Musical Instruments Online

hyperbolica

Re: Musical Instruments Online

Post by hyperbolica »

There is no "best", really. The only ways to test horns are to go to the shop or to mail them back and forth, which is expensive and risky. I like Hickeys for printed music, because I've spent a lot of time in Ithaca. I like Horn Guys for instruments and stuff because Steve has given me some good advice and deals. I like Baltimore Brass for used horns because they have a good selection and are nice guys. Still, sometimes I order from Musician's Friend, or Brasswind/Woodwind. Thompson Music seems to be the only one who really stocks Ergobones. It's not always about big discounts. You need to support shops with expertise and selection. Loyalty and relationships matter.
slipperyjoe

Post by slipperyjoe »

My first stop is always my local brick and mortar shop, which is Dillon Music. I have also frequented small(ish) businesses with online ordering such as Brass Exchange, Rich Ita, Horn Guys and Brass Ark. I also like Hickeys for printed music.

I do my best to avoid chain stores like Sam Ash and The Guitar Center conglomerate, including WWBW and Musician's Friend. I'm not sure if Thomann qualifies as a chain, but they do have some interesting gear that is difficult to find in the U.S.

I'm happy to pay a fair price for gear and don't worry about big discounts and offers. It's far more important to keep local shops in business, even if they aren't quite local.
Last edited by slipperyjoe on Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Hyperbolica is right – there is no "best" store. He has some good suggestions. For trombones & accessories, don't forget the Schmitt Music Trombone Shop in Minnesota, Dillon Music in New Jersey, Osmun Music in Massachusetts.

All these retailers are struggling during this economic recession, so need as much help as we customers can provide. I suggest not worrying so much about getting the lowest price / biggest discount; instead let's keep them in business!
Doubler

Post by Doubler »

Dillon, WWBW, and Mouthpiece Express have always treated me extremely well. Kessler & Sons also has an excellent reputation. I see that IHOMI gets excellent ratings as well.
Current instruments:
Olds Studio trombone, 3 trumpets, 1 flugelhorn, 1 cornet, 1 shofar, 1 keyboard

Previous trombones:
Selmer Bundy, Marceau
AlexMcMahon

Post by AlexMcMahon »

This looks like an astroturfed comment/thread that is really an advertisement in disguise for International House of Music, Inc in Los Angeles.

Edit: I’m not saying that’s a bad thing but I don’t know if that violates any forum rules, and it would nice if the poster would identify themself in this situation given the nature of the topic and it being their first post.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

AlexMcMahon wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:44 am This looks like an astroturfed comment/thread that is really an advertisement in disguise for International House of Music, Inc in Los Angeles.

Edit: I’m not saying that’s a bad thing but I don’t know if that violates any forum rules, and it would nice if the poster would identify themself in this situation given the nature of the topic and it being their first post.
I just re-read the original post. Hadn't noticed that it was an advertisement in disguise.

However "ihom1" clearly identifies himself in his profile:

About Me:
Hello, I am Oscar Naranjo, owner of IHOMI. The International House of Music (IHOMI) is a leading musical instruments store in Los Angeles, CA. IHOMI offers drum machines, guitars, bass, keyboards, sound, lighting products, used gear, etc.
Doubler

Post by Doubler »

Looking forward to a response from ihomi.
Current instruments:
Olds Studio trombone, 3 trumpets, 1 flugelhorn, 1 cornet, 1 shofar, 1 keyboard

Previous trombones:
Selmer Bundy, Marceau
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Note to IHOMI: If you want to post any goods for sale, please post them in the Classified Ads (we charge no fee).
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
paulyg

Post by paulyg »

ihomi wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:27 am Hello folks, Nowadays many musical instruments stores are online, but it's important to choose the best online store. So, please suggest some tips to how we choose a online gear store and how to get a big discount & offers.

Thank you!
I've been to your store!

What I look for online is a clearly articulated trial policy (if there is one), as well as pictures of the ACTUAL ITEM being sold. For second-hand items, pictures are worth a thousand words.

The website must be organized pretty well. If I'm looking for a trombone mouthpiece, I don't want to sift through a bushel of trumpet mouthpieces.
Paul Gilles
Aerospace Engineer & Trombone Player
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

I call up the staff at Edwards or Griego and ask them if it's good. I believe Christan and his staff. Also, people who have built up reputations, like Noah Gladstone, for a used instrument. I had one transaction with him, and would do it again if I had a need.

Buying sight unseen online, is silly. I guess sometimes you have no choice.

My 396A was bought sight unseen after talking to Edwards staff, and getting on a waiting list to have it built. But that is different from buying sight unseen from an online store selling the same item. I told them the Edwards setup I had been accustomed to and they explained what to expect from the 396A.
Cotboneman

Post by Cotboneman »

There is no question that being able to play test an instrument at a brick and mortar store is absolutely the best way to buy a horn in my view, but those stores are dwindling away, and not everyone can get to one easily, or find a deal that fits their wallets. Hence the rise of online buying.

I can only tell you about my experience with one online source, who also happens to have a brick and mortar store. That's Steve Ferguson at Hornguys.com. I've purchased two new horns from him over the years and have never had a bad experience with those instruments or other smaller purchases I've made there, which included cases, stands, mouthpieces and accessories He knows what he's talking about, and he backs what he sells.

There are of course other dealers who sell online. I'd always recommend looking at those shops who sell online as a starting point. Schmitt Music is another good source that comes to mind. There is always someone at these places that you can have a real phone conversation with, in the very least, before dropping big bucks on a horn. There protections for buyers on Amazon or Ebay, but I have always found that being able to talk to a seller is an advantage.
Amconk

Post by Amconk »

I’ve bought a few horns online. I bought a “Eastman by shires” a few years back, and frankly, I hated it. I was really disappointed. I bought it from a brick and mortar store that listed their wares on eBay, but it was still sight unseen.

After that, I bought a Shires Q from Eric Hand at Brass Gurus. I was a little scared after my previous attempt to buy a horn online, but I ended up with a great horn and great communication from Eric. I’ve since swapped out every component of it for Shires Custom parts, and sold off the rest. The nice thing about it was I was able to test each part because the Q horns accept the custom parts. I bought most of my custom parts from Doug at Brass Exchange, who I can’t say enough good things about. He’s even gone so far as to send me a tuning slide to trial without any payment up front (After a relationship had been established and several purchases completed). I loved it and bought it.

I also like Instrument Innovations and MK drawing for the same reasons. Truly excellent customer service and selling policies.
Michael Conkey
Southern Oregon Trombonist

-Besson Be944 Sovereign with Hagmann
-Holton TR-140 “monster” valve
-Modified Schiller 7B clone
-King 4B with custom bell
-Jin Bao Alto

Return to “Instruments”