"Plays bigger than it is..." - questions

Reedman1

"Plays bigger than it is..." - questions

Post by Reedman1 »

Occasionally I read about a horn that "plays bigger than it is", which I think means that it tolerates high volumes or has a more resonant low register than is typical for its bore size. Is that right? What makes a horn play "bigger than it is"? Does the mouthpiece affect the "playing size" of a horn? Are there horns that "play smaller" than they are?
Fruitysloth

Re: "Plays bigger than it is..." - questions

Post by Fruitysloth »

To me, I feel that a horn plays smaller than it is when things are put together under stress or put together improperly, causing the horn to not resonate as it should. On the other end, not exactly opposite however, a horn plays bigger than it is when the horn sounds bigger than what I perceived it could.
Trombone Forum User "Jhungate96"
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

If 10 people respond to this, you'll likely have 15 answers to the question! The interpretation is that it plays like a horn of a bigger bore size. You'll hear this a lot about Shires horns in particular. E.g. some players find that their 508 horns play more like other 525 horns.

So really what this question is asking is, "What is the difference between bore sizes?" There can be a lot of overlap and so making something that is totally generalizable is really hard. But some common tendencies are that you'll have a 'darker' or more broad tone the larger you get, and a brighter or more piercing tone the smaller you get. You'll also likely find that larger instruments tend to "redline" more slowly. E.g if you were to play a very small horn, you would not need to be producing as much volume in order to sound loud whereas a larger horn might allow you to play very loud without "sounding" like it's playing that loud. It can also mean that it has a good low register as you indicated.

I find that the mouthpiece does affect the "playing size" of the horn; the most evident example of this for me is when I switch between small and large shank 525 horns. YMMV and it depends on what mouthpieces work best for you on a given horn.

I'd say that while it's possible to have a horn that "plays small", it seems that the corollary doesn't really exist and individual parts of the playing are indicated instead. E.g. that a horn is stuffy or inflexible rather than saying that it plays small. That said, the Duo Gravis probably would fit the bill for that description in that a lot of players find that if they were to use one, they'd use it exclusively for commercial work because of its brightness so I think you could make the argument that at least some people find that that model plays small.
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

Lots of things can affect that, making a horn feel bigger or smaller than similar size horns. Different parts of the horn have tapers or other sizes that are choices the designer and manufacturer make. The leadpipe, slide crook size and shape (single radius or dual radius, or assymetrical), neckpipe, tuning slide taper and shape, and bell taper and flare.

And the quality of assembly, and any possible leaks or badly fitting parts.

The same sorts of things apply to mouthpieces.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

One way I think of it is "sound per energy input," how much sound you expect to come out of the bell with the effort you put in.

Horns that play "the size they are" or maybe smaller: most student instruments. Designed that way on purpose, of course

Horns that play, by that scale, much larger: Bach 6

There's the other scale, which is how big a horn feels, bore-size-wise.

Again, student horns feel pretty small in general.

Horns that play bigger: Shires small bores usually show up here. Bach 6 again! I've also played a Selmer/Williams .485 that fit into both categories, uproariously loud and felt bigger than a 3B.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Neo Bri

Post by Neo Bri »

Burgerbob wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:38 pm uproariously loud and felt bigger than a 3B.
Uprouriously...LOVE IT!
Pre59

Post by Pre59 »

I think that horns with solderless rims play bigger, there's less "gak" on the attack when things get loud.
Thrawn22

Post by Thrawn22 »

Thats what she said!
6H (K series)
6H (early 60s)
4H/5H custom bell
78H ('53)
78H (K series)
78H/36BG /2547 slide
8H
88HN
71H (dependant valves)
72H
35H alto (K series)
baileyman

Post by baileyman »

Bach 6, biggest horn of all time.
Neo Bri

Post by Neo Bri »

baileyman wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:37 pm Bach 6, biggest horn of all time.
Don't know if that's sarcasm, but I can say that I have a Bach 6 Mt. Vernon and it's a very good horn!
Reedman1

Post by Reedman1 »

