need info on my Conn 88HCL

KennyPowers

need info on my Conn 88HCL

Post by KennyPowers »

I used to be a decent trombone player back in high school and early college. That was way back in 1998-2006. I completely lost interest and haven't touched it since. So, I have a very nice horn that has been sitting safely in a closet for the last 14 years. What a waste...I want someone to have it that will use and enjoy it. I plan on listing it for sale here at a good, sell-it-quickly price rather than sticking it on eBay, since I think it's more likely to find a good home that way. Before I do that though, I want to know exactly what it is I have...specifically some of the things that were configurable (bore size, etc).

Here are a bunch of pictures of the horn and various accessories that I'd probably sell with it, showing every minor cosmetic blemish I could find on it. I believe this is what they were calling a "rose brass" bell at the time? What are the bore size(s) though? That scribbling on the installed valve cover is Christian Lindberg's signature which I got when I met him in 2002 at the International Trombone Festival at the University of North Texas. The signature was lacquered over to prevent smudging, and I have a 2nd valve cover if the new owner found the signature ugly. I recently bathed/cleaned/lubed the horn and everything operates smoothly. The main slide and both tuning slides move freely, and all of the rubber parts seem to be in good condition. Basically, it seems to be in perfect, playable condition...the terrible sounds it made when I played it just now are purely due to me being 14 years out-of-practice :lol: According to old insurance policy info, the serial # is 817094. I couldn't find the serial number on the horn itself (where is it?).

Also, I'm sure some of you may try to talk me out of selling it, and I appreciate that, but I really am done. I've long since moved on to other hobbies and interests, and am 100% confident that I will never regret selling this horn.

So, what additional information should I have available before listing this for sale? Should I list some of those accessories seperately, or all together? As far as price, ballpark suggestions are welcome. I don't want to outright give it away, but I do want to sell it quickly.
Burgerbob

Re: need info on my Conn 88HCL

Post by Burgerbob »

Assuming you got the standard horn and not a custom slide, it's a .547 large tenor. Red brass bell.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Thrawn22

Post by Thrawn22 »

Ill give you 50 bucks cash for the horn.
6H (K series)
6H (early 60s)
4H/5H custom bell
78H ('53)
78H (K series)
78H/36BG /2547 slide
8H
88HN
71H (dependant valves)
72H
35H alto (K series)
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

It's probably worth $1200-1500 if it's a really good horn, otherwise it's more likely to be $800-1000. Depends on who's selling it -- Noah Gladstone saying that it's worth $1800 means a lot more than a classified ad saying it's worth that much. He'll do a consignment, but then you won't be getting your full amount.
KennyPowers

Post by KennyPowers »

Burgerbob wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:15 pm Assuming you got the standard horn and not a custom slide, it's a .547 large tenor. Red brass bell.
Thank you! It was not a custom slide.
castrubone

Post by castrubone »

Based off of those pictures I wouldn't settle for less than $1500. I've never seen a used Conn 88HCL for less than $1000 in the states, even a beat up one. The market for these horns is usually in the mid thousands. A store would probably sell that horn for $2000. You could maybe find a beat up old 1970's 88H for $800 somewhere, but Conn's generally hold their value much better than that. Don't sell yourself short.
KennyPowers

Post by KennyPowers »

harrisonreed wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:18 pm It's probably worth $1200-1500 if it's a really good horn, otherwise it's more likely to be $800-1000. Depends on who's selling it -- Noah Gladstone saying that it's worth $1800 means a lot more than a classified ad saying it's worth that much. He'll do a consignment, but then you won't be getting your full amount.
Oh I know that a newcomer like myself's opinion on the internet isn't worth the paper it's not printed on :lol: Any potential buyer near Pittsburgh, PA is welcome to play it and check it out in-person though. I actually posted about this horn on The Trombone Forum a few years ago before it vanished from the internet. I'd since forgotten much of what I was told there, but I do remember people suggesting I ask $1500-$2000 for it at the time. I know this horn can currently be had for around $3500-$4000 new, so asking less than half of new sounded like a good idea to me. I also think I remember someone suggesting I sell the "resistance balancers" seperately, since they're apparently no longer made and there are people out there who want them. I never used them myself though and parting stuff out sounds like a hassle.

Noah Gladstone's consignment fees don't look outrageous...maybe I'll contact him and see what he thinks too. :good:
KennyPowers

Post by KennyPowers »

Thanks for the responses everyone...I just consigned this horn at a local shop. I spoke with a few sellers, including Mr. Gladstone, and all had similar fees and expected values for the horn, so I naturally went with the place 30 minutes from my house instead of paying to ship it off somewhere. I did feel a strange sadness driving away without it knowing I might never see it again, but it's better-off with someone who will actually use it instead of being a wasted memento sitting in my closet. That horn took me all the way through high school, around Europe for a month, and into college...maybe it will do the same for someone else now.

Return to “Instruments”