Larger bore tubing for bass bone 2nd valve.

whitbey

Larger bore tubing for bass bone 2nd valve.

Post by whitbey »

At home working the phones next to my horns thinking it is time for a different post just for fun.

I am curious if anyone else has tried larger tubing in the 2nd valve of their bass bone?

I have a Bass Bach 50 horn. I bought the horn in the 1970’s when most 2nd valves were dependent in E or Eb. D was just starting to happen. I played and seen one Olds indi-horn that played Eb with both valves and with the tune slide pulled just played a G. It blew like a choked ostrich before you pulled a valve.

The original second valve was set up as a dependent Bb/F/E. The horn was stuffy with both valves. So, I had a new tuning slide made with larger tubing so it would blow easier. When you play a long position note the tubing is bigger. I wanted Bb/F/C. C made sense to me as pull one valve you play C in the staff, pull 2 valves play C below the staff. But the main thing is the larger tubing. Low C blows with the same resistance as an Eb below the staff.

Low C with both valves is in first position and plays very open. Peddle BBb is in a long 3rd and plays easy too. Low B in two trigger long 2nd position is an easy hit.

For those that like the neck pipe taper, a dependent horn is the choice. Making the tubing larger is the trick.
Edwards Sterling bell 525/547
Edwards brass bell 547/562
Edwards Jazz w/ Ab valve 500"/.508"
Markus Leuchter Alto Trombone
Bass Bach 50 Bb/F/C dependent.
Cerveny oval euphonium
Full list in profile
Matt K
Verified

Re: Larger bore tubing for bass bone 2nd valve.

Post by Matt K »

FWIW, Hagmann offers this as a stock option on their TSBF+TSBDc valves which they describe as:
Newest “ TWO STEP” style bass tb valve set :
F valve with 14.8mm Bb duct bore and D valve with 15.2mm Bb duct bore.
F and D ports with 15.00 mm bore.
I don't know if any models offer this as stock or even to the extent that people know they have this particular configuration though but its been something I've always wanted to try but never had the bread to drop on a fresh set of Hagmann valves on any of my horns!
whitbey

Post by whitbey »

Matt K wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:01 am FWIW, Hagmann offers this as a stock option on their TSBF+TSBDc valves which they describe as:
Newest “ TWO STEP” style bass tb valve set :
F valve with 14.8mm Bb duct bore and D valve with 15.2mm Bb duct bore.
F and D ports with 15.00 mm bore.
I don't know if any models offer this as stock or even to the extent that people know they have this particular configuration though but its been something I've always wanted to try but never had the bread to drop on a fresh set of Hagmann valves on any of my horns!

I live North of Detroit. If you are ever in the area, give me a call and try it.

I did this before normal was known.
Cerveny oval euphonium
Full list in profile
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

whitbey wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:22 am
Matt K wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:01 am FWIW, Hagmann offers this as a stock option on their TSBF+TSBDc valves which they describe as:

I live North of Detroit. If you are ever in the area, give me a call and try it.

I did this before normal was known.
Mind posting a pic?
Basbasun

Post by Basbasun »

Very intresting, how is the wieight and balance?
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

That's awesome, if I'm ever in the area I'll hit you up!
whitbey

Post by whitbey »

I have a few photos of the horn in my profile.
The first pic of all the horns on the stand shows the full horn.

The balance of the horn is good. Traditional wrap for the F and the C is bent over in a shepherds crook.
Cerveny oval euphonium
Full list in profile
Tremozl

Post by Tremozl »

Sounds like a neat horn. Like you've built yourself a hybrid Bb Bass / F Contra :D
mrdeacon

Post by mrdeacon »

Totally makes sense for a dependent horn but I don't know about for an indy horn...

I feel like the second valve would get woofy if you put too large of a bore on it. Especially since the second valve is used more frequently in the staff.

My tech actually did something fairly interesting to his bass. His idea was that when using an indy horn you're using the Gb valve more than the F valve for pyrotechnics so he flipped them... so the Gb valve is first and the F valve is second. Ironically he said it did almost nothing to the blow but kept the bass as is because it played well enough. Now... I could see putting larger tubing on the F valve if the G/bG/Gb valve tubing stays the normal size.
Rath R1 2000s, Elliott XT
Bach 42 1974, Elliott XT
Holton 169 1965, Elliott LB
Minick Bass Trombone 1980s, Elliott LB

Return to “Instruments”