So- let me see if I understand this. Generally, a bigger bore is louder at lower partials than a smaller bore and therefore should have a more resonant low register, but certain variations in design and manufacture may emphasize lower or higher partials in any given bore size. A smaller bore horn sounds louder at lower volumes because it emphasizes higher partials, therefore is brighter and brightness seems louder; but its low register tends not to sound as full. A larger bore horn permits greater volume in sheer decibels without getting as bright. The mouthpiece can have a noticeable effect on both the timbre and the volume achievable on a given horn. And a gifted designer can make a really resonant, easy-blowing horn that seems to sound like a horn with a bigger bore. And of course, the player is the biggest factor. Do I have it about right? So with mouthpieces, what aspect tends to make a horn “grow” most - rim aperture, cup depth, cup contour, throat, bore?
biggiesmalls

Post by biggiesmalls »

FWIW, whenever I've compared two horns of the same make and model with different weight outer slides, the horn with the heavier outer slide almost always seemed to blow bigger and sound darker behind the bell. Maybe the heavier outers dampen the higher partials and reduce feedback to the chops?

Just one more factor to throw into the mix...
Last edited by biggiesmalls on Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

biggiesmalls wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:20 am FWIW, whenever I've compared two horns of the same make and model with different weight outer slides, the horn with the heavier outer slide almost always seems to blow bigger and sound darker behind the bell. Maybe the heavier outers dampen the higher partials and reduce feedback to the chops?

I've seen this effect "in spades" (for non-Pinochle players, spades are the highest ranked trump cards) with my TIS Conn 40H. Really plays big. I can see why Lewis Kahn loves his TIS Conns.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
PaulT

Post by PaulT »

I am not sure the phrase "plays bigger than it is" has any meaning at all (outside of subjective horn bragging). But, if it does, is it a good thing? I want my .525 to play and sound like a .525. I don't want it to play and sound like a .547, I already have .547.

Horns don't sound bigger than they are, they sound like what they are. Pick the sound you like. Make make the sound you want.
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

It is definitely a real thing. I don't like how small bore horns play, but I had a 24h (485 bore) that felt great. My friend has a NY 6 that plays/feels like a much larger horn. Those are "plays bigger than it is" in a good way.

I had a Shires 525 for a time and it played like a 547, which I thought was a bad thing. I wanted a lighter feel.

Its just about relative feel. You get used to what a 500 bore should feel like and compare other horns to that. It could be many factors as some have mentioned, but it's a definite real effect.
Last edited by hyperbolica on Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reedman1

Post by Reedman1 »

biggiesmalls wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:20 am FWIW, whenever I've compared two horns of the same make and model with different weight outer slides, the horn with the heavier outer slide almost always seemed to blow bigger and sound darker behind the bell. Maybe the heavier outers dampen the higher partials and reduce feedback to the chops?

Interesting observation. I wonder, though; I play a 2B with a Butler carbon fiber outer slide, and other than weight, it’s indistinguishable from the original brass outer. Well, speed, too. It’s easy to play fast.
Reedman1

Post by Reedman1 »

PaulT wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:42 pm I am not sure the phrase "plays bigger than it is" has any meaning at all (outside of subjective horn bragging). But, if it does, is it a good thing? I want my .525 to play and sound like a .525. I don't want it to play and sound like a .547, I already have .547.

Horns don't sound bigger than they are, they sound like what they are. Pick the sound you like. Make make the sound you want.
This is good. Thank you.
biggiesmalls

Post by biggiesmalls »

I've found that two different horns of the same bore size, which may sound very similar to a keen listener in front of the bell, may at the same time feel and sound like very different horns to the player behind the bell.

And the way a horn feels and sounds behind the bell can influence the way we express ourselves through the horn.

I may feel more comfortable on the horn that feels and sounds "bigger," or maybe more comfortable on the horn that feels and sounds "smaller." Either way, I will probably play more expressively and with more confidence with the horn that has the feel and sound I prefer from behind the bell.
Last edited by biggiesmalls on Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CheeseTray

Post by CheeseTray »

I think that for me, two things make a horn "play bigger than it is." 1. The instrument feels less resistant than I expect an instrument of that size/type to feel, & 2. The instrument feels and sounds much more resonant than I expect an instrument of its size to feel.
biggiesmalls

Post by biggiesmalls »

CheeseTray wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:05 pm I think that for me, two things make a horn "play bigger than it is." 1. The instrument feels less resistant than I expect an instrument of that size/type to feel, & 2. The instrument feels and sounds much more resonant than I expect an instrument of its size to feel.
+1
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

