Looking for a new trombone

Rmolina3424

Looking for a new trombone

Post by Rmolina3424 »

After my college auditions, I am planning to buy a new trombone. (The schools are, UCLA, CSU Fullerton, CSU Long Beach, CSU Northridge, and San Diego State) My current horn is a Bach TB 200. Any suggestions on what I should get? I have $3k saved up and my parents are also willing to give me $3k for a new horn.
tbonesullivan

Re: Looking for a new trombone

Post by tbonesullivan »

I would wait until you get to college, and work under the guidance of the private teacher you work with.

Are you currently studying privately now? There are a TON of horns out there, and none of us are familiar with your playing.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
norbie2018

Post by norbie2018 »

I second what David says - wait until college when you can select one under the guidance of a private teacher. You may choose one now and find it really doesn't fit you. You're probably excited to get one now, but hold off and you'll likely be rewarded with an instrument that fits you well.
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

Looks to me like a visit to Steve Ferguson and the Horn Guys might be in order.
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

Sounds like you're in SoCal. If so, I would suggest a visit to Ferguson Music (hornguys.com); if you've got a private lesson teacher, see if they'll come with and offer some advice.

Another option would be to wait 'til you get a couple lessons from you college trombone prof and get their input.
Jimkinkella

Post by Jimkinkella »

Definitely work out ideas with a teacher.
Try as many horns in person as you can.
Buy a horn you've played if at all possible.
Your budget is way more than necessary for even a top-notch instrument - your $3k can get you a fantastic used horn.
A great playing used horn is much more useful and fun to play than a mediocre new one.
In addition to the Horn Guys, The Brassark can have some really great used stuff.
Vegastokc

Post by Vegastokc »

Ditto on all previous advice: work with you private teacher, try many horns, be patient, budget is more than enough, etc, etc. I am sure all those schools have quality low brass instructors to pull wisdom from. (Actually was considering CS Northridge myself for music when I was looking at schools way back when... :good: ).
Also, with your financial resources you may be able to get more than one horn depending on your focus.
For instance, I do not think anyone would suggest marching with a brand new $3K horn . (Most of those schools might assign matching horns to everyone for marching anyway.) Or if you focus on jazz a quality straight tenor 2nd horn might be warranted. The TB 200 should get you started and can be used for practice, marching, pep band etc after you get a new one (or two :P ). Don't fall for the per pressure when you see the shiny fancy horns of the guys around you. Your patience will pay off. ;)
Michael Saffier
I ate twice as much lasagna as I should have...
TromboneConcerto

Post by TromboneConcerto »

All I'd suggest is don't feel locked in to buying a new horn. With $6k you can get nearly any horn you want on the used market, and have cash to spare. But to go hornguys with your teacher first and try some horns first so you know what brands, bell materials, etc you like the most.
harpo

Post by harpo »

The advice to take advice from a teacher seems very sensible. As an amateur who recently purchased their first instrument since school last year, I can offer you my experience.

I went to the local shop (UK - Dawkes Music) where I was set up in a good sized practice room and taken through a number of different instruments. My wife (a professional musician) was with me, acting as my ears. I was concerned that they'd all sound the same, but was pleasantly surprised when they were all different. For me the Conn 88H was so much easier to play (and nicer) than my old Besson Sovereign. The Getzen 3047 confused me as it had more tone, but was stuffier. I didn't like Yamaha at all. The final instrument I went for was a Getzen 4147 - which was more musical than the Conn to my ears. I also tried a Rath, Edwards, Courtois, and a few others. That was at a different shop where the set up was a very small room, so the trial wasn't so good. But I still preferred the Getzen (the Edwards being very similar, but more expensive).

That's my experience. Yours may be TOTALLY different. But I think you will find very quickly what works for you if you go and spend some hours in the shop trialling them. Tip: take a musical friend as your ears (not necessarily a brass player). Make sure you've got some music to play in the shop, and play the same pieces on each instrument. I used Schubert's Die Schoene Mullerin, but then I'm not a college trained musician, so I expect you've got lots or music up your sleeve.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

What is your current horn? Getzen? 42? 88H? If you're similar to 99% of first year music students, your current trombone doesn't suck but your maintenance does. So, do some serious slide maintenance on your current horn if it's one of those listed above, mostly just clean it yourself and learn the mechanics of lubricating it properly. Then your horn will be like a new horn. Not even a joke.

Take a good year with your teacher at school, THEN shop for a trombone.
jbeatenbough

Post by jbeatenbough »

All the above was great advice... one more thought... be thinking about 2 or more purchases (no rush - take your time)... you will likely play several different styles in different settings and that can be hard to do on just one axe. With $6k you can easily get a professional small/medium bore + professional large bore (and perhaps a bass horn too)... Look at peoples signatures on here and you'll see how many people have several.
John

Tenor:
King 2B Silvertone-DW 12CS
Shires 1Y,T47,Dual Valve-DW 6BL
Shires 7YLW screw bell, T08-25YC-DW 6BS
Kanstul 1555-DW 6BS

Alto:
Thomann TEB480L-Schilke 45B

Trumpet:
King Liberty Silvertone AB-Schilke M2C
King 600-Bach 7C
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Wait I just saw that you did put your model of trombone and it's what looks like a straight bach student model...

You might want to contact your future teacher and ask what kind of used trombone they want you to get for the first year of lessons. It would depend on if you're trying for a jazz or classical program. My thought is that that trombone won't cut it, especially for a classical program. But you also don't want to spend too much going on. Something with good resale value, like a used 42 or 88H would be good for a classical program. That TB-200 might be fine for a jazz program, though...
Thrawn22

Post by Thrawn22 »

For the money you have to spend you can get a few horns and have your bases covered. Go try a few large bore horns and a few small bore horns to get an idea wjat you like. Chances are, since you're in socal, you'll need a Bach 42 or 88H, and a King 2B or Bach 12 or 16. And being in socal, you have PLENTY of choices of shops to get good info, service and selection.

Btw, i have a Conn 100H for sale ;)
6H (K series)
6H (early 60s)
4H/5H custom bell
78H ('53)
78H (K series)
78H/36BG /2547 slide
8H
88HN
71H (dependant valves)
72H
35H alto (K series)
StephenK

Post by StephenK »

Much good advice here.
Talk to your teacher and those who you respect/admire, but keep an open mind.
Try several instruments, comparing in a similar way. Only buy something that you are delighted with, not something that is just ok.
Don't buy unseen/untried.
Buy for the future, a long term purchase.
Rmolina3424

Post by Rmolina3424 »

Thanks everyone for their suggestions, I will definitely keep what everyone has said here in mind.
lauriet

Post by lauriet »

I have a Bach TB200 and a King 3B.
I like the TB200 best !!!

Return to “Instruments”