NAMM Report 2020

Burgerbob

NAMM Report 2020

Post by Burgerbob »

Hello all. Just completed two noisy, energy sapping days (couple hours each) at NAMM in Anaheim.

Here's my thoughts on some low brass instruments... remember that sound isn't something I can judge really well in a huge convention center, so most of this is feel based rather than how it sounds in a great hall on a recital.

For reference, basses are played with a Greg Black 1G .312 #2, tenors are all played with a Greg Black Alessi 3.5M, small tenors are played with one of my 6.5ALs, euphoniums are all played with my Wick SM3X

1. Courtois:
Courtois didn't bring any of the fun New Yorker stuff. Pretty lame, last year they brought a bass and two tenors I think. This year it was just the normal line stuff.

AC502 was ok. It's their basic pro bass. It's basic- gets the job done. Plays well enough, isn't too heavy, responds ok, technically sounds like a bass trombone.

AC420H was really, really good. This is the 42 copy with Hagmann, all yellow. Very even, great hagmann install (not always a given!), built really well, and just felt good to play.

AC420BO (think that's the designation). This is the 42BO copy with their own rotor. I only played it for a couple minutes because the F side felt so, so bad compared to the Hagmann above. Didn't center, didn't inspire any confidence. Could be a show horn thing.

Xtreme .508 is a great 3B competitor- nice heavy slide to lock everything in and feel solid, but very flexible and even across the range. Great horn.

2. Bach:

50A3 was a really good bass. Quick response, felt nice and big, good feedback, kind of no big downsides. Honestly the first of the kind that I felt I could actually work with for a while. Very happy about that one. It looked like they had perhaps fixed the install issue that's been in place for the last decade+, as well.

50AF3G was ok. Last year they brought a yellow bell 50AF3 that was the best bass at the show, by far (including all the Greenhoes and Shires and Edwards). This year it was not a contender. Good horn, wasn't nearly as bad as some 50AF3s I have played, but just a much, much slower response than the 50A3 and many of the other basses. Not sure if it was the heavier gold bell doing its thing.

42BOF is a great instrument- the best 42 with a rotor that they have ever made. This one was much the same, very even, nice and open, big Bach sound. If you want a 42 and don't like the weird shaped valves, get one of these after playing a couple to find the right one.

42AG was also a really solid horn... I feel like the 42A has been the best stock 42 for a while, this didn't change my mind much.

LT16M at the show was GREAT. Last year the same model was nothing special... don't even remember playing it really. This one was awesome, I would have bought it if I could have. Flexible, easy, everything I want in a small Bach.

3B (is made Conn Selmer, don't worry!) was ok. Mine is better! The 2B at the show was great, just can't deal with the smaller horns as well.

3. Adams

They had several tenors. They offer a Hagmann and Meinlschmidt option (much the same as Bach, funnily enough), as well as a ton of slide, crook, tuning slide, and bell options. The best horn was a nickel slide (with oversleeves), Hagmann, red tuning slide, yellow bell. Perhaps my favorite large tenor of the show. Easy to play, great attacks, response, low range, you name it. Felt very well built. The others were ok (red bell with nickel flare, sterling bell, both with Meinls).

The new bass (there are only 6 so far) was ok. I think it's built in a very European style... large bell, Hagmanns, looked to be Edwards sized after the valves. The bell was heavy as well. It played ok, but really isn't my cup of tea.

One thing to note about the trombones... they are very, very cheap. A tenor with a normal-alloy bell (not sterling!) and Meinlschmidt is $3600. This is with every tapered part built as seamed tubing by hand, great valves, and all the options you want. Even the Hagmann option only brings the price to $4200. I'm not sure what this is all about, since the Adams euphoniums and tubas are crazy expensive.

The euphoniums, as per usual, are amazing. Nothing to see here.

4. Shires:

Q series. These are a quandary. They shouldn't be good. China is bad! And yet, as per usual, they are silly good. Really good. There was a gold bell bass with rotors that was one of the best at the show. I will say that I think the variability is definitely higher on these horns... more of the time they are not going to be as good. Try before you buy. But even then, they are annoyingly good.

New Shires Alessi is a good horn. Very much in the Edwards camp as opposed to the typical Shires... Not bad, just different. I would play one if you gave it to me for free and have no problem with it. The Q series version was actually very different, but I liked it as well.

Colin Williams horn felt very tight... didn't dig it at all.