There's big and then there's fat. Get the difference???
Andre1966tr

Post by Andre1966tr »

No!
fwbassbone

Post by fwbassbone »

Many years ago I had a straight 36 that played like a 42. It was the "biggest" 36 I've every played. I don't know why but I wish I still had it. (loaned to a friend and it was stolen out of his car)
Reedman1

Post by Reedman1 »

WGWTR180 wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:34 am There's big and then there's fat. Get the difference???
You mean, “big boned?” No I don’t get the difference. Can you elaborate?
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

Reedman1 wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:14 pm
WGWTR180 wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:34 am There's big and then there's fat. Get the difference???
Well it's hard to describe-more like the "sound in your head" concept. BUT coupled with the right mouthpiece I feel that some horns can sound big, small, or fat. If I have an euphony I'll chime back in.
Reedman1

Post by Reedman1 »

WGWTR180 wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:17 am
Reedman1 wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:14 pm

Well it's hard to describe-more like the "sound in your head" concept. BUT coupled with the right mouthpiece I feel that some horns can sound big, small, or fat. If I have an euphony I'll chime back in.
I’m guessing that this points back more to the player than to horn...
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

Reedman1 wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:08 pm
WGWTR180 wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:17 am

Well isn't that technically always the case?
Reedman1

Post by Reedman1 »

WGWTR180 wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:56 am
Reedman1 wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:08 pm

It seems so. But my original question was about what makes certain instruments, in various people's opinions, "play bigger than they are". Do certain horns have ideal proportions, materials, workmanship that make them outstanding examples of their make and model, to the degree that either a player or a listener would be surprised at how great the sound was - independent of the player? I guess the answer has to be yes. Do certain makes/models stand out from the crowd similarly?
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Reedman1 wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:04 am
WGWTR180 wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:56 am
It seems so. But my original question was about what makes certain instruments, in various people's opinions, "play bigger than they are". Do certain horns have ideal proportions, materials, workmanship that make them outstanding examples of their make and model, to the degree that either a player or a listener would be surprised at how great the sound was - independent of the player? I guess the answer has to be yes. Do certain makes/models stand out from the crowd similarly?
"Plays bigger than it is" may not be better. As an extreme case, you don't want a small bore that sounds like a bass trombone. Some of the altos that sound like tenors may also be inappropriate at times.

If you are playing a situation that requires a smaller bore: lead in a big band for example, you don't want to sound like you are playing a symphonic tenor.

That said, heavier instruments seem to play "bigger". My TIS Conn 40H or my 1925 Olds TIS play bigger than they are. I'm sure it's the heavy slide with the TIS mechanism. But you will not mistake either one of them for a symphonic tenor.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Reedman1

Post by Reedman1 »

BGuttman wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:56 am
Reedman1 wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:04 am

"Plays bigger than it is" may not be better. As an extreme case, you don't want a small bore that sounds like a bass trombone. Some of the altos that sound like tenors may also be inappropriate at times.

If you are playing a situation that requires a smaller bore: lead in a big band for example, you don't want to sound like you are playing a symphonic tenor.

That said, heavier instruments seem to play "bigger". My TIS Conn 40H or my 1925 Olds TIS play bigger than they are. I'm sure it's the heavy slide with the TIS mechanism. But you will not mistake either one of them for a symphonic tenor.
This all seems kind of funny to me. For many years, I played reeds. You don't have a jazz clarinet, a symphony clarinet, a rock clarinet, a salsa clarinet, etc. You have one clarinet and you adapt your technique as necessary. Pretty much the same for sax, though you might actually change your mouthpiece. Brass seems to be more idiom-specific, in weird ways, and trombone seems to be more so than trumpet. Is it that brass breeds a collector's instinct? ;)
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Reedman1 wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:54 pm Is it that brass breeds a collector's instinct? ;)
It's know as TAS (Trombone Acquisition Syndrome) – or GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome).

Can be very contagious. Keep your distance! :roll:
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Reedman1 wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:54 pm Brass seems to be more idiom-specific, in weird ways, and trombone seems to be more so than trumpet.
That's not true. Trumpet players have many more trumpets than the average trombonist, and wouldn't ever cross-contaminate their legit and commercial horns.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher

Return to “Instruments”