Looking for info on Holton TR 180 Bass trombone

NeLu

Looking for info on Holton TR 180 Bass trombone

Post by NeLu »

I'm looking for information on a Holton TR180 bass trombone (silver plated) and would love to learn more about it. History, value, opinions, problems/solutions. I love the horn I just want to know more about it
ssking2b

Re: Looking for info on Holton TR 180 Bass trombone

Post by ssking2b »

I own 2 of them, but neither is silver plated. The TR180 was at first a less than successful model horn. LeBlanc/Holton enlisted Lewis Van Haney to redesign the horn. The updated TR180 (with The Glanz trigger system and other improvements) was released early in 1973. Manufacture started in the fall of 1972, and Haney, who I was studying with at the time, got me one pre-release.

I played that horn for 40 years of my career, and acquired a second one of the same age (19 serial numbers newer) and some customizations in 2008. They are great horns!

After all those years I have retired both horns and now perform on XO horns.
===============================================
XO Brass Artist - http://www.pjonestrombone.com
===============================================
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

I have 3 of them. One from the late 1960s with a 9 and 1/2 inch flare and 2 from 1972 with 10 inch bells. Matched up with the proper lead pipe(most original pipes are not so great) they can be very responsive and colorful horns. I also know someone who had their 180 converted to Greenhoe valves when Greenhoe first came into existence. Very nice horn.
Khan88h

Post by Khan88h »

What leadpipe do you recommend? I have a 180 I'm looking to upgrade with new rotors from instrument innovations and would like to replaced the leadpipe at the same time.
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

Khan88h wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:18 am What leadpipe do you recommend? I have a 180 I'm looking to upgrade with new rotors from instrument innovations and would like to replaced the leadpipe at the same time.
Following on pipe recommendations.
Would you mind posting pics of your horn and a review of how it plays now verses original valves? Thx.
oneely

Post by oneely »

I apologize to those who have responded to my original request for help. I am a newbie on this forum.
I have not been able to get the requested photographs of my horn from my computer to my posts on this thread.
Any help would be appreciated.

Answers to some of your questions:
The horn has a 10 inch Rose Brass bell inscribed with "Holton, Elkhorn Wis. U.S.A."
I think tuning is Bb-F-D. How do I verify that?

Thanks
Otto Neely
831-521-9757
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

If the picture files are not too big, you can upload them using the "attachments" tab in the full editor. Note that some files will be rejected if too big.

If the picture files are located on line (like in Photobucket), you can use the IMG tags:

1. Right click on the image online.
2. Click on the "Copy Image Address"
3. In your post, use the IMG tags like this

Code: Select all

[img]picture address goes here[/img]
Note that you must use square brackets for the IMG tags.

The result will look like this:
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"

Return to “Instruments”