Duo Gravis ergonomics

bigbandbone

Duo Gravis ergonomics

Post by bigbandbone »

I'm trailing a Duo Gravis that I'm thinking about buying. It has the original stacked triggers. I'm finding the left hand ergonomics uncomfortable. When I depress the F trigger my thumb hits the brace before the trigger is fully depressed. Also I have to do a shift with my hand to press the D trigger.
Can anything be done to make it more comfortable? I would not want to split the triggers.

The horn really plays well. Much different than my 72H. And twice as heavy!
2bobone

Re: Duo Gravis ergonomics

Post by 2bobone »

Set the valve stringing so that the bottom paddle is well behind the bell brace and so that it is even with the bell brace when depressed. Press that paddle without bending your thumb. Then, a simple bending of your thumb at the first joint can easily activate the upper paddle without re-positioning your hand. A thin rubber pad added to the lower paddle can help immensely. I secured mine with electrical "shrink wrap" tubing. It's worked perfectly since I bought my DG/SS in the 70's.
HawaiiTromboneGuy

Post by HawaiiTromboneGuy »

Do you have large hands? For me, I have smaller hands being Asian so all I really need to do is pivot the upper part of my thumb down to engage that second valve. I can use the lower part of my thumb to engage the first valve/trigger without interference.
Drew A.
Professional bum.
RichC

Post by RichC »

A 'stick on' felt pad, trimmed to size on the paddle worked for me. Easy and cheap.
bigbandbone

Post by bigbandbone »

RichC wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:35 pm A 'stick on' felt pad, trimmed to size on the paddle worked for me. Easy and cheap.
Thanks for this idea! I built the triggers up with peel and stick cork. Also, the Yamaha Strap helps, but the finger ring is in the way a little. If I end up buying this axe I'll probably switch to a Neo Tech.
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

Everybody is different. I had no trouble when I demo'ed a DG, but had to get a Neogrip for the 7B I bought instead.
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing! :D
Greg Songer
King 606, King 3B-F: DE LT101/LTD/D3
King 4B-F: Bach 5G Megatone gold plated
King 2107 bass: DE MB109/MB J/J8 King
bigbandbone

Post by bigbandbone »

Here's what I've come up with. Thanks to an idea from RichC I put the self stick cork on the trigger paddles. Then I added the Yamaha Strap but was still uncomfortable so then added the Wise Grip under the Yamaha Strap.
Using this set up changed this Duo Gravis from a horn I wasn't going to buy into a horn I hope to buy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
afugate

Post by afugate »

bigbandbone wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:41 am Here's what I've come up with. Thanks to an idea from RichC I put the self stick cork on the trigger paddles. Then I added the Yamaha Strap but was still uncomfortable so then added the Wise Grip under the Yamaha Strap.
Using this set up changed this Duo Gravis from a horn I wasn't going to buy into a horn I hope to buy.
I use a Wise grip on my Duo Gravis. I may try a strap at some point. But, I wonder if having it so high on the hand grip will eventually torque the slide out of alignment?

--Andy in OKC
bigbandbone

Post by bigbandbone »

afugate wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:45 am
bigbandbone wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:41 am Here's what I've come up with. Thanks to an idea from RichC I put the self stick cork on the trigger paddles. Then I added the Yamaha Strap but was still uncomfortable so then added the Wise Grip under the Yamaha Strap.
I use a Wise grip on my Duo Gravis. I may try a strap at some point. But, I wonder if having it so high on the hand grip will eventually torque the slide out of alignment?

--Andy in OKC
I thought about that too. But the finger ring is a very strong reinforcement against that type of torquing. If I buy this horn I might have a strap made with a loop large enough to fit over the finger ring and get the strap closer to the brace.

Return to “Instruments”