New Axe Help!

trambonetim11

New Axe Help!

Post by trambonetim11 »

Hey all!
I am in the market for a new axe and am looking for advice. I mostly play lead in the Army Band. Brass band, swing band, and solo jazz is what I mostly play. For concert and orchestral playing I use a Bach 42 that the army gives me so I am looking for a pea shooter. I want the ease of a small bore but something a bit more versatile... kind of a do all horn with a larger bore. I have narrowed it down to a Edwards T302, Shores Michael Davis plus, and a BAC paseo... any help would be awesome!
paulyg

Re: New Axe Help!

Post by paulyg »

King 3B
Paul Gilles
Aerospace Engineer & Trombone Player
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

How have you narrowed it down to those options?
Pre59

Post by Pre59 »

"Pea Shooter"...
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Hey, Tim!

Get a 3B!
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

The 3b and the Shires MD+ are both great horns. Also the Yamaha 891. Of the three, I prefer the Shires, although it's hard to go wrong with any of them. The Shires was more versatile and more neutral in my opinion.
Trevorspaulding376

Post by Trevorspaulding376 »

T302 or paseo
johntarr

Post by johntarr »

Lawler model one or two, seriously.
afugate

Post by afugate »

3BF or Yamaha 356.

--Andy in OKC
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

If I had spare bread I'd buy an MD or MD+ with an F attachment today. Those are killer horns, at least for me. And a little bit of a departure from the normal Shires setups which often lean a little bit on the larger side.
Mv2541

Post by Mv2541 »

Matt K wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:27 pm If I had spare bread I'd buy an MD or MD+ with an F attachment today. Those are killer horns, at least for me. And a little bit of a departure from the normal Shires setups which often lean a little bit on the larger side.
I think the 1.5 tuning slide helps make the small bores play more normal. The no marking tuning slides are huge! (And I think the MD and plus have the 1.5 tuning slides)
Software Developer/Educator
JP Rath 236 - XT L101 C+/AS
Bach LT16M - XT L101 C+/D3
Bach 36BO - XT L101 E/E4
Edwards T396 - XT L101 F+/G8
Courtois 502 - LB L114 L/L8
bkessler

Post by bkessler »

I realize it's not in your list, but do take a look at Lawler as well. I've never played a small bore that I've been happier with, and the multiple flares are great for versatility. I specifically got a .508 with two flares that are really different in character so that I could have maximum versatility in sound.
ssking2b

Post by ssking2b »

Try The new XO 1634. Designed by Fedchock as a .508 bore horn. Easily the equal or better than the MD+ Shires, and a much better price!
===============================================
XO Brass Artist - http://www.pjonestrombone.com
===============================================
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Mv2541 wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:40 pm
Matt K wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:27 pm If I had spare bread I'd buy an MD or MD+ with an F attachment today. Those are killer horns, at least for me. And a little bit of a departure from the normal Shires setups which often lean a little bit on the larger side.
I think the 1.5 tuning slide helps make the small bores play more normal. The no marking tuning slides are huge! (And I think the MD and plus have the 1.5 tuning slides)
Yeah that's likely it. Normally I actually like the larger size... I've been playing a 356 or a 646 for most of my commercial stuff other than lead. I have a slightly unorthodox setup though with a pretty shallow piece for that but I've never had a problem being bright. Quite the contrary :lol: But the MD+ really straddles that line nicely for me where it's not too bright but its still small enough to be more efficient than just about anything I've played. Really good work on the R&D for that one.
TromboneSam

Post by TromboneSam »

+1 for the 3B! It’s my main horn for all my work. It’s also all I use in my Army Band’s small ensembles. If my commander wants a bigger sound for concert band I play my 8H, and you already have that covered with your 42.

Return to “Instruments”