Now for the star of the show... the George Curran model bass. According to Shires, it has a custom BII flare and lightweight axials (not sure what those entail- someone can fill me in). Otherwise it's just a dual bore slide and C tuning slide, all yellow, and the B2 leadpipe. And yet this is one of the best bass trombones I have ever played. Even, sure footed, big sound, quick to respond in all registers, in tune, the whole shebang. It's not often I feel like I could approach the level of the top players in the world, but playing that horn made it seem about 50% closer than my typical day. Take the hyperbole as you will, but I thought long and hard about going into a little debt for this particular instrument.

the Q Series Euphonium has arrived! Actually, two. One is a Willson style, a bit smaller, and one is a Besson style with the 12 inch bell. If you weren't annoyed by the Q series yet, then you can start now. These were some of the best, most in-tune euphoniums I have ever played. I own a Yamaha 842, and have played the Willsons, Bessons, Adams E1, E2, E3, all the Chinese stuff, Miraphone, Hirsbrunner, Stirling, York, you name it. These might just take the cake.

If you hadn't heard... Q Series Contrabass (in F) coming in 2020.

5. Greenhoe

Some really great horns. I'll lump the tenors in as one unit... I don't like them much. I have a friend, also on the forum here, with a really nice Bach style tenor that is great. I can't remember playing another Greenhoe that made me feel the same way. Meh.

The basses, though, are really great. I've played a good amount of the old Greenhoes, so I feel like I can compare them to the new ones. Personally, I find the new horns stack up just fine, and in some cases are just better.

My favorite was a Bach style, all yellow with gold valve tubing. This was a solid runner up for best bass at the show for me. Very even, fun to play, great valve feel. Just a bit harder to play than the Shires, as well as missing the magic response and slot above the staff the Shires had. I'd be perfectly happy with this instrument.

The other basses are all good, but dependent is quite useless to me at this point, and TIS horns just aren't me.

I did, however, get to play Bob Sanders' personal Greenhoe- all red brass, TIS, dependent. What a crazy horn! Instant response, great big sound, lots of color. If I could deal with dependent it would be great. I didn't think all red would work like that, but it really does.

6. BAC

My friend Dan had his BAC modified Bach 12 at the booth. I'll just say that if I had a 12 like that, I wouldn't be looking for a 16M. What a great horn! Instant response, slots up to high F, Bach sound, everything I want out of a big band horn.

Reggie Chapman's bass was there again, and I swear every year it plays better. I still don't like how it looks (it looks quite silly) but boy, it can play. If you can think the lick, you can play it on this horn, as evidenced by Reggie's playing.

His bass trumpet was also in attendance, fun horn. Awkward ergonomics.

7. Edwards

New B502 was ok. The valves play better for me than the Rotax ever did, very happy about that. The throw on the 2nd valve was very long... not sure if the geometry is still being worked on. I found it to be overall fine, but the sound just isn't there like it is on some of the other horns. Keep in mind that I didn't like the previous B502 much, and I don't play the same mouthpiece as Markey.

New 396 was good. Didn't get a lot of time on it, it largely felt like the old one to me, which is one of my favorite large tenors. I'd play one.

Toby Oft model was ok. Didn't stand out to me in any way, much like the average T350.

8. I'm sure I played other things at the show, but I didn't take notes the first day. Oops. May update this if I remember.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Bach5G

Re: NAMM Report 2020

Post by Bach5G »

Thanks Aidan. Nice report.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Nice. Thanks! Seems to fit with my experiences recently

When I was at ATW, I tried the Courtois line and was underwhelmed by everything they gave to me.... They wouldn't understand that I thought the slide grip for the left hand was crazy small. But if you watch that same rep demo it on YouTube, he has to hold it with a modified grip, because.... it's too damn small.

I also thought that the Greenhoe lineup felt like the best built horns ever. But I walked away after playing all of them. Meh...

New king 3Bs rock!

The shires yellow alto is the best ever made...
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

harrisonreed wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:26 pm Nice. Thanks! Seems to fit with my experiences recently

When I was at ATW, I tried the Courtois line and was underwhelmed by everything they gave to me.... They wouldn't understand that I thought the slide grip for the left hand was crazy small. But if you watch that same rep demo it on YouTube, he has to hold it with a modified grip, because.... it's too damn small.

I also thought that the Greenhoe lineup felt like the best built horns ever. But I walked away after playing all of them. Meh...

