50s-60s King 3b bells

Rusty

50s-60s King 3b bells

Post by Rusty »

I recently bought a really nice King 3bf silversonic (from Greenbean) that is an Anniversary model bell section (1993) paired with a mid-late 50s slide. The slide is great and this plays better than any other 3b I’ve tried.

I was wondering if I were to pick up another bell section what would be the best match? An H.N White straight bell section would be great and perhaps something different to the silversonic...was it all yellow brass bells back then or was there also a Gold or Bronze bell? I think this would be an easy way to have another colour available depending on the playing situation.

Was there a particular golden era that I should shoot for? I’m not sure if there were any design changes over the years or particular eras of bells that may have been a different weight or taper at all?

Any comments appreciated, cheers.
Burgerbob

Re: 50s-60s King 3b bells

Post by Burgerbob »

Hey, it's me again... Any age will have some great bells. My last non-silver horn was an 80s yellow bell, and it was amazing. I wouldn't count out anything.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

Burgerbob wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:46 pm Hey, it's me again... Any age will have some great bells. My last non-silver horn was an 80s yellow bell, and it was amazing. I wouldn't count out anything.
Do you think there’s any specific advantages in trying to match it to the slide era? I assume there’s no fit issues as this fits fine with the 93 bell section, although perhaps not as cleanly as if they were matching.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

I use an 80s slide on a 70s silversonic bell... I don't think it matters much.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
FullPedalTrombonist

Post by FullPedalTrombonist »

Rusty wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:02 pm
Burgerbob wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:46 pm Hey, it's me again... Any age will have some great bells. My last non-silver horn was an 80s yellow bell, and it was amazing. I wouldn't count out anything.
Do you think there’s any specific advantages in trying to match it to the slide era? I assume there’s no fit issues as this fits fine with the 93 bell section, although perhaps not as cleanly as if they were matching.
I played a 50’s SS with it’s original slide, one from the 80’s, and one from the mid 2000’s. As well as with a brass bell section I think from the 70’s or 80’s. If it fits it ships.
DaveAshley

Post by DaveAshley »

DJ Kennedy usually has several 3B's and will sell the bell only. I bought a great lightweight 2B Silver Sonic bell from him a while back.
modelerdc

Post by modelerdc »

I have two king 3Bs, one plays well and the other is a dog, sounds unfocused in comparison. Then I switched slides and the dog bell plays ok and the good bell plays worse. Most of the difference is in the slides, and most of that is probably the leadpipe!
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

modelerdc wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:53 pm I have two king 3Bs, one plays well and the other is a dog, sounds unfocused in comparison. Then I switched slides and the dog bell plays ok and the good bell plays worse. Most of the difference is in the slides, and most of that is probably the leadpipe!
That was kind of a follow up question I was thinking about...is the magic of these horns in a great slide or a great bell? And would a great slide still play well with most bells that aren’t complete dogs? I feel the leadpipe on this one is really nice, it plays pretty open and clear and the upper range slots really well. I’d toyed with the idea of pulling the leadpipe and trying my 32h .508 copper pipe, but would hate to ruin a good leadpipe.

Return to “Instruments”