Edwards bell question

schiffko

Edwards bell question

Post by schiffko »

I have what I think is an early Endwards Bell

It says: Edwards made by Getzen and has the number 9210 on the stem

it`s an 8,5 inch yellow brass bell with unsoldered rim and has exactly the weight like a new 321CF but plays completely different. Although it has the same weight it feels much much thinner and softer than the new 321CF bell.
Maybe someone know what the old numbers stand for
thanks a lot
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ericcheng2005

Re: Edwards bell question

Post by ericcheng2005 »

Hopefully ZacharyThornton will know...
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

You'll have to contact Edwards. Email may be faster than waiting for Zachary to chime in, though he certainly can get you the answer.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
ZacharyThornton

Post by ZacharyThornton »

I do not have a bell book on me and I am in Texas right now. Typically a 4 digit number means a jazz bell and the 9 is a place holder. The next 3 are what the bell would be if it was a typical tenor bell and would match those specs just a jazz bell. I am not 100% if that applies to this bell. Right now all of us are on furlough at Edwards. You can email [email protected] and I am sure you can get an exact answer. Sorry I can’t help more!
ZacharyThornton

I posted a reply but it is waiting approval?
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

ZacharyThornton wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:44 am I posted a reply but it is waiting approval?
I have no idea why this happened. I approved one of your posts but not the duplicate.

We had this on another post from a major participant, which I reported to Matt. I don't know enough about PHP to be of much help.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
schiffko

Post by schiffko »

I already emailed the guys from Getzen/Edwards. Christian Griego said it must be a Jazz bell but its definiately an 8,5" bell which fits perfect on my 350-CR.
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

I would love a copy of the “Edwards Bell Book.” I see a lot of Edwards bells for sale and don’t have a clue what they are. Dillon’s has several of those bells listed presently.
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast
LarryPrestonRoberson

Post by LarryPrestonRoberson »

schiffko wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:13 am I have what I think is an early Endwards Bell

It says: Edwards made by Getzen and has the number 9210 on the stem...
Some of the older bells aren’t on the Edwards Website; even the three digit ones. Sometimes, if you do a web search, Adams Music will show up with a particular bell you query. They still stock a lot of the older bells, as they were one of the major importers into Europe. It might show up, even though they are permanently out of stock. Sometimes you can search directly on their site, but it’s hit or miss. I don’t know how they organize their pages and exactly how their internal search works. Good luck!
elmsandr

Post by elmsandr »

The Edwards “bell book” is just a full factorial DOE printed in standard order. All you have to do is put the variables in the right order and any statistical/engineering software can recreate it in less time than it took to write this sentence.

Cheers,
Andy
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

Hi elmsandr,

I'm not quite following your "DOE" statement. You might want to elaborate. I don't think people want bell taper algorithms from the "bell book." Besides, how many people have the equipment to create bell mandrels? I think people want to know the basic construction of the bells that are not on Edwards' current website.

For example, Dillon's in New Jersey currently lists four used Edwards tenor bells on their site: 3, 24, 135 and 207. It would nice to know the gauge, alloy, tempering, annealing, buffing, etc... of those bells. I am personally looking for something similar to a 324CF and it would be nice to see if any of those bells fit that description. I am hoping that the "bell book" might have the answers.

The are dozens, possibly hundreds, of older Edwards bell models out on the market that are not currently listed on the Edwards website. I believe there are many trombonists like me who would be more willing to buy one of those used bells online if they had a detailed description of it.
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast
schiffko

Post by schiffko »

Crazy4Tbone86 wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:09 am Hi elmsandr,

I'm not quite following your "DOE" statement. You might want to elaborate. I don't think people want bell taper algorithms from the "bell book." Besides, how many people have the equipment to create bell mandrels? I think people want to know the basic construction of the bells that are not on Edwards' current website.

For example, Dillon's in New Jersey currently lists four used Edwards tenor bells on their site: 3, 24, 135 and 207. It would nice to know the gauge, alloy, tempering, annealing, buffing, etc... of those bells. I am personally looking for something similar to a 324CF and it would be nice to see if any of those bells fit that description. I am hoping that the "bell book" might have the answers.

The are dozens, possibly hundreds, of older Edwards bell models out on the market that are not currently listed on the Edwards website. I believe there are many trombonists like me who would be more willing to buy one of those used bells online if they had a detailed description of it.
:good:
ZacharyThornton

Email [email protected] and they will get back to you with what those specs are. Almost everyone is still furloughed but we have a few people there to answer the phones and emails.

Return to “Instruments”