Martin Symphony from the 1920's

spangy

Martin Symphony from the 1920's

Post by spangy »

I just picked up a Martin Symphony off ebay - what a cool horn. 8 inch bell, dual bore(.500-.525ish?), nickle outer slide with a brass crook. Really big bell throat. Big fat sound, compact with a lot of weight and core. I also have a Conn 32h which has somewhat similar specs but this Martin is much bigger sounding.
I can't find much info on these. Saxophone.org has some old Martin catalogs so I found this;
martin trombones 1923.jpg
If any one has any more info or experience with these I'd love to know more. Its such a good playing horn I would think it must of had some popularity in its day.
Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
spangy

Re: Martin Symphony from the 1920's

Post by spangy »

Here's a couple of photos;
Conn 6h for comparison
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Trombonestud

Post by Trombonestud »

Hello,

Those dual bore Martin Symphony models are really something. I think they are every bit as good as a Conn Burkle 32H, although different.

What do you think of the Chris Sorensen mouthpiece that was in the case?

Trombonestud
spangy

Post by spangy »

The Chris Sorensen is also interesting. Probably about an 11c size with a huge throat. Feels bigger than the Bach NY 12 that also came with the horn. Works well with the Martin-you can really put a lot of air into it. I'll take some photos of the Sorensen and post over in mouthpieces. I also can't find much info on it.
Another thing about the Martin is the mouthpiece/leadpipe receiver is smaller, more like an Olds. Any Morse taper mp sticks out a little bit My DE Olds setup fits perfectly.

Return to “Instruments”