Yamaha YSL 456

Jimbbob

Yamaha YSL 456

Post by Jimbbob »

Did a forum search and came up with very little on this model. I'm eyeing one that appears to be in very good condition. It looks like this model was not made (sold?) here in the states. From what I've pieced together:
Japan model
Dual bore. I think 500/522?
Anyone have any firsthand experience with this horn? Does it have a domestic equivalent that I can research some more? Are there quality issues I should be concerned about? Not sure of date of manufacture yet.

Appreciate any input!
PaulT

Re: Yamaha YSL 456

Post by PaulT »

There is a Yamaha YSL 456A that is made in Japan for the Australian market: https://au.yamaha.com/en/products/music ... oduct-tabs

It appears to be identical in all regards to YSL 446G that is sold in the U.S:
https://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical ... oduct-tabs

It is a medium bore (.525) horn with an F-attachment. It should be a dandy horn.

(I found nothing from Yamaha to indicate that there is a dual bore version)

((which only means I found nothing))
Jimbbob

Post by Jimbbob »

Thanks Paul. The one I've inquired about has the G suffix. Google turns up a few historical items:
https://reverb.com/item/3441961-yamaha- ... g-trombone
all of which seem to reference the dual bore, and most of which seem to indicate sales in Japan.

Seems like a dual bore option on a traditional 446. I've never owned a dual bore horn, would need to research the advantages of such a setup. If it's indeed a dual bore 446, seems like a very versatile setup.

Thanks again

P.S. and using a converter, the few references I see to this horn are 12.7mm/13.34mm, which equates to 500/525!
Klimchak

Post by Klimchak »

It is the same as the 356G. Usually sold with the slimline case. Dual bore, 8” bell.
PaulT

Post by PaulT »

That looks like a great horn.

I think you owe it to American trombone players to bring that interesting horn to our shores. As a music patriot. And don't delay. The longer you wait, the greater the chance a Russian or someone will snatch it away.

If it doesn't suit you, that will be an easy horn to flip. I would buy it... if I hadn't already purchased three horns this year and if I wasn't married.
Russjones92

Post by Russjones92 »

Heck my interest is definitely peaked I love Yamaha horns anyways lol
Russjones92

Post by Russjones92 »

They also have a straight version called the 455G looks very interesting to me
PhilE

Post by PhilE »

The Australian version used to be the 456J (might have been GJ) which was also known as the James Morrison version. This was his instrument before going to Schagerl. It is now called the 456A.

The G in Yamaha speak indicates gold brass bell and I'm pretty sure it was a dual bore.

I remember reading some time ago that JM wanted to endorse an intermediate horn because he wanted younger musicians to know that they didn't need a top of the line instrument to sound good on.

I don't know if he played an actual 456J but it looked like one and he sounded pretty good as always.
tillsqb

Post by tillsqb »

Thanks for the info in this thread, I have been pondering the YSL 456R for a few days and trying to find any reviews.
Evidently, the R is just a rose brass bell (which is what the instrument has).

Thanks for helping me decide to buy the horn.
Jimbbob

Post by Jimbbob »

Wow, resurrection of an old thread that looked familiar (since I started it). I've been on quite the 2 year run of buying/selling horns to find the perfect horn (for me). I owned the Yamaha 356 and it was fantastic. I have re-acquired a Yamaha 446 and will never let this one go. 525 bore, very versatile. And I'm now a firm believer that Yamaha slides are the best.
You're right in that the R is for their rose brass. Beautiful looking and sounding horn. Hope you enjoy your new horn tillsqb!

Return to “Instruments”