse »

I've heard it done in trombone quartet and in a big band and it can work. I guess it depends on who is doing all the playing. There are lots of different bass trombone sounds as it is. I prefer a distinct sound with lots of overtones but some prefer sounds with less high frequencies and instead more of the fundamentals. I think if someone can make a cimbasso blend, then it's no problem.

/Tom
psybersonic

Post by psybersonic »

harrisonreed wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:48 pm LOL full time labor pay or else no mute!

Truly, if you're not getting paid, you could just bring a kazoo I suppose. No pressure no problem if there is no pay.

On a side note, in British brass bands, don't the players get "put to pasture" so to speak, as they age out of their instruments? I thought the whole point of transposing clefs was so that you could "retire" to euphonium when you no longer could play cornet.
Yes you can slowly move down the instruments from Soprano Eb Cornet to the Nirvana of BBb tuba.Competition rules forbid valve trombones but only the the hallowed Bass Trombone is excluded from the transposed treble clef. Although some old tenor trombone parts are in tenor clef which usually causes consternation.
At a recent concert the cornet section were required to play kazoos. Just sayin.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

What is with the resurrection of old threads from 2019 today?? Two in one day, record set!

Return to “Instruments”