Innovations in Trombones... (and other brass)

JohnL

Re: Innovations in Trombones... (and other brass)

Post by JohnL »

Posaunus wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:35 amI think I might get dizzy moving my bell into and out of the plunger while trying to create some of the wah-wah effects often written into big band charts.
As long as the composer/arranger managed to avoid writing plunger parts down into the trigger register, you can just use a normal plunger.

I used a plunger-on-a-stand for a concert last year; the biggest issue I ran into was that the orchestra was kinda crowded so I had to be careful not to bump my slide on something.
sungfw

Post by sungfw »

Posaunus wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:35 am But can you get a true plunger result with this setup? I think I might get dizzy moving my bell into and out of the plunger while trying to create some of the wah-wah effects often written into big band charts.
With practice, you can produce a (semi-)reasonable facsimile by twisting your horn side-to-side.
I'm not sure how classy a full set (4) of these would look on the bandstand at a wedding reception or gala ball! :idk:
Beats this:

[Pro tip: spray paint the handle glossy black. People who don't look closely will assume it's a mic boom.]
Bloo

Post by Bloo »

Seen the mnozil brass tuba player? he sometimes has a mute that drops in and out of his tuba that he actuates via a lever near his valve section. something similar could work for a bass trombone setup with a plunger on a hinge. It'd be heavy as all hell, though.

I've been thinking of designing a brace for your left or right shoulder allowing you to play trombone with one arm. Good for accessibility and for intense manipulation of the mute.
I'm partial to vintage Conn horns, and new Getzens.

Return to “Instruments”