Ian Bousfield interview with the Getzen brothers

Mikebmiller

Ian Bousfield interview with the Getzen brothers

Post by Mikebmiller »

Ian Bousfield has a very nice interview with the Getzen brothers on his most recent podcast.

https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/ian-bo ... experience

There is some very interesting stuff about the history and relationship between Getzen and Edwards as well as good information about the current state of the brass making industry in the US.
ZacharyThornton

Re: Ian Bousfield interview with the Getzen brothers

Post by ZacharyThornton »

I took the photos and was in the room for this! Ian even referred to me during it!
Sorry for nerding out but I got to hang out with Ian when he came to Elkhorn. The podcast is amazing all the time and this episode is no exception.
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

Zachary - I have owned 1 Getzen and and 2 Edwards horns over the years and they have all been great instruments. I hope you guys make it through the current mess and continue to thrive in the future.

Where can we see those pics?
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

Makes me want to buy a Getzen trombone.
ZacharyThornton

Oh we will be fine. But we had to shut down to keep social distancing practices and keep employees from getting sick.
The pictures I took are on the Getzen Facebook page. Nothing special.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

ZacharyThornton wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:38 pm Oh we will be fine. But we had to shut down to keep social distancing practices and keep employees from getting sick.
The pictures I took are on the Getzen Facebook page. Nothing special.
Thanks Mike and Zachary. The interview was insightful and a pleasure to hear. I recommend taking the time (45 minutes) to listen to it.

I wasn't around in the old days, but I'm told that Olds once had the same attitude about quality in "professional" vs "student" instruments. Getzen's approach is truly commendable. And we should all be happy that Christan Griego is a part of their team! :good:
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Things have sure changed around there. I am still scarred from my CHEAP Getzen trombone my father bought me in 1958. Bent hex stock braces, no tuning slide, two piece bell with a folded soldered joint, unguarded sharp edges on the outer slide tubes that cut if you weren't careful. I was really glad to see that turd go. Sad part was the Getzen trombone my school had, a Super Deluxe with kranz and straight braces with hexagon flanges, was pretty nice. I doubt these guys were even born when those were made.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
ZacharyThornton

BGuttman wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:40 pm Things have sure changed around there. I am still scarred from my CHEAP Getzen trombone my father bought me in 1958. Bent hex stock braces, no tuning slide, two piece bell with a folded soldered joint, unguarded sharp edges on the outer slide tubes that cut if you weren't careful. I was really glad to see that turd go. Sad part was the Getzen trombone my school had, a Super Deluxe with kranz and straight braces with hexagon flanges, was pretty nice. I doubt these guys were even born when those were made.
They have a few of them hanging in their office. They will admit they didn’t play well but look cool. They have some great ideas about some horns coming out soon. We hadn’t really even promoted the T396AR and B502AR models yet... they are soooo good.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

I've played a Getzen 3047AF, manufactured in ~2003. Very nice, full-bodied, "manly" large-bore tenor trombone, and a pleasure to play. It has quite a different feel from my end-of-Elkhart Conn 88H. I guess this was made during Getzen's "modern" era. Happy to hear of their success. :good:
greenbean

Post by greenbean »

I agree wholeheartedly. Modern Getzen horns are awesome!
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Bach5G wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:10 pm Makes me want to buy a Getzen trombone.
I have a Getzen trombone, can't remember the model, but a narrowish slide and red brass bell. Very recent. It's a great trombone, and the price is honestly too low for how it stacks up.
EOlson9

Post by EOlson9 »

Used to have a Getzen 3047AF. Only thing I didn't like was how front-heavy it seemed and the wide slide. I'm much more a fan of narrower slides. Thing played like a dream. May have to eventually look into an a 4147IB model!
Baritone Horn, Winona Brass Band
Euphonium La Crosse Concert Band
Euphonium, Tuba, Westby City Band
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Recently have been playing a Getzen 3508Y (straight tenor trombone, 0.500"/0.508" dual bore, interchangeable leadpipes).

This is a really wonderful trombone. Getzen really has their act together lately. :good:

Return to “Instruments”