Holton TR180

dxhall

Holton TR180

Post by dxhall »

Were there good and bad (maybe desirable and undesirable would be better) periods for Holton basses? Any opinions on this model?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Holton-TR180-B ... 1438.l2649
Posaunus

Re: Holton TR180

Post by Posaunus »

Have no experience or other knowledge of the Holton TR180, but they seem to be well-respected, and the listed instrument looks beautiful. Hope someone gives it a nice home!
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Early 9.5in bell models seem to be the preferred.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

I have 2 of these. I have a 9 and 1/2 inch version and a 10 inch version. Both completely different. Here's my 2 cents: Usually the pipes need to be pulled-not 100% of the time but most of the time. IF you can deal with the Glantz bar pictured in the above ad fine. As most cannot get the triggers split. One thing to ask is for the first 3 digits of the serial number as the first 3 will date the instrument. Most made 1975 or earlier can be good. Post 1975 you're taking your chances.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Of course this Holton trombone was made in Elkhorn, WIS, not Elkhart (Ind).

The serial number is 547576. I think that dates it in 1977. Bell does appear to be 10" diameter. Were there some important changes at the Holton factory in 1976?

Looks like no one is bidding so far (1½ hour left).
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

It's about as least preferred as a 180 gets, since it has original triggers, leadpipe, and no D slide. Doesn't mean it's a bad horn, just needs some work in order get to full potential.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
dxhall

Post by dxhall »

Thanks for the informed responses. There were no bids on the ebay horn, and it’s relisted at the same price. I think I’ll pass.
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

dxhall wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:57 pm Thanks for the informed responses. There were no bids on the ebay horn, and it’s relisted at the same price. I think I’ll pass.
Please understand that I'm not saying it's definitely a bad horn because of the date of manufacture. And as BurgerBob stated it does have the D slide which is not always the case and it's in good condition. Many things are not selling right now due to the pandemic. But if you have the means and can wait it out you might get a nice horn for a good price.
Lastbone

Post by Lastbone »

Hi all,
For what it's worth, the Glanz bar is the weak point in the 180. Great idea, but completely unhappy to use. When I bought a 180 four or five years ago, it cost me $800 to have the triggers completely rebuilt from scratch, so figure that into the general price tag. Additionally, my tech does not want to try to pull the pipe that's been there for 45 years, and I believe him. (I had a pipe pulled previously on a Conn bass from the 70's, and the heat needed made a mess of the upper slide tube - turned it permanently purple for three or four inches.)
On the upside, the 10 inch bell creates a wonderful, broad, dark sound and is fun to play.
The 181 is a comparable horn, with a modern setup. I've tried 3-4 of those, and never heard a bad one.
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

Lastbone wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:35 am Hi all,
For what it's worth, the Glanz bar is the weak point in the 180. Great idea, but completely unhappy to use. When I bought a 180 four or five years ago, it cost me $800 to have the triggers completely rebuilt from scratch, so figure that into the general price tag. Additionally, my tech does not want to try to pull the pipe that's been there for 45 years, and I believe him. (I had a pipe pulled previously on a Conn bass from the 70's, and the heat needed made a mess of the upper slide tube - turned it permanently purple for three or four inches.)
On the upside, the 10 inch bell creates a wonderful, broad, dark sound and is fun to play.
The 181 is a comparable horn, with a modern setup. I've tried 3-4 of those, and never heard a bad one.
One can pay much less depending on where you are for split triggers. YES I had someone do 2 of my horns for around $700 each instrument but there are folks who do nice ones for around $200 per linkage. I just had a pipe pulled on a 1975 180-no issues with that slide but I did have one fall apart from the heat years ago. It's all taking a chance.
ngrinder

Post by ngrinder »

I currently own a 180 (and a 185), and I know many people who have these horns and have modded them with quite a bit of success. Even if the horn doesn't feel fantastic when you get it, changing the pipe and opening up the valves can really help out. Before I owned my current 180, I passed on one that a friend subsequently bought and modded, and it's now really fantastic.
ssking2b

Post by ssking2b »

The TR180 with the 9.5 inch bell was poorly received when Holton put it out. The Tr180 with the 10 inch bell was an update/redesign Holton did with Lewis Van Haney in 1972. That update was extremely well received. Haney also worked on the TR181, but got little or no credit from Holton for it. That caused Haney to split with them and go with King. At King, Haney was responsible for the 7B and 8B. The 8B morphed into the Benge 290 with a little help from the Kagrices.
===============================================
XO Brass Artist - http://www.pjonestrombone.com
===============================================

Return to “Instruments”