What are these like?

Elow

What are these like?

Post by Elow »

https://www.ebay.com/itm/184336963113 It looks good and it’s not a bad price and i really want a small bore tenor and thus popped up. I know a couple people play these but i’ve never seen one in the wild before so im just looking for some more information. If anyone can tell me about characteristics or some quirks about them that would be great. Also what would be your personal top bid? I always get carried away in the last couple of seconds and bid more than i want to spend so i’m trying to limit that. Thanks
Elow

Re: What are these like?

Post by Elow »

I’m not really familiar with selmer. The only selmer i’ve had is my school bassoon and it was a piece of junk.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

https://trombonechat.com/viewtopic.php?t=6006

Don't chase the bidding frenzy. Decide what this older, small-bore trombone is worth to you (probably no more than $500) and bid no higher.
Vegasbound

Post by Vegasbound »

If you want a used small bore horn I would suggest making contact with DJ Kennedy
Doubler

Post by Doubler »

Selmer made a whole range of instruments from utilitarian to legendary. Selmer Paris was top of the line, if I remember correctly.
Current instruments:
Olds Studio trombone, 3 trumpets, 1 flugelhorn, 1 cornet, 1 shofar, 1 keyboard

Previous trombones:
Selmer Bundy, Marceau
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Paris was the home of Henri Selmer; not a brand. The older trombones were Bolero and Largo. Bolero was a small bore comparable to King 3B. Largo was a large bore. K23 was a professional grade small bore.

You don't see many Selmer brass instruments in the US because part of the agreement to purchase Vincent Bach was that Selmer made brasses would not be imported as competition.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
henryTbone

Post by henryTbone »

The Selmer 23 Special existed before the Bolero and Largo Model where introduced in 1964 IIRC. I had one for a couple of years. Great playing .485 bore Horn. Plays much bigger than bore size suggests. It allows for an unparralled dynamic Range. This horn won`t break up, no matter what you do. Inner slide Plating is extremely solid. Very well built horn. Looks like a very well maintained instrumnt. The price Tag looks very attractive too.
I just can`t handle sub .500 bore instruments. If so, i would still own one.
henryTbone

Post by henryTbone »

Two more things jumping to my mind. The horn is heavy. It was way more effort to hold up this horn for a gig than others. I also added a counterweight to improve balance.

What would be my maximun bid? I would not bid, cause i sold one of these for reasons stated above.
There is a large gap between what a horn is worth to an intertested player and market value.
So if you are paying like 600-700 for it you got a deal, cause the instrument is worth it (to a collctor and player).
You might not get much more than the asked 350 out of it in case you will (or have to) sell it again. These horn are rare and not widely known. This accounts for the limited interest on the market.

If you like what we could tell you about the horn...go for it.
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

The previous two posts from henryTBone are exactly my impression too. Very small, heavy, plays great if you like that sort of thing. I wouldn't buy it... but it's a good price for what it is.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
elmsandr

Post by elmsandr »

A friend had one of these in the 90s. Great sounding horn, but liked his 2B better for that type of work. I tried to help him sell it in the early days of online classifieds and eBay. I believe I asked roughly this same question back in the trombone-L days. Anyway, these horns have sold for ~$600 for the last couple of decades. There are reasons they have not increased in value too much over that time.

Cheers,
Andy
Elow

Post by Elow »

Interesting, i’ll set my max bid to 400 and hopefully i’ll win.
MagnumH

Post by MagnumH »

Elow wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:56 am Interesting, i’ll set my max bid to 400 and hopefully i’ll win.
Resisting the urge to bid in at $400.01 ;)
Matt Hawke
Trombonist/Arranger/Bandleader
White Hot Brass Band // The Sideways // The Brass Machine
Stable: BAC Paseo W6 w/ DE MTN102 B+3; King 3B/F w/ Bach 4C; King 2B w/ King 12C
Elow

Post by Elow »

MagnumH wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:04 pm
Elow wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:56 am Interesting, i’ll set my max bid to 400 and hopefully i’ll win.
Resisting the urge to bid in at $400.01 ;)
I guess i’ll have to break my bank and bid $400.02
Elow

Post by Elow »

My worst nightmare. I guess it wasn’t meant to be
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

welcome to Ebay. Happens to me all the time.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

Elow wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:34 pmMy worst nightmare. I guess it wasn’t meant to be
If you really want something, your bidding should be based on what you're willing and able to pay and/or what you think the instrument is worth, not on what you think it will sell for. That way, if you do get outbid, you at least have the satisfaction of knowing that the "winner" is actually the loser - you still have your money and they're now stuck with an item that they paid too much for. Obviously, this doesn't apply if you're buying an item to resell it ("flipping"). Then it's all about bidding low and hoping there's no competition.

The other thing is that items seldom sell for round numbers. People will usually bid just a little more. Sometimes that's where the game really is, particularly on items where the actual value is pretty clear. Everyone knows it's worth about $400, but how much more are they willing to go? $5? $7? $15.67?
Elow

Post by Elow »

JohnL wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:55 am
Elow wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:34 pmMy worst nightmare. I guess it wasn’t meant to be
If you really want something, your bidding should be based on what you're willing and able to pay and/or what you think the instrument is worth, not on what you think it will sell for. That way, if you do get outbid, you at least have the satisfaction of knowing that the "winner" is actually the loser - you still have your money and they're now stuck with an item that they paid too much for. Obviously, this doesn't apply if you're buying an item to resell it ("flipping"). Then it's all about bidding low and hoping there's no competition.

The other thing is that items seldom sell for round numbers. People will usually bid just a little more. Sometimes that's where the game really is, particularly on items where the actual value is pretty clear. Everyone knows it's worth about $400, but how much more are they willing to go? $5? $7? $15.67?
Yeah, i want it but i’m also saving for a euph so i’m not too terribly mad.
Thrawn22

Post by Thrawn22 »

Its funny. There are guys i know that have these horns that love them and haven't bothered to try anything else. Its like the guys that love Olds trombones. They're going take them to the grave.
6H (K series)
6H (early 60s)
4H/5H custom bell
78H ('53)
78H (K series)
78H/36BG /2547 slide
8H
88HN
71H (dependant valves)
72H
35H alto (K series)
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

In both case they're different from anything else. Sometimes that's a good thing... sometimes not.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."

Return to “Instruments”