What is this random horn on Craigslist?

Hobart

What is this random horn on Craigslist?

Post by Hobart »

So, I was poking around on Craigslist with the goal of finding another, preferably cheap, trombone, I could add to my stash.
I found this:
https://chicago.craigslist.org/nwi/msg/ ... 11938.html
They mention that it was made by the "Lions" company in Chicago, which makes me think Lyon and Healy, but provide no information otherwise besides two pictures.
I know this sort of flat-wrap configuration on trombones was rather common in the 50's. Do you folks reckon it's an Olds stencil or something? I'm tempted to look at it but I don't want to drive about 30 miles for something everybody knows is a total lemon.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
JohnL

Re: What is this random horn on Craigslist?

Post by JohnL »

Looks like an Olds A-20. The "Lions" marking is just on the case.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

As JohnL noted, it appears to be an Olds A20 Ambassador. Probably from 1950s-1960s. Easy to determine by bell engraving. These trombones are pretty robust and serviceable. If you could get it for say ~$100-$150± it might be worth a stab. May even be playable! Inspect and try before you buy. (Bring your own slide lube and mouthpiece – most small shanks will work; an authentic Olds piece would be better. The A20 was originally supplied with an Olds 1 mouthpiece; that's what looks like is in the case).

It might be worth the 30-mile drive just to get out of the house during this isolation period!
Hobart

Post by Hobart »

I'll have to convince my mom to let me go then and try it. I heard good things about the A20, and if I can lowball this and get it for like $70, that's a really good deal.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

Hobart wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:42 pm I'll have to convince my mom to let me go then and try it. I heard good things about the A20, and if I can lowball this and get it for like $70, that's a really good deal.
Only if it's in decent shape. A trombone that's beyond economical repair is never a good deal.

Beyond the slide, look for signs of damage/repair in the valve knuckles.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

JohnL wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:16 am
Hobart wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:42 pm I heard good things about the A20, and if I can lowball this and get it for like $70, that's a really good deal.
Only if it's in decent shape. A trombone that's beyond economical repair is never a good deal.
Beyond the slide, look for signs of damage/repair in the valve knuckles.
:good:

As always, JohnL's advice is worth heeding. These trombones, considered "student" horns, were often abused by youngsters in marching band / pep band situations, and could be trashed.

Return to “Instruments”