Benge 165

Fruitysloth

Benge 165

Post by Fruitysloth »

Just picked one of these up for a great deal, does anybody know what it was marketed for? It seems from my understanding, Benge was more of a classical counterpart to King's line of horns, with very similar features (Benge 290/King 8B). Is this more of a classical variant of the 4b? Was this horn designed with anybody in mind? The horn plays pretty well, needs a small solder job and some bell work, but is very resonant, more than I was expecting. Thanks for your help!
Trombone Forum User "Jhungate96"
modelerdc

Re: Benge 165

Post by modelerdc »

The Benge 165 was marketed as in intermediate horn. Like all the Benges trombones it's based on the King trombones. The 165 is very similar to a King 4B but with a gold brass bell and a somewhat simplified F attachment. These horns play more or less as well as the Kings. The Benge 190 was marketed as a proffesional instrument, and it differs from the 165 in haveing an open wrap F attachment, and less noticeably the 190 is said to be made on the same mandrel as the King 5B, although for the 190 is was cut to 8 1/2 inches rather than the 9 on the 5B. At some poinnt in the production of the Benge 190, the leadpipe was changed from the origianl, probably king one, to one that played for me much better, with better center. I don't know if this change ever effected the 165, as they all play to me very king like. Not everyone likes them but the 165 gives you a horn that's mostly like the top line Kings and Benges, but at a very affordable price. Enjoy!
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

You "picked up" a fine trombone! Enjoy.
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

modelerdc wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:46 amThe 165 is very similar to a King 4B but with a gold brass bell and a somewhat simplified F attachment.
The 165F has brass outers rather than the nickel silver found on the 4BF. I'm also pretty sure the 165 has .562" f-attachment tubing (as opposed to .547" on the 4BF). I suspect it's also got a different leadpipe.

Return to “Instruments”