Vintage Conn question

JohntheTheologian

Vintage Conn question

Post by JohntheTheologian »

As a vintage Conn small bore fan-- I own a 48H and played a 6H years ago-- I was wondering if anyone has had the opportunity to compare the 6H with the 77H.

I know that the 6H was listed as pro horn while the 77H was listed as an intermediate horn and the 77H has a slightly smaller -- 7.5 vs. 8 inch-- bell and less nickel trim, but has anyone had experience in how they play, i.e. what difference does the smaller bell make, how do the slides compare, etc?\

When I was in high school I played a 6H and a section mate played a 77H, but i never really compared the 2.
modelerdc

Re: Vintage Conn question

Post by modelerdc »

I have one of each and a 48H too. The 77H has a smaller 7.5 inch bell and does sound brighter than the 6H. For max volume I think the 6H is the more capable axe. But if you really want a bright, compact and clear tone the 77H may appeal. Bear in mind that 6Hs vary by vintage, and the late 50s 6H I have is one the dark side while ones made a decade or more later seem brighter as well. Just the same the 77H feels and blows a lot like the 6H but "lights up" at a lower dynamic level.
JohntheTheologian

Thanks for the info.

i honestly can't remember how bright my 6H-- vintage of around 1960-- really was. I just know that I was not aware at the time just how good a horn I had and I was rough on it. We had another section mate with a 6H and a couple with Coprion Directors-- I can't remember the model number for those right now 18H? We all blended pretty well with the guy with an Olds Super or Special-- can't remember exactly what it was, just that it was multi-colored like several of the small bore Olds were. No one played anything be small bores until one of the guys with a Director bought a large bore Holton, but he kept his Director for marching.
JohntheTheologian

BTW, how similar are the slide sections on the 6H and the 77H?
Trav1s

Post by Trav1s »

It's been a while since I played a 6H and a 77H. I had a Abilene 77H and sold it last summer. I do remember that the bell was heavier than the Elkhart 6H I tried. The 77H would take lots of air and held up pretty well.

I had another 77H/18H combo that I picked up cheap. It was not worth my playing time so I gave it away.
Travis B.
Trombone player since 1986 and Conn-vert since 2006
1961 24H - LT101/C+/D2
1969 79H - LT102/D/D4
1972 80H - Unicorn
Benge 165F LT102/F+/G8

Return to “Instruments”