New king 3Bs rock!

You're talking about the curved grip? I don't like it either, I'd prefer to do something myself to make the horn comfortable than have something dumb built in (cough cough King pointer finger ring).

Thankfully I don't play alto so no impressions there.
mrdeacon

Post by mrdeacon »

You have the same opinion of the Q series Euphs I had. They are really fantastic. Partials line up and they have a really nice response.
Rath R1 2000s, Elliott XT
Bach 42 1974, Elliott XT
Holton 169 1965, Elliott LB
Minick Bass Trombone 1980s, Elliott LB
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Burgerbob wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:42 pm
harrisonreed wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:26 pm Nice. Thanks! Seems to fit with my experiences recently

New king 3Bs rock!

You're talking about the curved grip? I don't like it either, I'd prefer to do something myself to make the horn comfortable than have something dumb built in (cough cough King pointer finger ring).

Thankfully I don't play alto so no impressions there.
Their tenors actually. The cork barrel is about 1.5 inches long...

No curved brace.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Hmm. I didn't notice. I have small hands, might be why.
castrubone

Post by castrubone »

Good stuff Aidan! TromboneChat's field reporter. Do you remember what felt different about the Q Alessi vs. the full custom? They're technically the same specs right?
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

They are quite different. Different valves, wrap, and some materials.
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

Thanks Aidan. The Greenhoe dependents have me curious. The Bob Sanders horn has me really curious. Wondering if there are any 1 and 1/2G players who played any basses. So many instruments are developed with big mouthpieces in mind.
castrubone

Post by castrubone »

Burgerbob wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:50 am They are quite different. Different valves, wrap, and some materials.
Ohh, didn’t know that. That certainly explains the difference in feel. Shires website makes them sound almost identical.
Last edited by castrubone on Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

WGWTR180 wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:52 am Thanks Aidan. The Greenhoe dependents have me curious. The Bob Sanders horn has me really curious. Wondering if there are any 1 and 1/2G players who played any basses. So many instruments are developed with big mouthpieces in mind.

You're right. Most of what I played worked really well with my GB... Better than my horn, actually.

Bob plays a bigger mouthpiece than I do, so his may be a bit strange with something smaller. I'm sure a leadpipe change would help it. If you're on the fence about them, go play them somewhere... They are really, really good horns.
ZacharyThornton

Post by ZacharyThornton »

I am finding out more and more that Greg’s mouthpieces work a little different on Edwards. I have my mouthpiece from Greg dialed in for rotors so I can get it to work, but I plug in a GP or something and it is much easier to play. And I can’t get a good sound out of the B454 on my mouthpiece from Greg. I really think his designs inherently work great on Shires and less so on Edwards. YMMV
castrubone

Post by castrubone »

ZacharyThornton wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:16 am I am finding out more and more that Greg’s mouthpieces work a little different on Edwards. I have my mouthpiece from Greg dialed in for rotors so I can get it to work, but I plug in a GP or something and it is much easier to play. And I can’t get a good sound out of the B454 on my mouthpiece from Greg. I really think his designs inherently work great on Shires and less so on Edwards. YMMV
Agreed. The same holds true on tenors. I feel like Hammond, Griego and Schilke work pretty well on most big brands, but GB either works really really well or not so much.
Bassbonechandler

Post by Bassbonechandler »

castrubone wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:39 am
ZacharyThornton wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:16 am I am finding out more and more that Greg’s mouthpieces work a little different on Edwards. I have my mouthpiece from Greg dialed in for rotors so I can get it to work, but I plug in a GP or something and it is much easier to play. And I can’t get a good sound out of the B454 on my mouthpiece from Greg. I really think his designs inherently work great on Shires and less so on Edwards. YMMV
Agreed. The same holds true on tenors. I feel like Hammond, Griego and Schilke work pretty well on most big brands, but GB either works really really well or not so much.
What about GB and greenhoe? Does it depend on bach vs conn style greenhoes?
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Bassbonechandler wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:03 am
castrubone wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:39 am

What about GB and greenhoe? Does it depend on bach vs conn style greenhoes?
I found it to work on all the greenhoes just fine.
paulyg

Post by paulyg »

