Reynolds Slide options

WGWTR180

Reynolds Slide options

Post by WGWTR180 »

Hello Everyone. The original slide for this instrument is trashed. It's a Reynolds from, I believe, the late 40s. I also believe this instrument has a .508 ish bore but not sure. Can anyone offer any thoughts??
Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sporto

Re: Reynolds Slide options

Post by sporto »

I had one like that in brass. It's a straight .500 bore.
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

Thanks Sporto.
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

Would there be an alternative slide, .500 bore, that would work with this. The original is trashed.
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

When you say "the original is trashed," what do you mean? A new slide can certainly be constructed. If you have some pieces from the original slide, those can really help reduce the cost of building a new slide. Even bent and severely dented parts can be brought back to life!
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

Crazy4Tbone86 wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:06 am When you say "the original is trashed," what do you mean? A new slide can certainly be constructed. If you have some pieces from the original slide, those can really help reduce the cost of building a new slide. Even bent and severely dented parts can be brought back to life!
Yes. To clarify. The tubes are cracked in some spots and the plating is mostly gone on the inners. Plating can be restored but the cracks on the ends of the inner and outer tubes are bad.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

The bell looks beautiful.

Since there's nothing particularly special about Reynolds slides, I'd be tempted to get a new (or well-maintained used) slide of appropriate bore and appearance and (if necessary) have the tenon modified to fit your bell. That way you'd be able to use a standard small-shank mouthpiece instead of the "oversized" Reynolds pieces. Perhaps one of our tech members could identify some suitable options.

Probably lots of sources of small-bore tenor slides. Perhaps DJ Kennedy?
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

Inner and outer slide tubes can be replaced by any of the techs on this forum, myself included. The question is, as Posaunus stated, do you want to fabricate a slide using the parts that remain + new slide tubes, or.... do you want to find a used slide that is somewhat compatible and have the male tenon from the original slide soldered onto it.

Finding a used slide and installing the Reynolds tenon would be cheaper, but you are not guaranteed that the slide would have superb action. Having a tech fabricate a new slide with a combination of new + old parts would be more expensive, but you will likely have a fantastic playing slide.

Decisions, decisions!
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

Guys I know that tubes can be replaced. Everything CAN be replaced. I'm well aware that building a slide with the existing cork barrels, bottom bow, and other pieces is an option. I'm curious as to what particular .500 bore slides are out there that might be a good match. Sorry but I can't rattle off every single .500 bore slide out there. Hoping someone could see the light and offer an opinion. Thanks.
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

Any .500 bore slide from an assortment of student models could be fitted with it. All of them will match and work in one way or another. You need to choose a slide based on your preferences. Do you like yellow brass outer slides (Yamaha 354, Bundy, King 606)? Do you prefer a nickel-silver outer slide (Getzen 351, Jupiter 432)? Do you like a narrow slide (King 606, some Olds models) or do you like a wider slide (Yamaha 354, some Conn models)? Do you like a tight leadpipe (King 606) or a more open leadpipe (Yamaha 354)? If you prefer a removable leadpipe, your options are quite limited and you will likely need a newly fabricated slide.

Choose a slide based on your preferences and see if you can find a used one. In my opinion, you should NOT try to find a slide that has a matching tenon because that might not exist. If it does exist, it might be on a slide that doesn't work for you. When you find a slide of your liking, have the tenon from the original Reynolds slide installed on it.

If you do not know what kind of slide equipment you prefer, I suggest that you try a bunch to see how they work with your bell section. You might need to travel here and there to try them, but it will certainly help you find a good match. Take some electrical tape because some of the slides will need a temporary shim to attach firmly to the bell. Other slides might barely fit in the bell's slide receiver.

The term "good match" is different for everyone. If I were to pair a slide with that bell, I would likely fit it with a straight .525 slide or a dual bore .500-.525 slide. Why.....I don't play well on small bore equipment because it feels too tight. Another person might prefer that bell be mated with a straight .485 bore slide because that is their comfort zone. You must investigate and determine what is a "good match" for you and the construction/modification of the slide will happen naturally from that decision.
Elow

Post by Elow »

Was this the horn on ebay a couple months ago? I really wanted that thing
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Crazy4Tbone86 wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:38 pm The term "good match" is different for everyone.
In other words, there is no obvious "plug-and-play" solution to your problem. That's the bad news.

