King 2b Silversonic

thespookydude

King 2b Silversonic

Post by thespookydude »

First post!

I recently got the chance of trying out a 100th anniversary King 2B Silversonic, but I've noticed that the slide was brass coloured. If you search up 100th anniversary silversonics on google, the slides are silver coloured with brass at the end.

I've also noticed that it had "E 2401" on each bracing of the slide, which is not the usual place for pro model Kings (searched on google, and I have my own 3B).

I think the bell is legit, but does anyone know if the slide is legit or mismatched?
IMG-8068.JPG
InkedIMG-8071_LI.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BGuttman

Re: King 2b Silversonic

Post by BGuttman »

Looks like you might have a Tempo (1306) or 606 slide. Common to use these if the original slide is trashed.

How does it play?
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
hornbuilder

Post by hornbuilder »

The slide has tinted lacquer on it. You can see the underlying nickel silver where it has worn.
Matthew Walker
Owner/Craftsman, M&W Custom Trombones, LLC, Jackson, Wisconsin.
Former Bass Trombonist, Opera Australia, 1991-2006
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

Looks like the usual king "yellow" lacquer on that slide. They have changed the locations of the slide matching numbers over the years. I don't think the tempo and 606 have the same shape cork barrels.

Do you have a picture of the end bow of the slide? it should be brass, so even under the yellow lacquer, it'll look darker.

Still, when did the 100th anniversary horns come out? I seem to recall that at that time, King had moved past the yellow lacquer. Maybe it's an older slide, or maybe a Benge?
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
thespookydude

Post by thespookydude »

BGuttman wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:22 pm Looks like you might have a Tempo (1306) or 606 slide. Common to use these if the original slide is trashed.

How does it play?
The slide feels smooth to play. It definitely feels like a smaller bore compared to my 3B. I'm going to try out modern 2B to compare them.
thespookydude

Post by thespookydude »

tbonesullivan wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:53 am Looks like the usual king "yellow" lacquer on that slide. They have changed the locations of the slide matching numbers over the years. I don't think the tempo and 606 have the same shape cork barrels.

Do you have a picture of the end bow of the slide? it should be brass, so even under the yellow lacquer, it'll look darker.

Still, when did the 100th anniversary horns come out? I seem to recall that at that time, King had moved past the yellow lacquer. Maybe it's an older slide, or maybe a Benge?
When I searched up, the same exact model trombone on google images, it had the slide matching number in a different spot. It's this and the slide color is why I'm skeptical.
I also didn't take a good picture of the slide when I went to the store, so this is the best one I have.
unnamed.jpg
It does kind of look a little darker than the rest of the slide, but it might just be the lighting. I will definitely check it out again this week!

The 100th anniversary trombones were made in the '90s if I remember correctly.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
thespookydude

Post by thespookydude »

hornbuilder wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:15 pm The slide has tinted lacquer on it. You can see the underlying nickel silver where it has worn.
You're right, it could just be tinted lacquer. The rubber bumper and the water key look the same as the pictures I searched for the same 100th anniversary model.
thespookydude

Post by thespookydude »

I think I figured it out. It's a real 2B silversonic bell, but the slide is from a King 606.
I saw a picture on amazon of a King 606 with the same slide matching number placement.
Inked81Ly364W7EL._SL1500__LI.jpg
The color of the slide is also brass colored, so I think this pretty much confirms it.
hornbuilder

Post by hornbuilder »

Look closer at the picture. The slides have very different cork barrels. Your slide is not from a 606.
Matthew Walker
Owner/Craftsman, M&W Custom Trombones, LLC, Jackson, Wisconsin.
Former Bass Trombonist, Opera Australia, 1991-2006
Oslide

Post by Oslide »

King's 100th anniversary was in 1993.

About 15 years ago, I owned a 2BSS anniversary. The serial number was on the bell side of the connecting part (not the tenon, the female one, but I don't know the correct term).

I still have a picture of the serial number which is difficult to read. 48(?)412XX. The 8 is doubtful, might also be a 0, or a 3? After the last number there is a small indendation, but I can't tell whether that's another number or just a small ding.

The bell had no goldwash and the slide was clear laquer. It was a very fine trombone.
Ceterum censeo to fetch All of TTF
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

As I said before, those cork barrels are definitely from a King or Benge professional model, not a 606 or a Tempo.

I have a mid 90s 3b. I'll see where the matching numbers are.
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
thespookydude

Post by thespookydude »

tbonesullivan wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:27 am As I said before, those cork barrels are definitely from a King or Benge professional model, not a 606 or a Tempo.

I have a mid 90s 3b. I'll see where the matching numbers are.
Oh, I totally thought it was a 606. I definitely want to see the matching numbers of your 3b!
This is getting a little confusing...
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

thespookydude wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:46 pmOh, I totally thought it was a 606. I definitely want to see the matching numbers of your 3b!
This is getting a little confusing...
I'm pretty sure that slide is legit, and from that type period.

Does the bell say it's an anniversary model? I thought those all had special appointments like silver plated slides with gold wash and such.
MikeL

Post by MikeL »

Attached (hopefully) are pics of my 2B Silversonic Anniversary. Slide serial number 9XXX - located on grip and slide - see green circle in pics.

Return to “Instruments”