Reviews of Kanstul 1570?

alberttrombone

Reviews of Kanstul 1570?

Post by alberttrombone »

Hello everybody,

Any opinions or reviews of the model Kanstul 1570?
Somebody told me that is comparable with the Conn 88H...?

Thanks!
JBone

Re: Reviews of Kanstul 1570?

Post by JBone »

They were probably thinking of the 1588 rather than the 1570, which is very much a horn in the Bach tradition (yellow brass bell, bass crook slide).

I've never owned one, but I've tried them out in the shop numerous times and was seriously considering purchasing one back in the day. I found it very easy to play, with a broad sound and easy articulations (relative to my 88H against which I was comparing it), and a good slide.

That said... I only ever tried it out in the store (I was strongly considering making a purchase but couldn't make the finances work), and the model with which I was intrigued was the Thayer-valve equipped one, which hasn't been produced for years. I think that I might have compared it against the more common CR-valve version, but the one that I remember positively is the one with a Thayer.
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

I have one, and have played on it for years now. The best way to describe the 1570 is a "Bach 42BO Light". The overall construction is somewhat similar, but it's definitely a lighter horn overall. I find it to be more responsive than my 42T, but it also doesn't have quite the volume capacity of the Bach 42, with the heavier gauge brass.

The 1570 has a wide "Bass crook" style outer slide, like the Bach 42, and most of the ones I have seen are all yellow brass. The only real difference is that the main tuning slide on a Kanstul 1570 is a dual radius and not single, but I did not find that to effect the horn that much.

The three removable leadpipes are quite nice, and I stuck with the BB, which is based off of a MV Bach 42. The MO is great for third and second trombone parts.

Also, the 1588 is definitely the horn that is modeled after the 88H, not the 1570, which is modeled after the 42. I have one of those too, if you are curious.

I also think the CR valve is one of the best "improved rotary" valves out there. I hope that someone starts producing them again.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
alberttrombone

Post by alberttrombone »

Thanks for the replies!

I'm a jazz / modern music player, I'm playing with a King 2B Jiggs Whigham now, but I need a horn with the f attachment to some works like musical theatre, lower recordings, and to have another option sound basically.

I found a Kanstul 1570 in a very good condition and price, but it far from where I live and it's difficult to try it...

Do you think that 1570 is a good option for what I'm looking for?

Thanks!
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

alberttrombone wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:09 am Thanks for the replies!

I'm a jazz / modern music player, I'm playing with a King 2B Jiggs Whigham now, but I need a horn with the f attachment to some works like musical theatre, lower recordings, and to have another option sound basically.

I found a Kanstul 1570 in a very good condition and price, but it far from where I live and it's difficult to try it...

Thanks!
It could be, though it's a bit of a BIG jump from a 2B to there in terms of size, air consumption, etc. If you use an "efficient" mouthpiece it could work, but personally I'd go with a .525 bore horn or maybe a 3B-F for musical theater.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
JLivi

Post by JLivi »

alberttrombone wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:09 am

Thanks!
I’ve never tried the Kanstul tenors, but I own the bass bone 1585. Personally, I love Kanstul horns. A buddy of mine has a 1606 and that plus great too!

I’m not sure what price you’re getting the 1570 for, but my guess is that you can find an 88h(o) or a Bach 42 for cheap. Whether it’s in the classifieds or on eBay. In the last year I’ve probably bought 4-5 of those horns for $700-800.

If time is not in your favor just buy the 1570 and resell it if you need to. When something else comes along.

I should also mention though, for musicals, I would recommend a medium bore with a valve. I’m sure you can find a Bach 36 pretty easily.

Not super helpful, I know! :-)

Good luck!
King 2b+
King 3b
King 3b(f)
Conn 79h
Kanstul 1585
Olds O-21 Marching Trombone (Flugabone)
alberttrombone

Post by alberttrombone »

It seems that the horn I was interested in has red rot... so surely it isn't worthy.

Thanks for all the responses!!

Return to “Instruments”