5. Greenhoe

Some really great horns. I'll lump the tenors in as one unit... I don't like them much. I have a friend, also on the forum here, with a really nice Bach style tenor that is great. I can't remember playing another Greenhoe that made me feel the same way. Meh.
Friend here (I think) :hi: . IMO the issues with the Greenhoe tenors are the stock leadpipes. Every single leadpipe I've dropped in played objectively better than either of the stock pipes. Leadpipe choice also affects these horns A LOT, moreso than most other instruments I've played. Right now I've got a Brassark Seamed Copper MV42 in it (tight), but it played great with an Edwards T3 (very open) as well. Unless they changed something, the slides will also take edwards-threaded pipes no problem.
Paul Gilles
Aerospace Engineer & Trombone Player
heinzgries

Post by heinzgries »

Great posting, thanks. Something news about alto trombones?
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Someone that plays alto would have to clue you in.

A good player friend said the Adams alto was quite good.
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

Burgerbob wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:38 pm Someone that plays alto would have to clue you in.

A good player friend said the Adams alto was quite good.
What is interesting is that the Adams alto is about $3k and the tenor, which takes a lot more metal and time to build with a vale, is only $600 more If if was look for a new tenor, that Adams looks like a great deal.
mrdeacon

Post by mrdeacon »

WGWTR180 wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:52 am Thanks Aidan. The Greenhoe dependents have me curious. The Bob Sanders horn has me really curious. Wondering if there are any 1 and 1/2G players who played any basses. So many instruments are developed with big mouthpieces in mind.
Those horns play great with 1.5 and 2 sized mouthpieces. Worked well with my Symingtons at least.

I know in another thread you mentioned not liking those larger valves though.... you might not like the Greenhoes or M&W style horns because of that. I find the dependent at least... to be a bit more traditional if that makes any sense.

That Bob Sanders bass is a beast though. They put a little extra care and juju magic into that one.
Bach 42 1974, Elliott XT
GabrielRice

Post by GabrielRice »

To answer your question about the George Curran model Shires, the axial section is lightweight by virtue of having shorter valve slides so there is less overlapping tubing and also no cross braces on the valve slides.

The bell is a BII 7Y with an annealing treatment. Slide is a standard dual bore - B62-78 - as far as I know.
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

mrdeacon wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:03 pm
Those horns play great with 1.5 and 2 sized mouthpieces. Worked well with my Symingtons at least.

I know in another thread you mentioned not liking those larger valves though.... you might not like the Greenhoes or M&W style horns because of that. I find the dependent at least... to be a bit more traditional if that makes any sense.

That Bob Sanders bass is a beast though. They put a little extra care and juju magic into that one.
Thanks for the feedback Mr Deacon. I'm definitely not a fan of Thayer valves and do prefer rotary valves in general. I owned a Greenhoe Bach conversion many years ago and should've never sold it, big regret, but I had the opportunity to play a new Greenhoe Conn style instrument last year and I really liked it.
So I'd be interested in checking out some current examples for sure.

Anyone have any photos of the Bob Sanders instrument?
Bassbonechandler

Post by Bassbonechandler »

WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

Thank you.
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

Aidan, there was one company there with a bunch of compact tubas and euphoniums. You didn't happen to try one, did you? I noodled around on one of the euphs and it was surprisingly playable.
mrdeacon wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:03 pmThat Bob Sanders bass is a beast though. They put a little extra care and juju magic into that one.
You talkin' 'bout Bob or the trombone?
(Those of you who have met the rather imposing Mr. Sanders will know what I mean)
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

JohnL wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:44 am Aidan, there was one company there with a bunch of compact tubas and euphoniums. You didn't happen to try one, did you? I noodled around on one of the euphs and it was surprisingly playable.
mrdeacon wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:03 pmThat Bob Sanders bass is a beast though. They put a little extra care and juju magic into that one.
You talkin' 'bout Bob or the trombone?
(Those of you who have met the rather imposing Mr. Sanders will know what I mean)
I missed the Chinese side of the hall completely this time around. Just too pressed for time.

