Bach 42G serial number problem

Jose999

Bach 42G serial number problem

Post by Jose999 »

Hi folks, I have an old Vicent Bach 42G that I want to sell and I want to know the date the instrument is. The problem is the serial number of the slide is worn and I cannot see It.
(I think the number is 83376, but also can be 133376 or 33376)
In the rotor there are other number: 40732 but I don't know what is that number.
If someone knows in which years the 42g trombones were made and the meaning of the rotor number please let me know
hornbuilder

Re: Bach 42G serial number problem

Post by hornbuilder »

Bach bells don't have serial numbers. The number on the valve is a "batch" number, and as far as I'm aware, is not recorded anywhere as to what number valve went on what bell.

The outer slide also has the serial number stamped on the lower tube cork ring.

There are no "periods" where gold bells have been produced. They have always been regular production items.
Matthew Walker
Owner/Craftsman, M&W Custom Trombones, LLC, Jackson, Wisconsin.
Former Bass Trombonist, Opera Australia, 1991-2006
Slidemo

Post by Slidemo »

The bell engraving itself will narrow it down to one significant era of production.

Post a pic and the Bach aficionados here will be able to help you!

With a 5 digit serial # it's definitely 70's onwards.
elmsandr

Post by elmsandr »

As noted above, check the top ring on the outer slide. Unless something dumb has happened, it will have the same number from the handgrip area.

The valve numbers aren’t recorded anywhere, but at some point, they seemed to be advancing like the serial numbers. I wouldn’t be surprised if the horn were in the 133K range and not the 83K as you noted. I have not, however, really written any valve numbers down and paid a lot of attention to them. I had a 30Kish valve on a horn that was in the 110K range. Don’t have either anymore, so I would need to hunt down pictures to confirm.

Cheers,
Andy
Jose999

Post by Jose999 »

elmsandr wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:07 am As noted above, check the top ring on the outer slide. Unless something dumb has happened, it will have the same number from the handgrip area.

The valve numbers aren’t recorded anywhere, but at some point, they seemed to be advancing like the serial numbers. I wouldn’t be surprised if the horn were in the 133K range and not the 83K as you noted. I have not, however, really written any valve numbers down and paid a lot of attention to them. I had a 30Kish valve on a horn that was in the 110K range. Don’t have either anymore, so I would need to hunt down pictures to confirm.

Cheers,
Andy
Thanks! I didn't know the existence of the number in the top ring.
The serial number is 93376, so is from the 1990

Return to “Instruments”