The good news, as Brian has suggested, is that you can do pretty much anything you want – probably at reasonable cost. Find a decent used slide that meets your requirements and have the Reynolds tenon attached. Enjoy making music with your new FrankenReynolds!
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

Yes Posaunus, I think you get me. I don't think this should be looked at as "tell me the one answer." Look at this as a door to a new adventure. You can make that Reynolds bell play the way YOU want it to play. It's a beautiful bell, it deserves to be played!
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

Elow wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:47 pm Was this the horn on ebay a couple months ago? I really wanted that thing
No it wasn't.
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

Crazy4Tbone86 wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:37 pm Yes Posaunus, I think you get me. I don't think this should be looked at as "tell me the one answer." Look at this as a door to a new adventure. You can make that Reynolds bell play the way YOU want it to play. It's a beautiful bell, it deserves to be played!
As well as I get you. The bell flare is not even mine-doing a guy a favor who's not an "online" person. I'm aware there's not one "plug and play" answer. Was hoping maybe someone had tried something before and had an opinion. Anyway.....
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

You are a generous person for helping a trombone-playing friend! :good:
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

Crazy4Tbone86 wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:32 pm Inner and outer slide tubes can be replaced by any of the techs on this forum, myself included. The question is, as Posaunus stated, do you want to fabricate a slide using the parts that remain + new slide tubes, or.... do you want to find a used slide that is somewhat compatible and have the male tenon from the original slide soldered onto it.

Finding a used slide and installing the Reynolds tenon would be cheaper, but you are not guaranteed that the slide would have superb action. Having a tech fabricate a new slide with a combination of new + old parts would be more expensive, but you will likely have a fantastic playing slide.

Decisions, decisions!
So to follow up. If YOU were to replace the inner slide tubes, the outers appear to be in great shape, what would you use? Would it be hard to find tubes that are the same outer diameter and length? Thanks.
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

You previously said "the cracks on the ends of the inner and outer tubes are bad."
Most student horns are .500 bore... I'd look on Craigslist for anything in the $50-70 range and swap the tenons.
Except for horns that may have a one piece barrel with tenon, and I don't know which ones have that.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

Doug Elliott wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:58 am You previously said "the cracks on the ends of the inner and outer tubes are bad."
Most student horns are .500 bore... I'd look on Craigslist for anything in the $50-70 range and swap the tenons.
Except for horns that may have a one piece barrel with tenon, and I don't know which ones have that.
Doug my apologies. I did incorrectly state that. I made another call and got the correct information. Should've stated that as well. Thx.
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

Hey WGWTR180,

Since Reynolds might have used different parts in different eras, it is not easy to tell you the exact part. The measurements determine everything. If you were to replace the inner slides, the stockings on the original inner slides need to be measured exactly. If the stockings on the inner slide are a mess, you can also measure the inside of the outer slides. Whatever the measurements, the difference between the inner and outer slides needs to be 12 to 14 thousandths of an inch. Any less and the slides won't move freely. Any more and the slides will leak.

Once you determine what the measurements are, you can proceed a couple of directions. You could buy new slide parts. Some are as cheap as $25-30 per slide. Other slide tubes can be $115 and higher. You could also figure out what other models have the same measurements and buy a cheap used trombone that has that same slide dimensions.

If you can get your hands on a micrometer and measure the the outside diameter of the inner slide stocking, I can tell you what parts are compatible. I have a few charts that have those dimensions listed. Unfortunately, I don't have a chart that lists the dimensions of all the Reynolds slides. The only Model I have information on is the TO-58 Medalist for the 1960s and 1970s (upper slide stocking is .522/.523, lower slide is .537/.538). The only reason I have those measurements is because the TO-58 is exactly the same horn as the Olds Ambassador. I still see those Ambassadors come in for repairs a few times every year. The Norlin Corporation made one horn and marketed it as two separate brands and models. In other words, the Olds A-15 "Ambassador" and the Reynolds TO-58 "Medalist" were the same horn.
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

Crazy4Tbone86. Thank you!

Return to “Instruments”