I will say that the show was much more interesting than last year... I don't think there was a single new instrument other than the Q series in 2019.
Finetales

Post by Finetales »

Nice write up. The combination of spending most of my NAMM time running around helping prepare for the performance I was in Saturday night and spending much of the remaining time trying out the metric ton of new synthesizer releases at the show meant I didn't get to play nearly as many brass instruments as you did, but I still played a good bit including some you didn't.
JohnL wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:44 am Aidan, there was one company there with a bunch of compact tubas and euphoniums. You didn't happen to try one, did you? I noodled around on one of the euphs and it was surprisingly playable.
ZO is the company name, and I tried the travel euphonium and travel C tuba. The travel euph was very good...a euph with rotors took a while to acclimate to and obviously it being non-compensating makes it a little more limiting, but that thing was so incredibly small and would be an amazing travel instrument for the loaded euph specialist. But the C tuba...absolutely amazing. Now I don't claim to be a great tuba player but I'm proficient enough and it's rare that I play a tuba that I enjoy. This one I didn't want to stop playing...great response, good intonation, and an inexplicably broad, full sound. Lots of fun and really practical for someone like me who doesn't have a lot of space and only ever gets called to play tuba on recording sessions where the small bell is perfect for micing. Unless I can come into a really good deal on a Wessex Cavalry compensating Eb I think one of these (probably the Bb one, but who knows?) will be the first tuba I buy when I need one again. I can't recommend it enough.

I spent a lot of time at the DeCarbo booth, mostly trying out trumpet mouthpieces (and eventually walking out with one). But I ended up playing their .508 trombone at my performance (mostly because somebody screwed up my 3B slide by being careless on stage before the show, but also because the reps came out to the show specifically to give me the option of playing it) and it was solid. Definitely not making either of my 3Bs at all worried about being replaced, but it performed well and that carbon slide is addicting to play on.

That Courtois Xtreme .508 is indeed a great 3B competitor. I played both the yellow and rose bell models extensively at NAMM 2019 and the designer was there. He told me he modeled it after his own 3B and it definitely plays like it. I couldn't decide if I liked the yellow or rose better...both were great.

I should've played the Q series instruments...sad that I missed those. However, the Eastman ETB848 bass trombone below the Q series is phenomenal. I tried one for the first time at ITF one year and after picking it up without looking at what it was I seriously thought it was a Shires until a rep came over and told me what I was playing. If I needed to buy a new bass tomorrow I'd order one of those without hesitation. With that instrument in mind, I optimistically tried some of the Eastman euphoniums...they weren't great. I did enjoy one of the Eastman Kruspe double horns though. Enjoyed the Geyers less, but I enjoy Geyers less in general so no surprise there.

For me the Besson Sovereign was the best euphonium that I tried. It was so easy to play and sounded lovely as all Bessons do. My favorite euphs are Willsons for the velvety sound they have but the Bessons are so much fun to play. I was surprised to find that I didn't enjoy any of the Adams euphs, at least compared to the Besson. And I REALLY didn't enjoy the Adams bass trombone or silver-belled large tenor that I tried. They felt dead and hard to play. But it seems by your review that I played the wrong tenor.

Now for the high brass nonsense for anyone who cares. The Besson Prestige cornet was the best cornet that I tried...nothing else (Adams, Stomvi) came close. Not a surprise. All of the B&S trumpets played great. I picked a couple of Bach Strad Bbs at random (a commercial one and a normal 37 with the 72 bell) and they played great too. I usually don't like the feel of Bach trumpets either. The Stomvi 4-valve C cornet was addicting, and the Stomvi Master Eb and Bb were nice too. The Stomvi corno da caccia was cool to get to play but I thought it kinda sucked. Syhre or bust! Adams A1 and A7 trumpets were fine, didn't stick out to me though.

That's about all I had time to try brasswise...hopefully next year I have more time.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

I forgot I played the Sovereign! I quite liked it as well. I really love those new Bessons, they are great... the Prestige at the show last year was my favorite instrument.
mrdeacon

Post by mrdeacon »

Finetales wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:58 pm I should've played the Q series instruments...sad that I missed those. However, the Eastman ETB848 bass trombone below the Q series is phenomenal. I tried one for the first time at ITF one year and after picking it up without looking at what it was I seriously thought it was a Shires until a rep came over and told me what I was playing. If I needed to buy a new bass tomorrow I'd order one of those without hesitation. With that instrument in mind, I optimistically tried some of the Eastman euphoniums...they weren't great. I did enjoy one of the Eastman Kruspe double horns though. Enjoyed the Geyers less, but I enjoy Geyers less in general so no surprise there.
What's weird is the Q series Euphs just flat our play better than the Eastman Euphs. Similar price point and made from the same people... But wow! The Q series is great. You really should have tried them!
Bach 42 1974, Elliott XT

Return to “Instruments”