Bach 42BOF or A47BO?

Nerby

Bach 42BOF or A47BO?

Post by Nerby »

I am currently in the market for a new horn and considering the 42BOF with the Meinlschmidt Open Flow valve. I was doing some browsing when I stumbled across the A47BO, which is basically the same instrument but the 'artist' series. My question, what would be the point of getting the higher end version? I would imagine that it plays about the same as the 42, but has a detachable bell. After looking around to find potential bell replacements I could not find a single one. So if bells for the interchangeable bell Bachs aren't common and basically make no difference in the playing, why would I pay for the higher end model and does the artist model have any other difference to the standard? Anyone have any insight on this?

Thanks in advance. :)
Burgerbob

Re: Bach 42BOF or A47BO?

Post by Burgerbob »

The A47 is quite different than the 42. It would really be a personal choice.

I've owned several 42s and am A47BO.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

It would be more accurate to say that the A47 bell has several valve options, rather that the A47 has bell options. The convenience of being able to switch from valve to straight horn is definitely nice and their neckpipes are really cheap.. like $150 or something new. Like unusually cheap for a bach part.
Nerby

Post by Nerby »

Any particular quality about the horn's playing that makes it different? Or it just feels different with slotting and tonguing? It looks like the a47 would produce a warmer sound based on looks alone, but obviously you can't just based on looks. Thanks for the responses, I'll have to try them when I get the chance - not too soon at the moment sadly..
LeTromboniste

Post by LeTromboniste »

I haven't tried many A47 (it's the Artisan model, not Artist, by the way), but I wasn't a huge fan of those I did try. They felt like a Bach trying to be a Shires, which feels odd. They all played nice but they didn't have a strong personality and distinct character the way a lot of 42s do.

They are trying to get into the modular market and, I guess, stop hemorrhaging players and clients to Shires, Edwards and co, but it seems a little bit of a half-assed effort, given they don't advertise many options and most options would still be custom order.

I think they have a sightly different bell taper than 42s. Also more rounded slide crook and a reversed tuning slide.
Maximilien Brisson
www.maximilienbrisson.com
Lecturer for baroque trombone,
Hfk Bremen/University of the Arts Bremen
Nerby

Post by Nerby »

That's all Information that I would have loved to know so I'm very glad I asked here. Thanks for the insight regarding the two different horns but sadly I think there's no real substitute to actually just playing the horn for myself. I'll have to wait a while longer to be able to play test horns, obviously, but I definitely think that's what I need to do. Thanks all for the responses!
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

The 42BOF is pretty much what a Bach 42BO should be. They are quite nice, but as always, overpriced for what they are, especially if you want a "lightweight" slide or a "gold brass" bell.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
tntitan

Post by tntitan »

I bought an A47BO after playing an open wrap 42 for 20 years (that my son plays now). I’ve had others play my 42 and the consensus is that it was a good one. With that said, the Artisan is lighter, the upper register sings more easily, and the valve is way better. I never played a 42BOF, but I can tell you the Artisan is a great playing horn that I like better than a traditional 42.
tntitan

Post by tntitan »

By the way, Quinn the Eskimo has some great deals on mint condition open box Centennials and Artisans.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Is Quinn on TromboneChat?
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Posaunus wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:21 pm Is Quinn on TromboneChat?
I don't think so. He used to be on The Trombone Forum, is very active on Ebay, and also on the Facebook page.

He created an account last November, but has yet to post anything. In his listing under Members is this:
Owner and Supreme Commander at Quinn The Eskimo Brass and Winds, studied trombone performance in college but am a community-level player now.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Nerby

Post by Nerby »

I have been looking at Quinn's offers, actually. That's the main reason behind my question to begin with. He has a 42BOF and an A47BO for sale at almost the same price (the auction starting bids) so I was strongly considering one of those. I think that I will stick with a plain variant - standard slide and standard yellow brass bell. Would anyone be able to compare the open flow valve to the Christian Lindberg valve I have been playing on? Is the valve more resistant and if so how much more?

Return to “Instruments”